It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Went to Social Security office in Texas and didn't hear English spoken for 30 minutes

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
Had laws been enforced, we wouldn't have as many here. All other cultures came here and learned english and now they have to learn spanish too? I can't learn enough to communicate in one foreign language never mind two.

Chill. I'm more anti-immigration than you are. Trust me. That out of the way, one must use their common sense. No matter what cause, the infiltrators are here and they are a part of our society. And I'm a civil person.

I concede I was lucky, English is a relatively primitive language when it comes to learning one. This only goes to show there is no excuse to not learn it!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Did I tell you that I worked for 8 years having to listen to spanish on and of all day long? Only two people didn't know a word of english. All the other spanish speakers knew and understood english. We had people from Africa, India and some Asian countries as well, but it was spanish I was forced to hear. It drove me insane.

I have to say that it felt like I was the one who left my country. It was a very strange feeling. And our supervisor who also spoke spanish would have our important meetings in spanish first then english. I spoke to the boss about it and asked what he thought. We never had another meeting in spanish first after that. Don't you think out of common curtesy, because a number of languages were spoken and they all knew english except for two people, that english would be spoken?

When everyone was speaking english we would all laugh and talk and share our lives together. When they spoke spanish they said it was just because it was easier. The other cultures when amongst themselves would start speaking english when others were around out of respect. They didn't like to exclude anyone. I don't know. Seems to me there would be more harmony if we were all united by a common language. The host country shouldn't have to change for one group. That's what I think and feel anyway.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

The other cultures when amongst themselves would start speaking english when others were around out of respect. They didn't like to exclude anyone. I don't know. Seems to me there would be more harmony if we were all united by a common language. The host country shouldn't have to change for one group. That's what I think and feel anyway.

Right on.

I just realized to day that I had an experience many years ago reminiscent of the OP, but in a way more significant.

I went to Columbia dental to get my teeth fixed. As usual, they take X-rays and all that. The X-ray machine was in a separate room (not unusual either). What was unusual was the following. The sign on the wall said:

"If you are pregnant, or you think you might be pregnant, please notify the technician".

The kicker is, the sign was in Spanish. There was no English equivalent anywhere to be found. It's like, Anglophone women don't ever get pregnant or something, or they have a skin of lead, which will protect the fetus from the harmful X-rays.

I still am not sure why I didn't raise hell back there and then.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoYouEvenLift
It pains me that you have not seen how your comments have been made from an incredibly egocentric view of the world.

"Egocentric"? Really? No, you have it all backwards and upside-down, as usual. It is Hispanics that are egocentric, in demanding that everyone cater to them. It is Hispanics that come here, more often illegally than legally, and demand that the entire country adapt their language, their customs, their FLAGS. It is Hispanics that don't want U.S. citizenship, which would require them to learn English (link). There are exceptions to this, of course. I know a very sweet lady that was born in Puerto Rico, who became a citizen. She speaks flawless English, she is immensely patriotic, and she loves being an American citizen. There are more like her, but MOST Hispanics that come here are different. They celebrate Mexican holidays, and even prevent American students from displaying ANY American flags, on AMERICAN soil, on their Cinco de Mayo holidays. They march in demonstrations, shouting that this is part of Mexico, waving Mexican flags, tromping on and burning American flags, wearing masks like criminals, and speaking all of that in Spanish. They threaten non-Hispanics that show up at any such demonstrations (I have seen a LOT of videos of that). They do NOT WANT to be U.S. citizens; they want to make the U.S. part of Mexico. THAT is why they refuse to learn the language, push their customs, break our laws (and being here illegally makes one a criminal....duh), and make no effort at all to be a real part of the country they chose to live in. No other group of immigrants acts this way. Not one.

As for me, I have LIVED IN another country, and traveled to several others. I did make an effort to learn some of the local language, even though we were only there for three years, so that I could manage. Not I, nor anyone I knew, was ever offended that some did not speak English. None of us expected to shop in local stores and have labels printed half in English for us. To do so would have been rude. You know, like we see in this country daily.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

It amazes me that out of the over 300 languages spoken here, people think that the spanish speaking population is special and above all else. Millions of them are above the law and come here illeglly, we are forced to speak 'their' language... something isn't right here.

It amazes me that people don't see how english can unite us all instead of seperating us. How can they possibly see that as wrong? Why are the spanish speakers catered to at every turn, placed above all others? And when we defend our common language that unites and brings people together, we are called names. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Would anyone go to another country and demand and expect that the country cater to them? Would they??? No, of course not. Of course they wouldn't. yet somehow most Latinos are soooooooo special and better than anyone else that we have to speak 'their' language. Why?
edit on 18-12-2012 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

There are really only two options. Either they refuse to learn the language, because they want to transform this nation to the sort of craphole they left, or they are incapable of learning another language. It never ceases to amaze me how people defending those actions will claim they have some cultural protection, while refusing to admit that they have no respect for any other culture.

Shame, really, because I have known some wonderful people who were Hispanic. Every single one of them thought this sort of thing was as ridiculous as do you and I. One, for example, was the head maintenance man at a hotel I worked at for years. VERY sweet guy, one of my all-time favorite people. He was appalled at how the head housekeeper was acting in her hiring, because, until she got busted for it, she refused to hire non-Hispanic workers, and most she hired spoke no English at all, and were not even citizens. And, yes, we had a LOT of people apply that weren't Hispanic, too. I know, because I was the person that received all of the applications. That situation only changed because we got complaints, and the GM jumped on her for being so racist. She was, needless to say, all offended, and shot us hateful looks at every turn after that. That maintenance man? Only time I ever heard him speak Spanish was if needed to translate for someone. He was fluent in it, too. Too bad most aren't like him! In more ways than language, too - such a wonderful, sweet person!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

I too witnessed the hiring of illegals while citizens who desperately needed the job were turned away. That's scary when you think about it, when a foreigner is placed above a citizen. These people were perfectly qualified, had families to feed and were turned away. More job opportunities are lost when they are required to speak a foreign language in some areas to get a job. Not good.Look at all the constructions companies that have had to fold because they couldn't compete with those hiring illegals under the table and paying such cheap wages. They made bigger profits because of dishonesty and hiring people who had no business being here in the first place. ..

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I too witnessed the hiring of illegals while citizens who desperately needed the job were turned away. That's scary when you think about it, when a foreigner is placed above a citizen. These people were perfectly qualified, had families to feed and were turned away. More job opportunities are lost when they are required to speak a foreign language in some areas to get a job. Not good.Look at all the constructions companies that have had to fold because they couldn't compete with those hiring illegals under the table and paying such cheap wages. They made bigger profits because of dishonesty and hiring people who had no business being here in the first place. ..

Oh, I experienced first hand that business of not being hired because I didn't speak Spanish! That was, mind you, more than twenty years ago, and it's worse in a lot of places now than it was then. Never mind that I had worked in that field for years, and didn't need Spanish; I was told I could not be hired. Really, I should have filed a lawsuit for discrimination, but I was too busty trying to support myself and my daughter.

The worst part is how people won't even call them illegal aliens anymore. No, they get called "immigrants". They aren't immigrants, and they are invaders, and most have no desire to even be citizens!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Cornczech

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FuturePeace

This thread seriously died because of this picture?
I don't have anything to add here, because I'm just too angry. Let me just say, that I live near El Paso, and I know what OP is talking about. I speak Spanish, but I shouldn't have to...not in my own country.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

You do realize that tribes fought each other for food and land right? You do realize that there isn't a person alive today who had anything to do with what happened back then. Right?

Today we are the USA. The most common language is english.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Thank you. You said what I was trying to say, but I kept sounding too angry about it. Yes, what happened to the natives of this country was deplorable. But we've made such progress since then. Are we willing to negate that, so feelings don't get hurt?
I hope not. I do NOT want this country to turn into Mexico. Look at pictures of Juarez, and tell me that's what you want this country to be.
If so, get out, is what I say.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

I know! They either call them immigrants or undocumented immigrants. They are not undocumented, they have fraudulent papers. Do we call a bank robber 'financially challenged'? LOL

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britster1821

This thread seriously died because of this picture?
I don't have anything to add here, because I'm just too angry. Let me just say, that I live near El Paso, and I know what OP is talking about. I speak Spanish, but I shouldn't have to...not in my own country.

You're absolutely right, you should not have to speak a foreign language in your own country. And people wonder why we are resentful. I wouldn't go to their country and expect them to cater to me and speak 'my' language'. That is arrogant and rude.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

I know! They either call them immigrants or undocumented immigrants. They are not undocumented, they have fraudulent papers. Do we call a bank robber 'financially challenged'? LOL

Give them time..... They call thugs that attack people "innocent teenagers", already. They blame the actions of gang members on their upbringing, their environment, their parents; anything and everything but themselves.

Of course, the politicians cater to the illegal invaders, because they want to use them to steal elections.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

I've heard, "Not my mijo (son), he could NEVER do that!" SO many times here. I used to work at the county jail, and I swear...anytime someone does something wrong, it's "not my kid." Uh, yeah, your kid killed someone. Take some personal responsibility, or realize that your kid is NOT innocent.
It's a running joke in my family that I've always been the good kid, but I got punished when I was a kid. My brother, who is half hispanic, has been in trouble with the law a few times. He went to jail recently, and of course, my mom bailed him out...first thing out of her mouth? "Oh mijo, do you need cigarettes? Are you hungry?" Guaranteed if it were me, I'd get my butt kicked...even at 25 years old.
But I digress, I'm getting off topic here. I just want to say that I agree with you both.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Britster1821

Sounds like how my mom was with my brother......he's a total loss at this stage, too. Literally.

I never could understand parents like that. One of mine is in trouble, they'd better worry about what I will do to them, not just some authorities!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Culture shock affects us in many ways.
Just a bit of advice...the world is a really big place.
Open your heart... as the song says...it will astound you.
No future in hate...just the devils embrace.
The universe is big ...really big.
There is room for all in the inn.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrionsWitness
Culture shock affects us in many ways.
Just a bit of advice...the world is a really big place.
Open your heart... as the song says...it will astound you.
No future in hate...just the devils embrace.
The universe is big ...really big.
There is room for all in the inn.

It is time for the spanish speakers to open their own hearts and embrace their new country instead of remaining seperate and demanding special treatment. The point is that all cultures have respected and spoken english here except for one. That one is forcing everyone else to change for them. How is that hate on our part?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I think you may find the spanish american war may have shaped their outlook...traditionally the Spanish hated the English , they fought wars and Spain tried in vain to invade England.
The point Iam making is this is happenning all over the world , in Australia its the Chinese and those from India ect who go around speaking their own tongues.
But there is nothing to do...its legal and the way the world is.
So the issue is are you going to get bitter or get on with your life?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrionsWitness
I think you may find the spanish american war may have shaped their outlook...traditionally the Spanish hated the English , they fought wars and Spain tried in vain to invade England.
The point Iam making is this is happenning all over the world , in Australia its the Chinese and those from India ect who go around speaking their own tongues.
But there is nothing to do...its legal and the way the world is.
So the issue is are you going to get bitter or get on with your life?

As long as I continue to see citizens lose out on job opportunities that have nothing to do with international business where they are forced to speak spanish, as long as we are made to feel as strangers in our own country and have foreigners come first, I shall voice my opinion and fight for English to become federally recognized as the official language. For too many years people said and did nothing.

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23 >>

join