It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Went to Social Security office in Texas and didn't hear English spoken for 30 minutes

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by DoYouEvenLift
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Since there isn't an official language, there is no legal definition of 'forgein language'. Your argument is invalid.

Ahhh, so you are speaking Legalese now?

Dude...

The issue clearly isn't ethics or morality, and if it isn't legality.. what exactly is the problem?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

You aren't the person I was referring to in my post. Your points mean little.

You say that my points mean little for one and one reason only -- you have nothing to prove me wrong. I'm an immigrant and a believer in common civility and being able to speak a common language. You, on the other hand, have a hang-up on "genocide" that any English speaker purportedly dreams about around Hispanics. Duh.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

No. The reason your points mean little is because you are taking sentiments that were meant for another poster and ascribing them to your experience. They literally do not mean anything inside of the context of my original point.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

No. The reason your points mean little is because you are taking sentiments that were meant for another poster and ascribing them to your experience. They literally do not mean anything inside of the context of my original point.

Actually, they don't. They have nothing with "inside context" of your post, because that "inside" is just so silly. And what I posted was a comment on this, so it's quite "outside".

So, when are you moving to Mexico?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

The ONLY reason English isn't an official language is because of the hispanic lobbying.

As for the rest, people can comment on anything you post, whether it was addressed to them or not. That's what these threads are for.

So far, none of your arguments have meant much at all, from what I can see.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

The ONLY reason English isn't an official language is because of the hispanic lobbying.

As for the rest, people can comment on anything you post, whether it was addressed to them or not. That's what these threads are for.

So far, none of your arguments have meant much at all, from what I can see.

I cannot speak to the "only" reason for anything, let alone something as complex as cultural history of language evolution. You have me at a disadvantage and I would love to know how you came about that information.

You are correct that people can comment on anything, but when people try to project their own experiences on responses that were clearly not meant for them, and ask extrapolations based on those projections, they tend to not have any value.

It pains me that you have not seen how your comments have been made from an incredibly egocentric view of the world.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Actually, they don't. They have nothing with "inside context" of your post, because that "inside" is just so silly. And what I posted was a comment on this, so it's quite "outside".

So, when are you moving to Mexico?

Why would I move to Mexico? Isn't the line of Amuricans "Love it or Leave it"?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Since there isn't an official language, there is no legal definition of 'forgein language'. Your argument is invalid.

We never had to fight for it to be 'official', it was always understood that english was the common language spoken. When immigrants come here to live, they are required to learn english. All other cultures speak english and don't demand and expect that we cater to them in 'their' language.

It is only the spanish speaking community who refuses to speak it and who has changed things all acros the USA. It is disrespectful and rude.
edit on 17-12-2012 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
It amazes me that out of the over 300 languages spoken here, people think that the spanish speaking population is special and above all else. Millions of them are above the law and come here illeglly, we are forced to speak 'their' language... something isn't right here.

It amazes me that people don't see how english can unite us all instead of seperating us. How can they possibly see that as wrong? Why are the spanish speakers catered to at every turn, placed above all others? And when we defend our common language that unites and brings people together, we are called names. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Would anyone go to another country and demand and expect that the country cater to them? Would they??? No, of course not. Of course they wouldn't. yet somehow most Latinos are soooooooo special and better than anyone else that we have to speak 'their' language. Why?
edit on 18-12-2012 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
It amazes me that out of the over 300 languages spoken here, people think that the spanish speaking population is special and above all else.

Well look, this is just practical. The Hispanics are the largest "minority" group, which may soon become a majority. And then I think it would be normal for me to learn Spanish after all. After a few more years.

But for now, I'd much rather stick with English.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

We never had to fight for it to be 'official', it was always understood that english was the common language spoken. When immigrants come here to live, they are required to learn english. All other cultures speak english and don't demand and expect that we cater to them in 'their' language.

It is only the spanish speaking community who refuses to speak it and who has changed things all acros the USA. It is disrespectful and rude.

Where is the requirement for immigrants to be English speakers?

In the city that I live in, I routinely see public signage in Russian, Cantonese, and Spanish. But yeah, keep thinking it is only the Spanish speaking people whom "refuse" to speak English.

Your prejudice is showing.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Would anyone go to another country and demand and expect that the country cater to them? Would they??? No, of course not.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Oh man, that is FUNNY!

Nope. An American has NEVER gone overseas and demanded to be spoken to in English.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

In the city that I live in, I routinely see public signage in Russian, Cantonese, and Spanish. But yeah, keep thinking it is only the Spanish speaking people whom "refuse" to speak English.

I've never heard Cantonese or Russian spoken in a public office. My family could use a bit of the latter, but we think it's completely normal for us to have the obligation to communicate in English. I've actually rarely met a Russian immigrant who wasn't functional in English, and I've met quite a few. Hispanics are a different story. Visit the Spanish Harlem in New York City and try your luck.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I've never heard Cantonese or Russian spoken in a public office. My family could use a bit of the latter, but we think it's completely normal for us to have the obligation to communicate in English. I've actually rarely met a Russian immigrant who wasn't functional in English, and I've met quite a few. Hispanics are a different story. Visit the Spanish Harlem in New York City and try your luck.

You are in the wrong city then, my friend. Come to Portland. For instance, my son goes to school in a Chinese immersion elementary. We enjoy a very rich, respectful, and diverse population... as long as you aren't black. We just don't have a very large black population here. I could get into why, but that is for an entirely different thread.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

It amazes me that out of the over 300 languages spoken here, people think that the spanish speaking population is special and above all else.

Well look, this is just practical. The Hispanics are the largest "minority" group, which may soon become a majority. And then I think it would be normal for me to learn Spanish after all. After a few more years.

They are the largest minority group because of the millions of illegal immigrants who disrepect our laws to come here. So now we have to change to accomidate them? Had laws been enforced, we wouldn't have as many here. All other cultures came here and learned english and now they have to learn spanish too? I can't learn enough to communicate in one foreign language never mind two.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Would anyone go to another country and demand and expect that the country cater to them? Would they??? No, of course not.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Oh man, that is FUNNY!

Nope. An American has NEVER gone overseas and demanded to be spoken to in English.

I meant going there to live. Anyone who wishes to survive and thrive in a foreign country would learn the language of that country. Anyone out of respect, would learn the language of their new country. I could never move to a foreign country because I am bad with languages. I would never expect them to change for me.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Oh man, that is FUNNY!

I meant going there to live. Anyone who wishes to survive and thrive in a foreign country would learn the language of that country. Anyone out of respect, would learn the language of their new country. I could never move to a foreign country because I am bad with languages. I would never expect them to change for me.

Regardless of what you meant, the notion just isn't how the world works.

People move to other countries without knowing the language all of the time.

I know of 5 people off the top of my head (non-military, that is an entirely different can of worms) that I personally know who were relocated to countries that were incapable of speaking the language. Usually it is the families and spouses of people moving for work.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

They are the largest minority group because of the millions of illegal immigrants who disrepect our laws to come here. So now we have to change to accomidate them? Had laws been enforced, we wouldn't have as many here. All other cultures came here and learned english and now they have to learn spanish too? I can't learn enough to communicate in one foreign language never mind two.

As an American, you have to love the irony that you are mad because you have to change because some group of people is moving into your land and not speaking your language.
edit on 18-12-2012 by DoYouEvenLift because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

When someone comes to our country and wants to be a citizen, they are required to speak english. I have posted links on another page in this thread. I have never seen signs in the languages you mentioned, only english and spanish. That doesn't make me prejudice. I have mentioned enough times that people are people and it doesn't matter what color or culture they are.

I enjoy diversity. I am against one group changing things all across the USA. I resent that all other cultures are now required in many areas to speak a foreign langauge just to get a job that has nothing to do with international business. I am against illegals being here pushing themselves ahead of the line when we have so many coming through the proper channels who are paying their dues and waiting their time.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

When someone comes to our country and wants to be a citizen, they are required to speak english. I have posted links on another page in this thread. I have never seen signs in the languages you mentioned, only english and spanish. That doesn't make me prejudice. I have mentioned enough times that people are people and it doesn't matter what color or culture they are.

I enjoy diversity. I am against one group changing things all across the USA. I resent that all other cultures are now required in many areas to speak a foreign langauge just to get a job that has nothing to do with international business. I am against illegals being here pushing themselves ahead of the line when we have so many coming through the proper channels who are paying their dues and waiting their time.

You do not enjoy diversity. You enjoy what FOXnews tells you diversity is.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23 >>

join