It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea prepares new satellite launch attempt --= they say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Is it a cover story for a weapons test?

Has North Korea learned its lessons about launches?
Failure once again seems the likeliest option on technical and diplomatic fronts

www.msnbc.msn.com...

By James Oberg NBC News space analyst
Special to MSNBC
2012-12-02 T5:15 PM EST

HOUSTON — North Korea has two things to prove to the world when it tries once again to put a satellite into orbit, as announced over the weekend. First, engineers have to prove that they've solved the technical problems that led to an embarrassing launch failure in April. Second, officials have to prove that their intentions are as peaceful as they say they are.
As hard as the first challenge is, the second one may be harder.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

From the article......

From the moment the rocket had been launched — in secret, despite a repeated promise that we would be allowed to "observe" the liftoff — none of the North Koreans dealing with us ever mentioned it again. They didn't even acknowledge to us that it had failed.

I find this telling, and I see another failed launch.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I think we need to resist the urge to make rash judgements here.

I think that the upcoming elections in South Korea have more to do with this, than meets the eye. The current government does not have a particularly good relationship with the North. Relations between the two are always a political issue.

In addition, we have the US's gaze firmly switching to the Asia-Pacific region. The North Korean situation validates the need for the US Military to remain in South Korea. This is also an ongoing divisive election issue.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Cover for a weapons test on which side?

Japan confirms will be ready to shoot down North Korean rocket next week

I was fascinated to learn about your travels to NK - wow! I'm sure we'd all like to see pictures if they're available.

So, the satellite didn't fit your expectations in several ways, but I was unable mentally picture what you were trying to describe?

Maybe it's a milsat of some sort.

Q. If the launch is successful and the satellite deploys and accomplishes its mission, would that be a step toward North Korea becoming an equal partner in space?

A: It’s a sign they’ve put a lot of money on show-off projects because the actual services they expect to get from this [weather] satellite can be obtained tomorrow with a credit card. There are a number of providers who already supply the information this satellite is supposed to provide like taking orbital pictures, providing weather data, etc. For a country of approximately 24 million in the economic state it’s in now, it basically can’t afford a rocket of this size.

More on NK Launch

It seems unlikely this would be a 'show off project' considering what we are told about their economy.
edit on 3-12-2012 by explorer14 because: revising the revision haha

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by explorer14

Explorer, strangely enough, I have also visited North Korea.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by explorer14

I was fascinated to learn about your travels to NK - wow! I'm sure we'd all like to see pictures if they're available.

I put a lot of stuff on my home page, check my signature for the link.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Here's a perfect opportunity to live test our plane based laser.
Let her get about 20 miles downrange and hit the switch.
Ooops! another third stage malfunction. Must be those Chinese parts.

top topics

join