It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3-D Printed Gun Only Lasts 6 Shots

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope

I have never heard a gunshot in my town (population of about 500.000), ever.

Neither have I, and my city's population is 1.3 million. And guns are legal here.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

Originally posted by sylent6
reply to post by WP4YT

Tell that to the drug cartels and terrorist.

Believe me, time and money isn't an issue to criminal organizations.

Last time I checked criminals such as terrorists and drug cartels had connections to old military surplus guns and Eric Holder.
If you think for a second criminals are going to waste their time with 3D printing of guns, you give criminals way too much credit.

Didn't we hear that the FBI, DHS, and Obama himself were directly involved in fast-n-furious? Which begs the question: If the terrorists and criminals are running our government, doesn't it follow that they can get any weapon in existence?

Hmm ..... seems I recall a few *missing* nukes from the last administration.....

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I invested in DDD a while back. I suggest looking at it.

www.3dsystems.com...

Designs that are otherwise un-manufacturable, can now be made on a 3D printer. This is a big game changer in the next 10 years.
edit on 5-12-2012 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Hes one very brave (or stupid) guy to be firing that!!!

I know it said 6 shots in the title, but i would had thought any one of them could have blown the gun to bits and got bits of plastic in his face/eyes etc

extremely dangerous, i suppose with the advancements this has taken its still a worrying reality, one day.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Pretty stupid to build a weapon that chambers 5.7x28Fn - probably the fastest commercial caliber available.
Lucky it didn't blow up in their faces and cause serious injury.

I do find this technology amazing though.
I can see many great applications that will benefit mankind but as usual somebody will turn it to nefarious purposes.
Par for the course.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

There's a number of household weapons that people have used for ages on end. A think book or a rolled up magazine can cause some serious blunt force trauma and some use that for self defense.

Which criminal needs downloadable firearms when all you need is the intent to kill? I already KNOW people who use fire to kill someone else I know, and he's in jail today.

posted on Dec, 5 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Simply amazing.Not the stupid 3d printed plastic piece of a gun, but the number of people who do nothing but read a misleading title and proceed to freak out about the danger s and impending doom these printed guns will bring. Even though several posters pointed it out clear as day, the stupidity continues unabated. Deny Ignorance!? Damn, that's good for a laugh! The weapons forum is usually a little less full of crazy than the rest of the site, but they came out of the woodwork for this one!

I'm not goingto even bother trying to point out all the issue's here, it's already been done very adeptly by several others,so I guess carry on freaking out!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Honestly if anyone actually knew the history of 3d printed lowers they'd know that 5.56 lowers have already been tested successfully with way more than 6 rounds fired.

The reason it didn't last long firing 5.7x28 ammo is the fact that it's recoil operated not gas operated which puts much more stress on the buffer tube from the bolt slamming back into it.

And for those of you freaking out about this whole situation I've got some bad and good news for you.

1. bad news: People are already printing with nylon 6 which is what some polymer framed pistols are already made of.

2. good news: 3d printers won't result in a flood of cheap guns on the streets anymore than CNC lathes and milling machines did

3. Even Better News: 3d printing technology will propagate whether or not you freak out and ask your congressman to ban it!

4. Even Better News than that: Eventually 3d printers will be good enough to print a gun!

5. Even better news than that!: When that day arrives despots and control freaks will no longer be able to legislate away your inalienable right to defend yourself and your family!

6. Even better news than that!!: The nascent small arms control treaty designed to keep guns solely in the hands of the powers that be and their lackeys will at this point be nothing but an outmoded piece of paper and governments with ill intent will go back to having to fear the wrath of it's citizenry!

7. Even better news than that!!! Once governments once again properly FEAR their citizenry and can no longer keep people disarmed and compliant peace might actually have a chance of breaking out!

So see 3d printers are a very good thing if you like the idea of peace.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

I thought you could get powderless ammo and guns

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by fedeykin
Correct me if I'm wrong, but theoretically, if you can even print out tools like the crescent wrench that work, then you can also print out machetes or knives that can stab and cut and kill, and metal detectors can't detect them?

You mean like a piece of plexi glass or any other rigid plastic ground down?

Not to mention printing out all kinds of things that can be used to harm such as biological or chemical mist dispersal systems and whatever else you can think of.

Like a six pack of generic spray bottles from the dollar store?

Investing the time and resources into printing either would be a grossly inefficient undertaking.

Prison shanks and generic spray bottles arent what im talking about.

Neither of those pose any threat. Do you not see that dangerous things can be made out of pastics with moving parts, that aren't neccesarily easy to create, but through printing can be. If nothing comes to mind, use your imagination.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
TO our Australian/UK gun grabbers: Printers can only print PARTS of the guns, the parts that take the most stress during firing STILL need to be made out of STEEL, this includes the barrel.

Stop criticizing America for having free gun laws, you don't live here! and do me a favor and stay out!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I agree with a lot of you here... there is nothing to fear! Now when our 3D printers start spooling out high carbon steel, I'll worry. Till then the biggest threat would be making gun parts out of plastic, making a negative mold from those parts, and then casting metal parts. Still you're stuck with no barrell or frame capable of withstanding the force.

If I were a criminal and my choises were to purchase a $9000 printer and spend 3 years learning how to use it, or buy any old gun from a shady street vendor for 50 bux... ya... I don't have three years to waste, I want to rob that liquor store NOW!

Any technology that comes out can be used maliciously, it all depends on the user. Personally I cannot ruin your life with my Iphone, but there are people out there who can. And some them even would. So do we ban smart phones?

There will always be guns and if there are no guns, we will still have sticks and stones. (And a 3D printer would replicate those way better!) Humans have proven one thing over the eons we've existed.... we will try to kill eachother all the time, by any means neccessary.... Its just the way we are.

Robb

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Of course you do realize that there are 3D printers that can print high quality metal alloys. Moreover this is the manufacturing wave of the future.

3dprinting.com...

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join