It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM Foods Being Secretly Added To UK Foods

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Yeah we have similar laws in Australia, I have personally attempted to put a list of products that contain GM together but all I can seem to get my hands on is the laws regarding the sales for direct consumption and use of GM animal feed. Most of the info I have found states that all GM products will be labeled,
but when I dig deeper I find a whole lot of BS about how certain products, depending on the percentage of GM or the GM portions/enzymes being removed, or if it is a secondary consumption like cattle feed to stake, it does not need to be disclosed.
It has been stated that no direct sales of GM produce like fruit and vegetables is currently taking place in Australia, personally I wouldn't know if this is true or not.
So far I have only found one product (canola oil) with a label referencing GM and that was that the product was 100% non GM (good on em), as for the rest of the supermarket, not one product can be found regarding whether it does or does not contain GM, I find that strange as I expected at least a couple of GM product available in Australia.
Soooooooo my conclusion is either there is no GM products for sale is Oz and one company is using the non GM label as a promotional gimmick, or most of the products are within these set non disclosure limitations, I dunno which one of these options ring true but I do know big business isn't interested in whats good for me.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mobidinc

Corn and Soy bean are the biggest GMO crops of all as their derivative products are added on almost anything that is manufactured, if your country corn and soy bean comes from other nations like the US is GMO, is your country produces corn or soy bean you need to find out if the seeds are GMOs or from where they buy them.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
What I see happening is that the western world will give up their freedoms for the sake of convenience. Governments are not going to see to our health, they never have. If people start going back to the basics, living within their means, eating healthy and rejecting any kind of reliance on corporations and governments to nanny us those corporations would soon be out of business.

Common sense demands that we eat healthy, live healthy, think healthy...but alas....most have been sucked in enough to keep these thugs in business and in power. I blame the consumers.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by tdk84

Originally posted by Sevka
reply to post by tdk84

So does this mean that eventually the whole worlds food chain will be contaminated by GM crops?
I am thinking that once modified versions of crops are introduced how could you ever revert back to the original natural ones if need be?

I think there are still plenty of places the produce non contaminated variants, especially in Europe. Just go to a UK store you got stacks of stuff dedicated to organic, non gm etc. As the daily mail article says all M&S products are GM Free. Its a niche that works well, they will never go as there will always be people willing to pay extra for "natural" products

You ever watch the river cottage on BBC. The whole show bangs on about free range, organic produce. They seem to be doing well using natural means. I watched an episode where they were showing farms are using lanes/borders of complete wild grows to encourage insects and wildlife etc. Natural pesticides.
edit on 11-12-2012 by tdk84 because: (no reason given)

NO!! ALL M&S Products are NOT gm free!!!! just the food stuffs , the clothing ALL contains or uses gm modified enzymes and cottons!!!!

For a newspaper to say ALL M&S products are gm free is totally wrong , and of the standard I expect from the Daily Fail!!
edit on 12-12-2012 by gambon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

are GM Crops really that bad? Yesterday on Radio 5 Live they had a segment to this and they were discussing GM crops unjustly got a bad name.

I think it boils down to marketing, especially in the UK, 'natural', 'organic' etc has often become synonymous with 'good'.

All the newspaper campaigns run against GM foods before the results of the Farm Scale Evaluation that were released back in 2003.

nanny culture at its finest. Heres an interesting quote.

"Consuming foods containing ingredients from GM crops is no riskier than consuming the same foods containing ingredients from crop plants modified by conventional plant improvement techniques," the AAAS executive board wrote. "The World Health Organization, the American Medical Association, the US National Academy of Sciences, the British Royal Society, and every other respected organization that has examined the evidence has come to the same conclusion."

Imagine that, The British Royal Society advocate it yet do not eat it. hmm

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Well isn't there a law stating that all food or drinks that are being sole in the EU have to be marked with contents? It is a puzzle that they would let this happen without the consumers knowing about it.

And to be honest i hope i don't get any

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by gambon

reply to post by tdk84

So does this mean that eventually the whole worlds food chain will be contaminated by GM crops?
I am thinking that once modified versions of crops are introduced how could you ever revert back to the original natural ones if need be?

I think there are still plenty of places the produce non contaminated variants, especially in Europe. Just go to a UK store you got stacks of stuff dedicated to organic, non gm etc. As the daily mail article says all M&S products are GM Free. Its a niche that works well, they will never go as there will always be people willing to pay extra for "natural" products

You ever watch the river cottage on BBC. The whole show bangs on about free range, organic produce. They seem to be doing well using natural means. I watched an episode where they were showing farms are using lanes/borders of complete wild grows to encourage insects and wildlife etc. Natural pesticides.

NO!! ALL M&S Products are NOT gm free!!!! just the food stuffs , the clothing ALL contains or uses gm modified enzymes and cottons!!!!

For a newspaper to say ALL M&S products are gm free is totally wrong , and of the standard I expect from the Daily Fail!!

Am I missing something what's it matter if its in clothing? I guess it encourages the market and production of such things.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by kicker074
Well isn't there a law stating that all food or drinks that are being sole in the EU have to be marked with contents? It is a puzzle that they would let this happen without the consumers knowing about it.

And to be honest i hope i don't get any

You will get some. You are getting some already. I just contacted my supermarket and asked them to label GM foods and their derivitives..

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

reply to post by tdk84

Am I missing something what's it matter if its in clothing? I guess it encourages the market and production of such things.

err maybe because the cotton is grown and the enzymes are flushed into water supply ............

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

reply to post by tdk84

err maybe because the cotton is grown and the enzymes are flushed into water supply ............

Forgive my naivety, that matters why? Are you talking about enzymes from fertilizers & herbicides?

That's completely different issue, more like sustainable agriculture? GM crops can be farmed without the use of enzymes. Are you not associating GM products with bad farming?
edit on 12-12-2012 by tdk84 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2012 by tdk84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
From My post

"Marks & Sparks: a remarkable turn around at Marks & Spencer has created entire stores free of GM-soya and maize and their derivatives. This is a huge step forward for what has been a very pro-GM company. See re: animal feed above. If they get rid of GM enzymes and GM cotton in clothing, theirs will be a remarkable achievement. Encourage them to take those final steps: M&S: Tel: 0171 921 6000 "

See there Gm enzymes AND gm cotton...

It seems to me you are just worrying about humans ...I am worrying about the effect on the planet and its ecosystem
edit on 13-12-2012 by gambon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

From My post

"Marks & Sparks: a remarkable turn around at Marks & Spencer has created entire stores free of GM-soya and maize and their derivatives. This is a huge step forward for what has been a very pro-GM company. See re: animal feed above. If they get rid of GM enzymes and GM cotton in clothing, theirs will be a remarkable achievement. Encourage them to take those final steps: M&S: Tel: 0171 921 6000 "

See there Gm enzymes AND gm cotton...

It seems to me you are just worrying about humans ...I am worrying about the effect on the planet and its ecosystem
edit on 13-12-2012 by gambon because: (no reason given)

Sorry perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I wasn't saying there weren't GM Enzymes & GM Cottons. I was asking why it matters?

Why are they bad, I cant seem to dig up anything conclusive on google? Aren't enzymes very unstable, for example when you cook vegetables most of the beneficial enzymes are destroyed, its why you get these raw food eating crazes?

edit on 13-12-2012 by tdk84 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join