It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help identify Something off the Coast of where I live

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Hi. I was driving on my road past the ocean when I looked out and noticed something strange sitting in the water at the horizon line. This prompted me to take my iPod and take two pictures and film a short video.

I know these pictures are awful. I have video that is more clear, albeit sideways but I use some strong mature language in it so I'm not positive if I am allowed to post it. If somebody clears that up for me I'll post up the video.

I'm confused as to what this could be and why it would be sitting off the Eastern coast of the US.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
A boat in the ocean? Yeah, I'd be confused too.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
to blury to tell if is an island claim it as yours and make a new country (joke)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
perhaps a barge?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
It looks like an underwater alien post rising.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
surfaced sub?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Thanks for all the responses. My first guess was some kind of Barge, Aircraft Carrier or surfaced submarine. The only reason I took pictures and filmed video was because I've never seen anything like this in the water around here and I've lived here a number of years.

Can I post the video? I say some things that mods may not take too kindly?

It shows the object more clear than these pictures.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
When I used to live on the coast of N. California, I'd see something very like this. They were huge barges. That looks very similar to me. Thanks for stopping to take a pic. If it weren't for fellow ATSers going the extra mile, as you did, we wouldn't have new and interesting things to look at.....

Des

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhoFeelsitKnowsit
Thanks for all the responses. My first guess was some kind of Barge, Aircraft Carrier or surfaced submarine. The only reason I took pictures and filmed video was because I've never seen anything like this in the water around here and I've lived here a number of years.

Maybe you could wipe the audio before you post it.

The audio will not be missed. Just need a clearer visual of the thing.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
When I used to live on the coast of N. California, I'd see something very like this. They were huge barges. That looks very similar to me. Thanks for stopping to take a pic. If it weren't for fellow ATSers going the extra mile, as you did, we wouldn't have new and interesting things to look at.....

Des

Thanks for the kind words. I have a few questions, though. If this is in fact a barge where is the cargo it should be carrying? I'm googling pictures of barges and seeing a few from far away that don't exactly look like what I saw. I'm not saying you're wrong just that what I saw in person looked as if it had no cargo and no place where the Captain would steer the Barge. What I saw and what you can (kind of) tell from the picture is that it is just flat. It could be a barge, that is a very good possibility. Right now I'm still weighing the options though.

Thanks for stopping by.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Maybe you could wipe the audio before you post it.

The audio will not be missed. Just need a clearer visual of the thing.

That is a great idea. Currently doing this. Will post video soon.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoFeelsitKnowsit

Having been born on the Gulf Coast...I saw a lot of these in my younger years, then also off the coast of California when living there.. This is an Oil Rig Barge...with link to larger photo and story...

Piltun-Astokhskoye B Platform Barge

Barge that was used to carry the Piltun-Astokhskoye B Platform (picture #806) earlier on in the year 2007, from Samsung Shipyard, Geoje Island, Korea.
Picture taken 6th October 2007.
www.oilrig-photos.com...

I'm not saying this is what you took a pic of, just what it reminded me of....you could also call the Harbor Master closest to the area where you took the pics, and ask them about barge activity for that date.

Des

edit on 7-12-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Most likely it's a cargo ship. That far out though there's too much haze, so you're not going to make out any detail. There's a lot of busy ports on the East Coast, so seeing them isn't that unusal. When I used to live in the Chesapeake Bay area, I'd see ships coming and going all the time.

BTW, just looking at the Maersk ships, you'll also see they come in all shapes and sizes...
www.google.com...

Could also be a Navy tender or Merchant Marine even (which are pretty much the same as commercial shipping vessels), but because of the distance you're not going to see the hull markings.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Having been born on the Gulf Coast..

Me too, Mississippi gulf coast by any chance?

edit on 7-12-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
It could be a Japanese canning barge. But, they are usually accompanied by a lot of loud clinking and clanking.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I'm confused as to what this could be and why it would be sitting off the Eastern coast of the US.

Where on the east coast?
What's the nearest port?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I live of the east coast of the UK and when i spot ships i go to this site shipais.com and it shows all ships and where they are going. hope this helps

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

If you have Windows Movie Maker, you can mute the audio for your video, and upload it that way. You can even insert breaks in it, and only mute the "salty language", if you want some of the dialogue in there.

Was the object moving? Is it there now? Hard to say what it could be without more information. The best bet would be to contact the local harbormaster, or whoever is in charge of ships in the area, and see what they think.

new topics

top topics

join