It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Spoiled Children of America

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Christmas tree religious?? Idiocracy. OTOH A Charlie Brown Christmas performance done by a church, with a seemingly nice gesture to invite children, is also to me an underhanded way to proselytize, as the story line is about not just the commercialization, crass consumerization of Christmas but also the "true meaning" of the holiday.

Interesting that, as much as most would blame atheists for the decline/secularization of school interest in American traditional cultural holidays, in my town it was Christian churches in the 1980s that took up the crusade to rid schools of paganism, witchcraft, satanism, and, for some, patriotic rituals. Out went Halloween, Easter eggs, Valentines, St. Patrick's Day, and because some church families didn't celebrate or weren't traditionally festive, even at Christmas, schools gave up trying to celebrate holidays.

Instead, seasons were stressed, but not too much, as that could be misconstrued as putting nature over God. Schools traditionally had been a transmitter of culture; what's left after taking out the culture? Testing.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
You bring up an interesting point about Christians complaining about other holidays. If it isn't harmful, let it be. Halloween is fun for both children and adults. With Easter we have the easter eggs and bunny for the children and the religeous aspect for the religeous and the pagan celebration of Spring. So what? Why do people have to attack every little thing? It's not like anyone is murdering people or doing something evil.

Holidays should be a time for families to come together with joy and celebration, fun and laughter, love and peace.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle
The Spoiled Children of America

It could be said that a good government acts as a type of “parental” unit to the people it serves. It provides for the needs of its people, and does its best to supply the wants. A government’s military acts as a defender of its people, just as a good parent would defend their child from harm.

I stopped reading right here. Sorry I wont be reading the rest of your Op though it may have merit. The role of government ( Especially the U.S. Government) is NOT to provide for the peoples needs and wants. The role of government is to be a mediator between the states. Nothing more or less.Once you subscribe these to your government that government will think it is it's job to dictate your needs and wants.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
To OP

Great post and thank you… S&F

I am at 52 and I am not Christian but I love to say merry Christmas to all, as I did all the previous years and will continue the tradition.

Kirsmas mobarak (in Persian).

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

so, with that logic....if a school wanted to take your kid along with the entire class to a muslim temple for a reading of the islamic quaran, and a sketch play about allah, nobody there would have a complaint??
I believe it's okay to expose children to different cultures and religions, after all, one day they will be adults and will hopefully make their own decisions as to what they choose to believe in....please explain what is wrong with that? I don't understand the "my way or no way" mindset. I also do not believe that all these beautiful displays should be removed to appease a minority or even a majority! It's hogwash and nothing more! We can truly put our thoughts to better use than to nit pick ad nauseam on such trivialities. These kinds of people must be extremly bored with their lives as to cause so "much ado about nothing!"

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I stopped reading right here. Sorry I wont be reading the rest of your Op though it may have merit. The role of government ( Especially the U.S. Government) is NOT to provide for the peoples needs and wants. The role of government is to be a mediator between the states. Nothing more or less.Once you subscribe these to your government that government will think it is it's job to dictate your needs and wants.

Uh oh....I think we all missed that boat! That's basically all "we the people" experience nowadays.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Years ago (before I signed up with ATS I was member of libertyforum “not existing any longer”) and someone post this there cut and saved it because it was so cute:

On the way home last night, I was listening to the radio when a newscaster called his little 91 year old granny to talk to her about the 'Holidays'. He mentioned that he had noticed that Christmas has become so 'politically correct' that no mention of Christmas is made by most retailers, we now wish people 'Happy Holidays.'

His granny said she missed the Old Fashioned Christmas when everyone wished each other 'Merry Christmas'.

I thought about it and agree...so this year I will be making a conscious effort to wish everyone Merry Christmas...my way of saying that I am celebrating the fine tradition of Christmas. So I'm asking my email buddies, if you agree with me, to please do the same.

And if you'll pass this on to your email buddies, and so on...maybe we can prevent one more treasured tradition from being lost in the sea of 'Political Correctness.'

God Bless and MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
22% or nearly 1/4 are living in poverty. Many are suffering from working mothers, and lack of opportunities, from neglect, abuse, exploitation, and its heart breaking.

I don't think there are too many spoiled children. I see not enough loving equalizing programs and healing, counseling, help, and opportunities for all to learn art, dancing, music, hockey, and have happy childhoods.

Sorry barking up the wrong tree. Its the opposite tree I see.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
22% or nearly 1/4 are living in poverty. Many are suffering from working mothers, and lack of opportunities, from neglect, abuse, exploitation, and its heart breaking.

I don't think there are too many spoiled children. I see not enough loving equalizing programs and healing, counseling, help, and opportunities for all to learn art, dancing, music, hockey, and have happy childhoods.

Sorry barking up the wrong tree. Its the opposite tree I see.

You make a fair point, and all I can think of when I read the word "exploitation" is Honey Boo Boo....should we be laughing or crying?

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

"If it isn't harmful, let it be."

My children attended public schools in the 1980-90s. Conservative Christian fundamentalists and evangelicals used their newly given political and cultural power to weed out, wherever they could, anything that went against their religious teachings . They wanted to protect their children from the onslaught of what they perceived as harmful things in the world outside their church.

Certain cultural holidays were deemed papist, while other holiday traditions were seen as pagan worship. Teachers increasingly were hard-pressed to find alternative activities and to honor parents' wishes to exempt their children from school activities. A homework worksheet which happened to have a small simple illustration of, say even a maypole, was seen as proof that public schools were in league with Satan or promoting godless Communism.

Religious correctness married political correctness.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join