It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blown Gasket - Doctor Freaking WHO!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I grew up with tom baker as the doctor,after that i lost interest.
Ive watched a few since and to be honest can't stand them...

however i noticed you have a liking for billy piper...have you seen the secret diaries,well worth a watch..

she's not everyones idea of cute i have to say,you have a keen eye

anyway as always heff an entertaining read

just to add if we didn't fight um on the beaches we broke them with tedium

edit on 12-12-2012 by cjttatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by Hefficide

As for spin off there's Torchwood (note the cunning anagram)
50 min (26 episodes)

The Sarah Jane Adventures
27min (53 episodes)

K-9
30mins (26 episodes)

Two Movies
Dr Who and the Daleks 79 min.
and
Invasion Earth 81 min.

I've probably missed some

Torchwood is not for everyone. Must give fair warning that it is full of mega sexual innuendo including the lead who plays the gay/bisexual-kinda time/space traveling hero. They sure coulda left that out of it imo.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

He's a 51st century man!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

You did... There were also 2 animations done regarding The Doctor:

The Infinite Quest and Dreamland

There is also webcasts which star Richard E Grant as The Doc.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
As a child I was forced to watch Dr. Who, because my brother would break my fingers if they got too close to the TV dial....(yes, those "knobs" people used to turn to change channels back before those "fancy" remote controls came along).

Anyways, as a child, I did not get it at all. But I do have a very distinct memory of my brother teaching himself to knit just so he could have a scarf like the doctors....obsessed doesn't come close....

Flash forward to a few months ago. My 10 year old is watching doctor who on Netflix.....I respond "why on earth are you watching that?!"

Her response "mom this is so cool......there are these angels, but they aren't angels and the doctor.....blah, blah, blah"

I am stunned.

She begged me to watch it. I refused. She kept talking about it. I tried to ignore her. Then my oldest began talking about it.

My irritation grew. This was not going away, eventually I'd be forced to watch this.

After about a month, I gave up. I watched it. It was freakin awesome. After a short period of shame and confusion, I finally had to give in and accept the fact that I was destined to be a doctor who fan. It got into my psyche at such a young tender age, i can't help but love it.

Okay. I feel better now that I got that off my chest, heff, your rant is my confession

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Mr Suspiria worked on the two episodes of The Mark of the Rani. That was season 22 1985, sixth Doctor, Colin Baker.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Heff, as I have quite a bit of respect for you, I will say this. Do yourself a favor and at least start from the reboot in 2005. All of the series from there on up to last season are on Netflix. I highly recommend it. It gets better each time The Doctor takes a new form. Seriously, watch it. By the way, Darrel is my favorite character from The Walking Dead, and I am also a huge Supernatural fan.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I've been watching Dr. Who for the better part of four and some decades, yet the only thought i have gotten from this whole thread is this:

My little daleks, freindship is EXTERMINATE!!!

Sorry.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by Xcellante

According to this list there were 42... And wouldn't you know it? Guess who also worked on Doctor Who?

Douglas Adams!

This rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper!

~Heff

I had to laugh at this .. have you read the whole series of books for Hitchhiker ? His other stuff is rad too.. The long dark tea time of the soul is masterful. His PC video game is awesome though it was only popular with fans. Of course anyone who loves Dougie knows his work on The Dr. You can catch his writing style.

Christmas is in a few days.. dont miss the Dr Who Christmas special. As a lover of sci-fi I have watched the Dr. growing up even here in America and he became my favorite early on. It's the longest running sci-fi show in history for a reason - it works. Good telly. I believe we can all relate to The Doctor. He's an alien humanoid who loves Earth people, travels through time ans space and likes to travel with hot chicks - whats not to like.. oh and he often kicks azz too. " Earth IS Protected!"

Because of Doctor Who I loved other BBC sci-fi shows.. Blake's 7, Red Dwarf, even The Tomorrow People and of course Torchwood. ( the name Torchwood is made up of the letters in Doctor Who.by design) Check em out if you haven't yet.
edit on 13-12-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I think, now that the shock of all of those episodes has left me, that I will simply start with the 2005 reboot and work my way up. At least two of the people who have portrayed the Doctor, during that time, are, IMO, excellent actors ( Tennant and Eccleston ) - and I'm willing to give the new guy, Matt Smith, a shot.

Thanks ATSers for pointing me in the right direction and providing sage advice as to how to proceed! I honestly never knew Eccleston had played the role. I've only seen him in film, as far as I can recall off hand, but always thought him a brilliant actor. Especially in the films Elizabeth and Wuthering Heights. So I am sort of psyched to see him playing a role that is new to me!

After a few episodes I'll report back here.

FTR: I still think of Daleks as hydrant plugs with eyes... let's see if my opinion alters.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The older episodes (pre reboot) are really good for a giggle at their camp value. Some of the new ones though (especially those written by Russell T Davies) are amazing television

By camp value I mean

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

~tWiTcH~

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

FTR: I still think of Daleks as hydrant plugs with eyes... let's see if my opinion alters.

Imagine they have control of the world's banks, and it will.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

lol.....man you are hilarious, and yea that chick is hot......The first time I ever watched Dr Who I was around 7 years old and I watched it on PBS, I did'nt always know what it was about but I liked it, I now watch BBC America and catch up on it.....I Love Dr. Who.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Point of fact:

As I write these words I am exactly three minutes and seventeen seconds into the first episode of the reboot - the episode called Rose... And I know that I am already in trouble.

I have to face facts... I am possibly in love with Billie Piper. How do I know this? Because at the two minute and eight second mark ( including the opening sequence ) Rose (Billie Piper) kissed a guy and I got jealous enough to almost try to punch him through my monitor.

No sign of Doctor Who yet, but I already realize why it is that I watched several episodes six or seven years back and cannot recall anything about them other than the pretty girl.

Sadly, I believe I am smitten.

I'll be back, in about forty minutes, to put this hypothesis to the test. If I return and cannot recall even seeing Christopher Eccleston? We'll know that I need to bring up this Billie Piper thing at my next therapy appointment.

GOOD GOD that woman is gorgeous.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Ah yes, Billie Piper is breath taking and you will be taken in more and more by her with every episode. You will also be taken in by the Dr. Who mythos. Just as you get used to Eccleston, you'll get Tenant. He may take an episode or two to get used to, but then you may find that he portrays the character with so much more depth (for the Doctor's personality) that you'll think he's a paragon.

Then you'll get Smith, and if you're like me, that will rankle at first. But once I realized that Smith portrays the very essence of the Doctor, that is, "pure boyish wonderment," I proclaimed him the best Doctor ever. Bumping Baker to the number 2 slot.

The most amazing thing is the writing and how it has grown through the latest 3 doctors and the companions. The single greatest franchise of continuity writing I've seen yet.

Enjoy the ride.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Finished the first episode!

Not bad. Not bad!

Not only do I remember things other than Billlie Piper - but I am also fairly sure I saw a Simon Cowell cameo.

I even got emotionally involved when Rose first said "No" to going with the Doctor! For about fifteen or twenty seconds I was filled with this whole "GO WITH HIM WOMAN! YOU MUST BE IN THE NEXT EPISODE!"

I was relieved that he returned, and that she did go with him.

Now I am off to cue up episode two. Now I am conflicted because it seems like a pretty good show - and that steals some of the thunder from my OP here.... Or did Sir Winston plan it that way?

~Heff

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Its strange cause i likes Dr Who as a kid. Watching the revisting of Dr in recent years i thought its not too bad but the magic of Dr Who was seeing th Dr through child eyes. What is the greatest Sci fi TV series ever? I wouldnt say its Battle star. A good British Sci fi series from the 80s was Blakes Seven which i think Hollywood should grab onto and make a movie out if it.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Point of fact:

As I write these words I am exactly three minutes and seventeen seconds into the first episode of the reboot - the episode called Rose... And I know that I am already in trouble.

~Heff

Just wait till you meet Amy Pond - or the new girl after Amy Pond. Hubba. Amy is my favorite.. I'd wreck her. Doctor Who has as many hot chicks as does James Bond ( and they have a few more skills) But I'm bias. I even thought Donna was hot.. you'll see. Enjoy and don't give up until you are all caught up.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmilingSeeker
Then you'll get Smith, and if you're like me, that will rankle at first. But once I realized that Smith portrays the very essence of the Doctor, that is, "pure boyish wonderment," I proclaimed him the best Doctor ever. Bumping Baker to the number 2 slot.

I loved Eccleston...Tenant bored me a little bit, but Smith is breathtakingly good...he's the first Doctor that I have ever really crushed on and it is that 'boyishness' that takes him to the next level, that and being a 'mad man with a box'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join