It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consciousness: Observer or Interactive Observer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Some say that we are all consciousness observing itself. Some of those people usually attribute some type of spirituality to this idea. The ideology can include a meditation type practice in where "you" watch thoughts and see if you can separate your identity from them. Watching your thoughts can be considered an activity or an action. The ability to change, whether it be our thoughts or perception, involves energy in the brain. So to engage in the practice of meditation assumes that consciousness has some physical control, which would mean it does more than just observe. Some say that energy is consciousness, but there is no empirical evidence to believe that. It actually is a contradiction of the meaning of consciousness, which is to be aware. Energy is objective, it can be seen and if it was consciousness it would not be able to be seen. By definition consciousness is what sees but is not what is seen. What if duality was reality and that energy and consciousness co-exist together? I'm not saying this is the case but it should be considered in an open mind.

My point is that there has to be more to us then just being an observer, we can make decisions from consciousness. I'm not talking about subconscious decisions we make, but decisions in which we consider our available options and choose the most practical option. Maybe our understanding of consciousness is limited, maybe we are more than just an observer.

I would be interested in your opinions, do you think we are more than just consciousness or believe that consciousness does more than just observe?
edit on 12-12-2012 by Ralphy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Hi Ralphy.

When we are born I believe we have only the beginnings of a consciousness. We have all the sub conscious mechanisms (for want of a better word) in place. We grow and slowly we become more and more conscious of everything (ourselves and every body else). That is we develop a conscious response to existence.

Some people encourage this process once they realize they have it. They speed up and extend the development of consciousness. Some can't cope with it and drown in ignorance and zombie behavior (they want others to do their thinking for them and they are lazy). Such people miss the point of life which is to grow and develop. Such people have no hope because they think this is all there is (because they never bothered to make inquiries). They think their existence ends the day they die (may be?)

For me the point of this life is develop my consciousness. I grow and I learn. I extend my scope and perception. I know this is vital and what the universe wanted me to do and why The Creator put us here. It is the very meaning of our individual existence (there are the other meanings, too, like having children, etc, but all part of this).

Is it worth while to bother if we are going to just die one day soon, only having a few short years of three score and ten? Yes, because consciousness transcends death and the individual progresses dimensionally.

Just like the next level of a video game

edit: I live within my conscious mind. I locked the sub conscious away and try to control it. I use that creatively and allow little flows, like the nutrients a plant gains from the soil.

John Fowles wrote an excellent narrative about this "The Tree". It reflects on the necessity for us to give our sub conscious access to our consciousness for innovation and creativity's sake; jewels we steal from the night!
edit on 12-12-2012 by Revolution9 because: addition to post.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
All I know is that the world that you see is fully open to interpretation. Therefore, any interpretation or observation you have is untrue because all observations determine that the world is a certain way. The only thing that can be true about you is your un interpreted self. In your world, the only thing that you can be is that which remains un interpreted. You don't have to formulate opinions, you know.

The world that is and the world you see are two different things. There is a real world. It can't be defined and the definition of it be true. Only the world itself is real. The only fact there is about anything is that it exists. You exist as a perceiver and a doer. Any idea you have about what you are is false. You just are. Now just be.

Try to remain in the truth. That interpretation builds falsehoods. Everything you see is an interpretation, though. Therefore, do not become attached to any one interpretation and be as open as you can be to other interpretations. That is the meaning and the importance of "staying in the moment". People who live in the moment become open to interpret. The world is that which is open to interpretation. See the connection?

If you are attached to a previous experience or previous belief or anything, you have made yourself not free. And that which is open to being anything is definitely free. Free from everything. Therefore, live in the moment, and you will be free. Don't get stuck on ideas and experiences of the past.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

In my opinion, consciousness isn't an it. Therefore, imagining it observing itself avoids all comprehension. Consequently, we are not consciousness, as I think you've properly intimated.

To figure out that we are not consciousness, we only need to look at what we are applying the label upon, whatever label it be, and there right before us, would be our answer.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The trouble is that society conditions our consciousness. To find reality we must set society aside for a while. Is this what meditating is about? I do not know, I do not meditate as my daughter does. I prefer to go into the woods and sit on a stump and see what nature shows me. letting the energy of the earth flow through me.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
The trouble is that society conditions our consciousness. To find reality we must set society aside for a while. Is this what meditating is about? I do not know, I do not meditate as my daughter does. I prefer to go into the woods and sit on a stump and see what nature shows me. letting the energy of the earth flow through me.

That is what meditating is about. Sitting on a stump in the woods and doing nothing but being and just watching nature is also meditation.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy
Some say that we are all consciousness observing itself. Some of those people usually attribute some type of spirituality to this idea. The ideology can include a meditation type practice in where "you" watch thoughts and see if you can separate your identity from them. Watching your thoughts can be considered an activity or an action. The ability to change, whether it be our thoughts or perception, involves energy in the brain. So to engage in the practice of meditation assumes that consciousness has some physical control, which would mean it does more than just observe. Some say that energy is consciousness, but there is no empirical evidence to believe that. It actually is a contradiction of the meaning of consciousness, which is to be aware. Energy is objective, it can be seen and if it was consciousness it would not be able to be seen. By definition consciousness is what sees but is not what is seen. What if duality was reality and that energy and consciousness co-exist together? I'm not saying this is the case but it should be considered in an open mind.

My point is that there has to be more to us then just being an observer, we can make decisions from consciousness. I'm not talking about subconscious decisions we make, but decisions in which we consider our available options and choose the most practical option. Maybe our understanding of consciousness is limited, maybe we are more than just an observer.

I would be interested in your opinions, do you think we are more than just consciousness or believe that consciousness does more than just observe?
edit on 12-12-2012 by Ralphy because: (no reason given)

Let me give it a shot, if we are just observers then this physical world would be just an illusion or dream, we interact with this physical world, our thoughts seem to have consequences in this physical realm, though who knows what kind of interaction we have in the spiritual realm, my thoughts can interact with your thoughts, or is that part of the illusion my conscious makes up? As far as energy, I do believe our souls are made of energy, in any paranormal research they use electronics to detect spirits or "ghosts" in every instance they can detect energy fluctuations, we also know that atoms have virtual particles that jump in and out of existence, where do they go? The same place spirits pop in and out of, another dimension, IMO we are looking at the same phenomena, energy cannot be destroyed but who's to say it has to stay in this dimension?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
1795 "Conscience is man's most secret core, and his sanctuary. There he is alone with God whose voice echoes in his depths" (GS 16).

1796 Conscience is a judgment of reason by which the human person recognizes the moral quality of a concrete act.

1797 For the man who has committed evil, the verdict of his conscience remains a pledge of conversion and of hope.

1798 A well-formed conscience is upright and truthful. It formulates its judgments according to reason, in conformity with the true good willed by the wisdom of the Creator. Everyone must avail himself of the means to form his conscience.

1799 Faced with a moral choice, conscience can make either a right judgment in accordance with reason and the divine law or, on the contrary, an erroneous judgment that departs from them.

1800 A human being must always obey the certain judgment of his conscience.

1801 Conscience can remain in ignorance or make erroneous judgments. Such ignorance and errors are not always free of guilt.

1802 The Word of God is a light for our path. We must assimilate it in faith and prayer and put it into practice. This is how moral conscience is formed.

-Catechism of the Catholic Church

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy
So to engage in the practice of meditation assumes that consciousness has some physical control, which would mean it does more than just observe. Some say that energy is consciousness, but there is no empirical evidence to believe that. It actually is a contradiction of the meaning of consciousness, which is to be aware. Energy is objective, it can be seen and if it was consciousness it would not be able to be seen. By definition consciousness is what sees but is not what is seen.

Wetness cannot be seen, but water (liquid) can be seen.
Consciousness cannot be seen, but energy can be seen.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
Wetness cannot be seen, but water (liquid) can be seen.
Consciousness cannot be seen, but energy can be seen.

Wetness can be seen and felt by our senses and even if you are talking about wetness in a conceptual way, it can still be seen as a thought in our mind.

I agree with your second sentence, although I'm not sure what you are getting at.

new topics

top topics

join