It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp Use Up 1.44 million in Just One Month

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

First off, not everyone on welfare needs welfare. A LOT of people lie and cheat to get it. I know someone that really was in need, who went to apply for food stamps till they could get on their feet. Talking someone out of work, trying to get a job. While waiting, he got to sit and listen to some woman in really nice clothing, holding the latest smart phone, making drug deals the whole time, and in between bragging to some callers about how she was getting a food stamp increase, and wasn't that great? A DRUG DEALER, with more money that my family tries to live on, and nice stuff, on food stamps. That isn't an isolated case. We also have a lot of NON-CITIZENS getting food stamps in many places. They should get nothing. No handouts, and they would stop invading our country. Then there are the lazy bums that don't think they should have to work, even though they are physically fit, and capable. People that would rather collect from someone else, and sit around doing nothing. Seen that type, too. Take all those off the lists, and address the REAL needy.

Those really in need CAN and ARE helped, in many places, by local charities, that are provided for by voluntary donations. Each charity doesn't have to provide for everyone in the nation (DUH?), but for people in their specific area. Plus, this is not (yet) a third world nation. People will, if the government stops robbing them blind, have more to donate, and decent people DO donate, to charities. People that don't have a lot also donate, by the way.

Naive? Hardly. Never had any extra income. My kids haven't ever experienced a family vacation. We have used cars over ten years old, both paid for. My husband has spent years away from his family, and we can't get a decent wage. Yet we have donated when we could. We have also had help a time or two when needed, and NOT from the government - from a local church.

Stupid? Why, because the truth hurts? Attacking the person, instead of offering a valid argument, is a sign of losing the debate.

Selfish? I am not selfish because I think the income my husband EARNS should not be stolen from us and given to deadbeats. WE should decide where to offer help, not some smart-mouthed, rich, spoiled politician, who spends more on one TAX-PAID VACATION that we get in several years. Maybe if he would stop trashing the economy, and people could actually get jobs, so many would not need help.

....starting to wonder if some really do need a piano to fall on them to get the point.....

Your arguments are fantasy, in nations with little taxes, starvation is ACTUALLY common.

My attitude towards you is out of frustration because I don't think you think things through, the
fact that you believe charity could provided for tens of millions IS naive, there is no evidence
of that.

I think you cannot fathom America where you cut off tens of millions from food, shelter and the things
of dignity. It is offensive to me because it is so callous, shortsighted, reactionary and ignorant.

Maybe one day you will get what you bargain for and your husband will have to spend his time defending
you home from hungry people, instead of providing for your family. Charity of any kind, even if it is distributed
by the government is Christian, while your attitude is not, your heart is not in the right place either. May
others be bigger than you in your future time of need that will come for you sure as the night is dark.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchildren
I like how some of the people in this thread think that my daughter and I should just starve. Is that what you would want for YOUR wife, husband, children, mother, etc?

How can you be so stone hearted? I'm amazed by the lack of human-ness that some people possess. I will pray for you to find compassion. I pray you never end up where I am.

No one is saying that people should starve. People are saying that it would be better to stop causing job loss, and make people able to support themselves. People are saying that SOME getting aid don't need it, and get it because they either lie or cheat, or are too lazy to work. You are actually trying. I have been in a similar situation, but I could not go to college. No money for that. Single mother (first husband abandoned his family), crappy car, crappy apartment, no cell phone or computer or internet (no one had those then), no luxuries AT ALL, and could not afford food. Guess what? I didn't qualify for food stamps. About 20 cents over minimum wage, and they said I made too much. The only reason we had food sometimes is because someone bought it for us. Plus, there are other ways for people to get help, as I have already pointed out.

There are a lot of people getting help that do NOT need it, though. Check a previous post of mine. Page 10. Do you think it's right that a drug dealer should get food stamps? How about a bum that can work, and won't? I KNOW a single person, physically fit, that refuses to work, and expects everything to be handed to them. There are a lot more like him, too. People not wanting to have their money spent on those doesn't mean they think people should starve. Nor is a government handout the best solution.

How about you be merciful and nonjudgemental to those people who are in good faith and do
not abuse the system?

edit on 11-12-2012 by Thepump because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
What terrifies me is that there are 48 million people with a low enough income to qualify for foodstamps. You have to have an exceptionally low income in order to qualify.

Mathematically, there are not enough jobs to go around. This is a simple fact. And of the jobs that exist, most of them are low wage and low hours. This is a simple fact.

Low taxes won't fix this, higher taxes won't fix this, putting bankers in jail won't fix this.

What will fix this is fair trade instead of free trade, what will fix this is saying that if you put tariffs on our goods we will put tariffs on yours, what will fix this is deregulating small businesses and giving them tax breaks, what will fix this is actively fighting monopolies, what will fix this is heavily fining businesses who illegally employ illegal immigrants.

Basically, what will fix this is when we start putting our country and our people first.
edit on 11-12-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Thepump

The measure you deal is the measure you receive. Forgive if you want to be forgiven. Judge not lest ye be judged.

"Rot in depths of hell" is what I am referring to. it is not what goes in your mouth that defiles your soul - it is what comes out of it.

Regardless of how bad your family was to you a better response from a Christian would have been "You know nothing about my family, and that is none of your concern". The reasons for this are stated above.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
What terrifies me is that there are 48 million people with a low enough income to qualify for foodstamps. You have to have an exceptionally low income in order to qualify.

I live below the poverty line, and my household is quite full of love at this time. We do not need money for happiness, but we do need food for sustenance.

Even if I worked every day, I would still be below the poverty line.

I have learned that my previous perspective on money was very damaging to my soul, and then I questioned where I learned that perspective from. I learned it in school.

I will stop derailing, but you should not be terrified of it. Just concerned.
edit on 11-12-2012 by NarrowGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Thepump

fyi, i did not quote your exact post, i snipped from someone else's reply to your post ... so, please correct me if this wasn't your commentary.

Private charity is not going to be able to feed 48 million Americans, period
why not ??
it's been doing it for nearly 100 million ppl for over 50yrs ... why would it fail now ?

Or do you reckon one meal a day suffices
while not ideal, it's certainly better than nothing at all
and, considering ppl should consume 6 meals per day, your numbers are a bit shy of reality, don't you think ??
far be it from you to realize that 3 pieces of fruit can fulfill 3 of those 6 meals.
hence, a proper diet can go a long way toward alleviating starvation.

tis a shame sooooo many food stamps are spent on soda, chips, cookies, pre-fab meals, instant everything and nutritionally void items. perhaps better nutritional education to those who have to utilize food stamps could improve the situation overall ?

maybe farmers could receive subsidies to "donate" rather destroy their crops ?
perhaps those who use food stamps could "communally" feed their neighbors without harming their own nutritional needs ?
buying in bulk is always cheaper.

at least, that's what our family did back in the 70s.
anyone else on this board remember "green stamps" ??

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
how many ppl even realize WHY the food stamp program was expanded in 1974 ??

it wasn't because there wasn't enough food production.
it wasn't because ppl couldn't afford food staples.
and, it didn't have jack to do with the "poverty" status of the ppl.

want some truth ?? read this
[if you dis the souce, fine, find another, the truth is reported by those who know, on both sides]

www.downsizinggovernment.org...
The USDA’s food subsidy programs developed out of the need to dispose of farm production deemed surplus under commodity price support programs.
- snip -
Farm and food subsidy programs provide both rural and urban legislators reasons to vote for increased USDA funding.
- snip -
[color=amber]The solution is to repeal both farm and food subsidies, and allow open market competition to cut food prices for all families.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Nothing to see here folks:

www.statisticbrain.com...

Welfare pays more than an $8 dollar an hour job!

$131 billion dollars annually paid which is 10 billion a month

And that`s why a lot of people won`t work for minimum wage ( $7.25 an hour) because after you subtract the expenses of having a job you are losing money and benefits by getting off welfare and taking a minimum wage job.

If the "job creators" insist on paying sub poverty wages then people will refuse to work and get better paying handouts from the government, and who is going to keep paying for those handouts? the "job creators" will in the form of higher taxes. one way or another the "job creators" will pay,it`s up to them whether they want to pay people to work or pay people to do nothing.
They think they are saving money by paying sub poverty wages but they end up paying more personal taxes to support the people who would rather get paid more to do nothing rather than get paid sub poverty wages to do something.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus

Originally posted by neo96
Nothing to see here folks:

www.statisticbrain.com...

Welfare pays more than an $8 dollar an hour job!

$131 billion dollars annually paid which is 10 billion a month

And that`s why a lot of people won`t work for minimum wage ( $7.25 an hour) because after you subtract the expenses of having a job you are losing money and benefits by getting off welfare and taking a minimum wage job.

If the "job creators" insist on paying sub poverty wages then people will refuse to work and get better paying handouts from the government, and who is going to keep paying for those handouts? the "job creators" will in the form of higher taxes. one way or another the "job creators" will pay,it`s up to them whether they want to pay people to work or pay people to do nothing.
They think they are saving money by paying sub poverty wages but they end up paying more personal taxes to support the people who would rather get paid more to do nothing rather than get paid sub poverty wages to do something.

Don't fall for this.

Welfare does not pay anywhere near that much in Michigan. I only get food stamps, but I know others who receive the maximum assistance and it is no where near that number, unless you factor in subsidized housing rent. The odds of getting subsidized housing are zero the list is full for years.

I do admit, the rest of your logic holds *some* water and is freaking funny as well.
edit on 11-12-2012 by NarrowGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
how many ppl even realize WHY the food stamp program was expanded in 1974 ??

it wasn't because there wasn't enough food production.
it wasn't because ppl couldn't afford food staples.
and, it didn't have jack to do with the "poverty" status of the ppl.

want some truth ?? read this
[if you dis the souce, fine, find another, the truth is reported by those who know, on both sides]

www.downsizinggovernment.org...
The USDA’s food subsidy programs developed out of the need to dispose of farm production deemed surplus under commodity price support programs.
- snip -
Farm and food subsidy programs provide both rural and urban legislators reasons to vote for increased USDA funding.
- snip -
[color=amber]The solution is to repeal both farm and food subsidies, and allow open market competition to cut food prices for all families.

And the farmers that got put out of business are now on said food stamps
great job corporate america!

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thepump
Your arguments are fantasy, in nations with little taxes, starvation is ACTUALLY common.

My attitude towards you is out of frustration because I don't think you think things through, the
fact that you believe charity could provided for tens of millions IS naive, there is no evidence
of that.

I think you cannot fathom America where you cut off tens of millions from food, shelter and the things
of dignity. It is offensive to me because it is so callous, shortsighted, reactionary and ignorant.

Maybe one day you will get what you bargain for and your husband will have to spend his time defending
you home from hungry people, instead of providing for your family. Charity of any kind, even if it is distributed
by the government is Christian, while your attitude is not, your heart is not in the right place either. May
others be bigger than you in your future time of need that will come for you sure as the night is dark.

Get some real data. According to this link - link - Feed the Children has fed a whopping 350,000 children, all on private donations, in foreign countries. They have also provided food and other supplies to people n the United States. That is ONE charity. There are many. Add them all up, and you would be stunned what they can do, and in fact, have done. You state things as though they are facts, and you offer not a single shred of evidence.

Dignity? Leeching off of others provides dignity? In what reality? Making people welfare slaves gives them no dignity.

You have no idea where my heart is, or what I and my family have done for others, so stow the BS already. A government system that steals from people to give to others isn't working. A government that makes it harder and harder for people to have a job, and makes things more expensive, so even those with a job can't afford what they need, is not your friend. What I bargain for? Worry about what you bargain for. The problem with all the taxing is that eventually, there isn't anyone left to tax. You have toe rich (including the clown causing these issues currently), and you have the poor, which will be everyone else. Do you really believe, at that point, that they will pay for anything? Serfdom will be a reality. If that is what you want, continue to attack and demonize people with more sense. Just don't complain when you get it, and don't expect those with sense to bail you out.

How about you be merciful and nonjudgemental to those people who are in good faith and do
not abuse the system?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by BacknTime
reply to post by Starchildren

I hear you, and your not the only one that has to go through poverty its a hard thing to experience and someone that has never gone through poverty cannot say a word because they dont have a clue of what its like unless they have lived through it..
I dont think you should feel ashamed in using food stamps. And if someone criticizes you ignore them because its not like they will ever lend a hand to you, its not like they know what your going through, the truth is they really dont give a dam about helping others. they just help themselves, there only trying to feel better about themselves
edit on 11-12-2012 by BacknTime because: (no reason given)

Thank you. I don't really consider myself in poverty yet. I guess I'll be able to say I'm in poverty if I have no roof over my head. I've seen people far worse off than I am. At least I have a roof, lights, water, etc.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   

I like how some of the people in this thread think that my daughter and I should just starve. Is that what you would want for YOUR wife, husband, children, mother, etc?

How can you be so stone hearted? I'm amazed by the lack of human-ness that some people possess. I will pray for you to find compassion. I pray you never end up where I am.

No one is saying that people should starve. People are saying that it would be better to stop causing job loss, and make people able to support themselves. People are saying that SOME getting aid don't need it, and get it because they either lie or cheat, or are too lazy to work. You are actually trying. I have been in a similar situation, but I could not go to college. No money for that. Single mother (first husband abandoned his family), crappy car, crappy apartment, no cell phone or computer or internet (no one had those then), no luxuries AT ALL, and could not afford food. Guess what? I didn't qualify for food stamps. About 20 cents over minimum wage, and they said I made too much. The only reason we had food sometimes is because someone bought it for us. Plus, there are other ways for people to get help, as I have already pointed out.

There are a lot of people getting help that do NOT need it, though. Check a previous post of mine. Page 10. Do you think it's right that a drug dealer should get food stamps? How about a bum that can work, and won't? I KNOW a single person, physically fit, that refuses to work, and expects everything to be handed to them. There are a lot more like him, too. People not wanting to have their money spent on those doesn't mean they think people should starve. Nor is a government handout the best solution.

I agree with you, I have seen people who wear designer jeans and hoodies, with nice shoes and phones at the welfare office. They drive better cars than I do. I wonder how in the world they get any assistance. It truly boggles the mind. I was told if my hours increase at all, I must report it and they will re-adjust my food stamps. Okay fine, and I will be honest of course and do that, but they'll just take $100 off, and I'll still be in dire straits. The system is becoming so that no one gets ahead. I want to get ahead. This is NOT the life I had planned out for me or my family. And I did plan ahead. Somehow, I failed. I didn't get on top and become wealthy.

In your other post you mention family vacations. I so related to that. My daughter is ten and we have never taken a family trip. It's hard to explain to your kid that wants to go to Disney someday that this may never happen in her childhood. Not with the way things are going. My grand parents and parents must have been doing really well because every year they took trips somewhere. My parents always loaded us up in the car every summer and we had wonderful vacations. But life is not like that anymore. Not when I can barely afford gas for the week.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by votan
So umm where are all the jobs?? maybe if we stopped shipping jobs overseas. Maybe if we stopped giving an edge to big business so there could be opportunities for the common man to open up a business.

My mom and dad worked at a factory all their life. Started when they were fresh out of high school. It was hard work, but they both loved their jobs, and their pay. They were able to build a nest egg for retirement. When they were in their 50's, mom came home one day and said the factory was closing and it was going to Mexico.

In the town I grew up in, most everyone went to the factory to work. Quaker Oats, Lee Jeans, Purina, etc. One by one they shut down and moved out of the country. This is when the real trouble in our country began.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

@%%#@ those people you speak of, they can rot in the depths of hell.

I hope you and your daughter are safe and find better times, I love you and the majority of my American family,
bless you.

Thank you, and bless you too. I hope all the families out there that are struggling will find better times, and soon.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
*beezzer stares into a crystal ball*

The US will be two countries in the end. Those that cling to entitlements and government and those that rely on just themselves.

No they dont. At the bottom of the foodchain will always be those much needed minimum wage workers. Sure if you are an engineer your are too far removed from those whom sell the product at Target or Walmart.

Then again, Scandinavian countries with a small population rank very high on the happiness scale. They get to keep all the good parts of society incountry, such as design, making ads and engineering products. The profits are mostly made abroad, in America, Europe and elshwere, so the legions of soldiers selling for minimum wage Swedish products do not carry a swedish passport. Maybe a similiar approach can be made in the US. The stockholders, advertisers engineers etc. get their own country and those further down the foodchain get a passport to slummerica.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
The food stamp program is totally corporate welfare.

How long do you think people hold on to their food stamp money? An hour? A day? It then goes directly into big sugar, the soda companies, the major grocery outlets get their middleman share, and on and on - every cent of food stamp money is corporate welfare. So I don't understand why the people eating and feeding their children take the brunt of people's attitude - they are just middlemen themselves, shoveling corporate welfare to the big moneymen as fast as their forks can lift it.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I would guess about half unless they decide to cull the population
during that time frame.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Get some real data. According to this link - link - Feed the Children has fed a whopping 350,000 children, all on private donations, in foreign countries. They have also provided food and other supplies to people n the United States. That is ONE charity. There are many. Add them all up, and you would be stunned what they can do, and in fact, have done. You state things as though they are facts, and you offer not a single shred of evidence.

"fed a whopping 350,000" thats a long way from 47 million and fed does not mean feed ....one of these is past tense and would indicate an irregular event (for the span of a given time period which could be week a month a year ten years.. it doesnt say... but in the context of the article we can assume one year)
how much money was donated to achieve these ends? would it be logical to assume a larger entity making larger purchases could get a better deal on the food?
and regardless of wether its charity or government it needs to be paid for somehow
and if your argument is that government is wasteful and makes unfair or unreasonable decisions then shouldnt the priority be to reform government (which would need to be done anyway as it has much farther reaching impacts) and use its infrastructure and leverage in negotiating deals to do the job better than smaller entities? (maybe raise taxes on business operating overseas and have tax breaks for those that operate domestically.... maybe have a more reasonable minimum wage..... you know help create jobs that can actually support the populace and increase overall production and reduce the amount of aid that is necessary)
why are you addressing symptoms while ignoring the disease?
edit on 11-12-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I don't see how food stamps is the problem when we hand over billions (money we're told we don't have) to other countries...Ive been on food stamps and as soon as i made $10 a hr I got off thinking i had the reigns on life and I could make it...(NOT! ..not by myself anyways)

I personally think people shouldn't pay for food at least for the basic items needed for survival (lunch meat & bread,milk,vegetables,basic cuts of meats) but should pay for other items that you don't need to survive (snack foods and soda...well to make things fair limit them to a few items a month)

maybe the only time a human should pay for food is at a restaurant because i see that as pleasure

Ive worked at Fail-Mart's deli section and we were forced to throw out good rotisserie chicken and other foods (and couldn't give away to the homeless guy behind the store or take home ..they'd make sure) most perishable items get thrown away anyway so let it be free

All in all food should be free...every American should have food stamps especially if you're out there trying to make a honest living...

Free food! or force them to bring the prices down to match current wages (a gallon of milk is $5 a box of cereal is $5 bucks why not $1.50?)

all of you complaining about food stamps you haven't experienced life until you cooked a package of noodles on a barbeque pit because the lights were off (I remember buying a weeks supply of food with my last $50 and couldn't put towards the bill til next popeyes paycheck)...Ive been at the bottom before...excuse me I'm rambling

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join