Blown Gasket - Doctor Freaking WHO!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
( Welcome to will likely become an ongoing saga of the things in this world that my my right eye tWiTcH, my pulse to beat a death metal conga into my inner chest, and my brain to boil. Peter Griffin can have his "Grinds My Gears" thing because, well, I'm half crazy anyway and my gears were all ground down a long, long time ago. Now? Things just EXPLODE! Thus, I give you entry one of the Blown Gasket series! )

So...

I don't watch a lot of television really. I like three shows currently. Supernatural, Game of Thrones, and - of course - The Walking Dead!!! Two of those shows are currently on "mid season hiatus" - and the third either is or will be soon. Even if it's not - one hour out of every 168 does not effective distraction make!

Usually, when this happens, I would turn to movies. They're great too! The problem is that I browse the menus, the channels, and even the rentals - and no longer find anything intriguing. Everything that I would want to see? I've seen. The stuff I like more than once. A few enough times to nearly have the movie memorized line by line and by verse.

Last night I took it upon myself to try and find a new show to watch. Something to fill in over the next couple of slow months. You know. A crutch. I tend to like fiction, action, and drama - often with shades of dystopian or scifi mixed in. So I did a quick Bing asking the great and powerful Interwebz to recommend something to me!

It did. Dr Who.

As an American, I've seen a few episodes of Dr Who. A couple way, way, way back in the day, when PBS was actually public - and ran a lot of BBC programs... back when Dr Who had the giant, curly, 'fro. Can't say I remember liking it much, nor getting into it as a kid. Then, about '05 or '06 I recall watching it on the Scifi network for a few episodes. Even then, however, I only noticed two things. First - that Dr Who was a dude who does voice overs and promo work for PBS ( at least locally they show it ) and....

her

... Let's face it. Honestly? I don't remember a thing about it - other than her.

Being reminded of her got my memories flowing and had me all excited to get into some Doctor Freaking Who ASAP! So... I then ask the Bing to help me out and point me in the right direction. Where can I find this show? Where's an episode guide? How can I sign up and get started?!?!

As an American my notion of TV is that the Simpsons has been on for about 20 years, give or take and, in my opinion, that is about ten seasons longer than it should have been. Next to that? Maybe M*A*S*H* - at like eight or nine seasons. Here TV shows tend to last a few years and then go away. Got a hankerin' to watch the entire Dukes of Hazzard series - in total? Set aside a week or open up a weekend and squeeze the whole thing in, marathon style.

Imagine my surprise when I start reading. Doctor Who is older than I am. I don't mean the character. I mean the SHOW! In fact it is ssssooo old that one of the first things one learns is that not even the BBC knows where a number of the early episodes are anymore. They just went *poof*. Wikipedia says that there are 789 episodes - and I don't even know if that includes the lost ones or not! Some are 25 minutes, some are 45 minutes, and others are even longer. But, damn, even if they were all just 25 minutes it would take nearly two weeks of 24 hour a day marathon viewing just to catch up!

Say WHAT?

Oh and there are movies, specials, cartoons, and SIX spin off shows - and BOOKS! IN ADDITION to the 789 episodes!

So, it occurs to me that Churchill had a plan.. .that plan was that he realized the American attentions span was going to shrink, due to advances in comfort and technology - so his evil plot was to start a television series that would run for ssssooo long that any future American who heard of it and felt interested, would IMPLODE the moment that they realized what they were in for.

This is revenge for that whole Tea Party thing back in the day. Isn't it?

Dear God folks. I'm 46 years old and, a few weeks ago I read the Disney had purchased the rights to Star Wars - and that they're going to make another trilogy. My first thought, upon hearing that news... upon hearing that the franchise that defined MY generation was going to continue? It was to think "Hey, if I am lucky, I'll live long enough to see all three of the new movies!"

THREE MOVIES!

I'm praying to God that he gives me about 300 minutes more worth of Star Wars based cinematic pleasure - and here comes some phone booth having, funny scarf wearing, British show about a time travelling guy who runs away from fire hydrants that have eyes - and it wants me to invest myself for 789 episodes of varying length? If I were like TEN years old I might undertake such a quest!

I am sitting here imagining myself old, wrinkled, gray, and in some hospital bed, in a coma, with machines beeping and whirring - as a doctor enters the room and says "Can we pull the plug now?" only for my loved ones ( or more likely legal representation - as I have this skill for pissing off loved ones.
) saying "Soon doc - there's only 128 more episodes of Doctor Who to go before his living will is fulfilled...."

789 EPISODES

That's just foul! Foul and dirty!

Hey, that show Spooks ( MI-5 in the US )? Loved it! Good writing, good acting, good stories... SIXTY FOUR - ONE HOUR EPISODES! See! SANE!

But this Doctor Who thing??? It's pure madness!

How is this a conspiracy website and nobody has ever stopped, thought, and posted a thread entitled "789 EPISODES? WTH???"

Sure, people can bray on and on about false flag this and Niburu that... while this entire conspiratorial travesty is just sitting here, untouched! It's an abomination I tell you!

You know what? I'm so gasket frazzled right now that not even

THIS

Can distract me or make me smile.

Oh... you Brits. You do realize that I'm onto your insidious plan? Don't you? A show about time travel and a character with no real name, who has been played by like twenty different actors, in eleven supposed "incarnations" over five freaking decades - who gets chased by fire plugs with eyes and lives in a phone booth!

Seriously. The entire "Doctor Who" script writers guide probably says something like "There is no story. Just make it up as you go along. If an actor quits or dies, just "respawn" him and get another actor. Write out all secondary characters every few years so no Americans begin to feel at home with the show. Just follow Sir Winstons advice and never surrender! We'll beat those damned Yanks at their own game!"

Am I right?

Now, if you'll excuse me, the Bing is informing me that I might as well just sit down and rewatch Battlestar Galactica - at least that's only asking me for about 61 hours of my life....

~Heff

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Doctor Who is the best !

Won't have a bad word said about it

Some of the early stuff is good, anything with the Daleks gives me nightmares still to this day.

When then new "wave" began (Christopher Eccleston onwards), my son was just 2 years old, and I sat him down to watch the first episode, well from that point on he was hooked, he is nine now, and has seen every episode of this wave, even in 2007 when my daughter was born, she was only a few months old when the fourth series began.

When the episode Human Nature aired, and the Doctor's human cover story involved his mother being named Verity, I could have burts with excitment, as my little Verity was sat watching the episode from her bouncy chair.

Interestingly enough, one of the reasons my daughter has that name is because, the female producer from its original inception was called Verity Lambert, she had a very long and successful career in British programming, my mother knew her stepmother, so when we were thinking of names, Verity's came to mind.

Reason I was so excited about the above episode, is because, the character the Doctor reference's in the episode is directly named so, because of this producer.

Anyhow, both my kids are Doctor Who crazy (I take full responsibility), have seen every episode, and a fair few of the traditional ones too.

Try long, and hard to fine the episodes, I promise you will be well rewarded...Even if a fair few are the campest thing this side of the galaxy.

edit on 12-12-2012 by solargeddon because: scghool boy error

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I'm an American Dr Who fan. When I was a kid in 1980 or thereabouts, I was turning the dial on the old black and white TV after school one day, and by accident found an episode of Dr Who on PBS, it was Terror of the Zygons, the spooky looking sea-dwelling aliens that were controlling the Loch Ness Monster.... I was instantly hooked and had to see more. Every day after school from that point on until they stopped the daytime broadcasts. Then PBS switched to playing the entire serial on late Friday and Saturday nights, so I'd beg my parents each week to stay up and watch.
I was fortunate enough to be in the Tom Baker era (teeth and curls), as he was by far the best of the old era. I still enjoyed the Peter Davidson transition, and then PBS sort of phased out Dr Who altogether, so I was stuck with watching the bad VCR recordings or an occasional find at the video store or public library.
(well before the internet and BBC America on cable/satellite).

I'm 40+ and still a huge Dr Who fan. I've been able to see more of the early years and am about caught up on the new show.

As David Tennant would oft say, brilliant!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Doctor who went on a several decade hiatus in the 80s I think, they tried to do a film in the 90s but it was awful.

It was really a different show, in the extended break several things happened that have never been explained properly, the Doctor is now the last of the Time Lords, whereas in the original seasons he's a lowly courier type Time Lord who gets bossed about by the increasingly ridiculously named higher ups on Gallifrey.

If you want to start watching the new series (I think the old sets were seasons, now it's series to differentiate them, or the other way round, I'm using seasons for the old one anyway) then it started in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston playing the Doctor and Billie Piper (the girl in your picture) playing his assistant. She's in it for the first 2 series, then it's Agyma Freeman, then Katherine Tate, then Karen Gillan if you want to look them up.

Have fun, it's a great show!

Edit: forgot to add, you can safely watch the reboot without having seen any of the earlier era shows.
edit on 12-12-2012 by Dispo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I'm only 36 and I have seen every single episode

I'm quite proud of that fact. You have to remember though, it did have a hiatus for 20 odd years (which is how I caught up from reruns, VHS and DVD releases) Well from the TV anyway as some of the older incarnations went onto BBC Radio to do Dr Who radio drama. One of the most used of this was Paul McGann who did the Dr Who movie in 1998 so it was mainly to bridge the gap from then unto Christopher Eccleston's appearance.

But I'd love to know where you got the 20 actors to play the Doctor. I've only seen or heard 11 so far (By the way only 2 more regenerations to go).

You don't really need to watch everything to get started, my other half was quite interested in it a few months ago so I basically got her to begin from the 9th Doctor. Everything else is exposition throughout the storylines so you won't get lost.

edit on 12-12-2012 by Xcellante because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Your avatar has forever ruined Doctor Who for me. ...Nah, I'm just kidding, but it does make me hate MLP even more than I already did.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcellante

According to this list there were 42... And wouldn't you know it? Guess who also worked on Doctor Who?

Douglas Adams!

This rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper!

~Heff

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Your avatar has forever ruined Doctor Who for me. ...Nah, I'm just kidding, but it does make me hate MLP even more than I already did.

But, but, but...These aren't just any my little ponies, they are kick *ss, intergalactic, temporal travelling my little ponies.

There's a world of difference you know !

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

If they have less than 789 EPISODES then maybe I'll give their show a whirl!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Possibly some of the secret of Dr Who's success, talented writers, sampling:
Douglas Adams (all sci-fi geeks should know him, BBC also had radio and tv dramas of the Hitchhiker's Guide..)
Terrance Dicks (wrote dozens of the Dr Who novels as well)
Neil Gaiman (long list of accolades, comic books, sci-fi/fantasy novels, screenwriting...)
Terry Nation (invented the Daleks)

Many more of course but those are the stand-outs to me.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

How about a compromise ?

Just track down, and watch from Christopher Eccleston to the present day, every Dalek episode ever, the two films starring Peter Cushing as the Doctor, and the 1999 Anglo-american collaboration, the poster somewhere above said was rubbish.

It's not comprehensive, but it's a good chunk of the best.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
There is a good sampling of old/new Dr Who on Netflix streaming, and more choices for DVD rental.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

That rabbit hole has not only became deeper... Its leading straight to The Matrix while bypassing The Mad Hatters Teaparty!

Rowan Atkinson?! Are you kidding me? The same guy who played Mr Bean! That has to be a spoof for Children In Need or something... Has to be.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHH HUGH GRANT!

That extension of alternative Doctors is an abomination!

Aah Peter Cushing... How did I forget him? 2 of my favourite Dr Who movies!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
While I was in the shower this thread came to mind and it occurred to me - there is an American show that one could say is sort of our version of Doctor Who... a science fiction based fantasy, that began around the same period in time and is beloved by many. Star Trek. So, since I get bored easily and have OCPD... I decided to research and compare.

STAR TREK ( Show, spin offs, animations, and motion pictures ):

TV:

Star Trek: The Original Series - 79 Episodes, 50 minutes each: 3,950 minutes total.
Star Trek: The Animated Series - 22 episodes, 30 minutes each: 660 minutes total.
Star Trek: The Next Generation - 178 episodes, 45 minutes each: 8,010 minutes total.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - 176 episodes, 45 minutes each: 7,920 minutes total.
Star Trek: Voyager - 172 episodes, 45 minutes each: 7,740 minutes total.
Star Trek: Enterprise - 98 episodes, 44 minutes each: 4,312 minutes total.

Films

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - 132 minutes
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - 112 minutes
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - 105 minutes
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - 119 minutes
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - 107 minutes
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - 109 minutes
Star Trek: Generations - 117 minutes
Star Trek: First Contact - 111 minutes
Star Trek: Insurrection - 103 minutes
Star Trek: Nemesis - 116 minutes
Star Trek - 126 minutes

That gives us a grand total of 33,849 minutes - or just over 564 hours.

DR WHO - TV series ONLY:

The specifics on Dr Who are less cumbersome:

694 Episodes at 25 minutes ( 13 in 1985 at 45 minutes ) - 17,610 minutes
Movie ( Eighth Doctor ) - 89 minutes
107 Episodes at 45 minutes - 4,815

Total of: 22,514 minutes - or 375 1/4 hours ( roughly )

Bear in mind this comparison is based upon everything that Star Trek has done ( spin offs, movies, etc ) vs only the primary Doctor Who episodes.

If all of the Doctor Who spin offs, special, animations, etc add up to more than 183 1/3 hours, the Doctor Wins.

Meh, at least we're fighting back. And I managed to waste an hour researching totally worthless trivia!

~Heff

edit on 12/12/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

The fact that a kids show featuring rainbow ponies baking cupcakes written by two flamboyant men garnering thousands of fans featuring fully grown male adults with an avid interest comparable to a biker at a Harley convention...has been glimpsed in the same vicinity as Doctor Who...this is an abomination. It must be burned, and the ashes buried in a desecrated burial ground where no one will ever dare to venture.

I have never despised rainbow ponies as much as I do now.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

The fact that a kids show featuring rainbow ponies baking cupcakes written by two flamboyant men garnering thousands of fans featuring fully grown male adults with an avid interest comparable to a biker at a Harley convention...has been glimpsed in the same vicinity as Doctor Who...this is an abomination. It must be burned, and the ashes buried in a desecrated burial ground where no one will ever dare to venture.

I have never despised rainbow ponies as much as I do now.

Well I wouldn't know anything about that, I guess it's a man trivia thing.

Meanwhile I shall continue to wear my avatar with pride.

Now run along before Dr Hooves comes and parks the TARDIS on you !

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

LOL this made me chuckle.

I recently started watching the newer version of "Dr. Who." I found it on Netflix after asking for some new shows to watch in chat. I have quite a few saved in my queue for later.

Right now i'm on Supernatural as you probably know. I'm almost at Season 3 where I'm told it starts to pick up. I like to watch shows from beginning to end now without commercials or weeks in between. lol Currently i watch "Dexter" which is only 12 episodes once a YEAR! Talk about waiting frustrations right there! I am watching "True Blood" as I feel like it. I also watched all of "Gossip Girl" up to it's current episode, yes I watch "Gossip Girl." It's my "guilty pleasure" show you could say.

I haven't had cable in over a year. I realized I watched most of my programming online and could buy current episodes of multiple shows for what it cost me to have Showtime every month for one show. I also own them after I buy them, thank you Amazon Instant.

When I did have cable i went nuts waiting in between show seasons! I too flip thru menus and wonder what to watch. My problem isn't I don't find anything of interest it's I find TOO many things and I can't choose. lol

I have watched all of the X Files via Netflix streaming and Stargate SG1 on streaming and DVD since i got the box set from my fiancee half way thru watching the series lol. I think he knew I liked the show and wanted to own it.

As for Dr. Who, wow that is a lot of episodes. I knew it was an older show but didn't know it had that many episodes. It's like Star Trek lol I have never gotten into Star Trek because it's just so long!!

Also as for Disney and Star Wars together. I'm actually worried lol I hope Disney doesn't ruin Star Wars.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Giving away my age, I must confess that I watched the first Doctor Who episode on first broadcast.
For me, the series got off to a slow start, but it got addictive later.
During the Seventies, I lost access to television, but re-gained it in time to see the Tom Baker and Lalla Ward combination, and then Peter Davison. It rather went downhill after that.
People have suggested narrowing the attention to particular Doctors. Another approach is to look for favourite "companions". Obviously you liked "Rose". Some swear by Lalla Ward's "Romana". But after a recent watch-through of Seventies episodes that I missed first time round, I think the top marks for personality go to Elizabeth Sladen's "Sarah Jane Smith".
Look for the early Seventies, then. The Pertwee years and the early Tom Baker.

PS; www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide

edit on 12-12-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Btw OP I just realised you seem to have a thing for Billie Piper. I should have pointed out earlier, after she left Doctor Who she played an escort in "Secret Diaries of A Call Girl" - several choice scenes can be found on naughty sites on the internet if you want to er, examine the merchandise.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

As for spin off there's Torchwood (note the cunning anagram)
50 min (26 episodes)

The Sarah Jane Adventures
27min (53 episodes)

K-9
30mins (26 episodes)

Two Movies
Dr Who and the Daleks 79 min.
and
Invasion Earth 81 min.

I've probably missed some

top topics

<<   2  3 >>