It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Atheism be technically considered a religion?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

according to science there is a good possibility that the universe was created for us. Its called the fine tuned universe. This confrontation is why we now have a multiverse.

It was either muliverse or god and science chose to believe in the multiverse because the idea of a created universe points to a creator and science can have no god greater than itself.
edit on 3-12-2012 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

Religion is a very loose word.

And a belief system is a religion.

Indeed that is very very loose.

So loose that anyone now is a religious person, as everyone has a belief system.

Belief in homeopathic medicine? Religion.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Religion is a very loose word.

And a belief system is a religion.

Indeed that is very very loose.

So loose that anyone now is a religious person, as everyone has a belief system.

Belief in homeopathic medicine? Religion.

Yes everyone has a personal belief system therefore a religion.

Homoepathic medicine is not (nessecarily) a belief system, but it could be.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
As an atheist, I am no more a part of a religion for not believing in a god than I am for not believing in the Easter Bunny. There is simply no evidence of either. You religious types crack me up. It's a simple matter of you people projecting your narrow view/understanding of humanity upon us. Misery needs company I guess.

IRM

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
As an atheist, I am no more a part of a religion for not believing in a god than I am for not believing in the Easter Bunny. There is simply no evidence of either. You religious types crack me up. It's a simple matter of you people projecting your narrow view/understanding of humanity upon us. Misery needs company I guess.

IRM

My goodness has nobody heard of the fine-tuned universe or has science totally covered it up in the hope that people will just accept the multiverse. You religious types crack me up . Its a simple matter of you people projecting your narrow view/unferstanding of humanity upon us.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Another_Nut
Yes everyone has a personal belief system therefore a religion.

Homoepathic medicine is not (nessecarily) a belief system, but it could be.

You're using definitions that I am not using. I believe
that I am using the correct ones.

Wiki: A belief system is a set of mutually supportive beliefs

Wiki: Belief: the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true.

Someone that uses homeopathic medicine believes in its validity as medicine. That is a belief.

So if a belief system is equal to religion, then everyone is religious.

One would have to make it that loose in order to call Atheism a religion

edit on 3-12-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

short answer : yes everyone is religious

We all have our beliefs.

besides that the supreme court agrees that atheism a religion.

That's our belief.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I get so tired of this debate about religion vs science as if somehow they are
even anywhere close to the same thing, think of it this way, you get on your
computer which science brought you and browse the internet which science
brought you before you get ready to leave for work in your car which science
brought you, while on your drive you listen to the radio which science
brought you and drive on the roads which science brought you.

You go to work in a building which science brought you and turn on the
heat or ac that science brought you, drink your coffee which science
brought you and proceed to work using mathematics which is a science
as well..........

you see whether or not you believe in science, you use it every single day,
its practical application is obvious, so obvious in fact that most people
simply overlook it and write it off, however when you start to look for the
practical application of religion you find that not only is there no practical
need for it, you see that indeed anything practical that comes of it can
be found elsewhere without said religion being required, that is the
difference between having day to day evidence of practical things and
having a BELIEF that something is true despite having no evidence.

It just baffles my mind that anyone could even compare the two as similar,
one asks you to believe despite the lack of evidence and practical application,
the other tells you how things work in a practical way and is used every
single day by every single one of us to interact with the world around us.
why lie on the count of religion? WHY? i get that you want this stuff to be
true but why lie to make it as such? that only makes people upset that
we have to deal with obvious lies and denial of things that are not only
right in front of you but all around you every single day. Fabric, electronics,
mathematics, metals, etc. etc. etc. these are all things which prove science
works. religion has a book and baseless claims, yea sure that's exactly the
same thing.......

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Believing in deity can relate to a religion , a religion without one is .... Scientology ?

The religion part is the whole backstory or lore if you will justifying it and includes , worship,rules, traditions ,special days of celebration of it and the following there off, unifying groups that 'choose' (i use this term loosely) to believe the same things. How does anyone expect to apply that to atheist's ?

What unified rules and traditions and celebrations,worship or lore of atheism is there? none is the answer.
Atheism is a form of believe not a religion.

Just imagine how messy the tax reduction/exemptions would be if atheism was a religion

edit on 3-12-2012 by Rubic0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I prefer to just call myself non religious, I hate the idea of calling myself an atheist or agnostic. I believe it is possible there is a God, a possibility of perhaps 0.00000000001%, however I cannot say he does not exist because that is not better than religion in my opinion; I cannot say unicorns, fairies, vampires etc don't exist either.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

according to science there is a good possibility that the universe was created for us. Its called the fine tuned universe. This confrontation is why we now have a multiverse.

Imagine a few billion years ago a cave formed on earth and the entrance collapsed. Now imagine that some mold inside the cave became intelligent. This mold might measure the moisture content of the cave, along with the chemical makeup of the soil and air, and come to the conclusion that the cave was finely tuned for the mold's existence, and it would be untrue. This universe isn't finely tuned with the intent on growing life, but life grew because the conditions were right. That's all.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodreviara

sorry blood im going to say this again but

Science has proven that there are only 2 solutions to our FINE TUNED UNIVERSE either a creator or a multiverse.

The multiverse was created after scientist discoverd our universe was finetuned .the multiverse was created to hide the fact our universe IS SPECIAL.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Science has proven that there are only 2 solutions to our FINE TUNED UNIVERSE either a creator or a multiverse.

The multiverse was created after scientist discoverd our universe was finetuned .the multiverse was created to hide the fact our universe IS SPECIAL.

I have never seen actual proof of this. Having said that, i would like to though.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

If you can find one ancient society, with ethics, who weren't spiritual, and weren't in contact with a society who had spirituality, then you win.

Also, if you do not understand that only no concept can equals 0 belief, then I concede on that point and you win.

edit on 12/3/2012 by Bleeeeep because: grammar

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Actually your assuming it is a fine tuned universe and speculating the rest,
i see no reason to believe our universe is fine tuned at all, science does not
claim it to be so, its simply you stating what you believe without evidence to
support it, making an assumption based on scientific evidence which
does not support what you claim, not only that but even if it
were proven to be a fine tuned multiverse there is no indication an intelligent
being created it, that would require evidence of its own to prove, if you want
to use science actually use science, don't pick and choose which parts
you like and throw out the rest.

Claiming because you see this it must mean what you think it means,
is not science, testing that and retesting that and eventually coming to
observations that 99 times out of 100 this means that is science, so far as
i know there is no test for a creator or even evidence that is testable for the
claims of a creator.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

reply to post by jiggerj

Imagine a few billion years ago a cave formed on earth and the entrance collapsed. Now imagine that some mold inside the cave became intelligent. This mold might measure the moisture content of the cave, along with the chemical makeup of the soil and air, and come to the conclusion that the cave was finely tuned for the mold's existence, and it would be untrue. This universe isn't finely tuned with the intent on growing life, but life grew because the conditions were right. That's all.

Let me get this straight. lets take your "because conditions were right" isn't that finetuned?

Now lets reread your last sentence with those words substituted

The universe isn't fine-tuned with the intent on growing life, but life grew because the conditions were fine tuned.

Sounds like u agree.

ETA ok guys time for bed I'll be back on this tomorrow . I suggest everyone read about the tuned universe. And ill see you all back here tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rubic0n

I have never seen actual proof of this. Having said that, i would like to though.

It's funny, considering even wikipedia lists more than 2 possible explanations. Anyway, I'm curios too. Another Nut, show us the proof (also correct the wikipedia article while at it).
edit on 3-12-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

IRM

My goodness has nobody heard of the fine-tuned universe or has science totally covered it up in the hope that people will just accept the multiverse.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

Could there be more than one universe? Yes... because we already have physical proof that one exists... unlike god. There may be universes that don't harbour life, and there may be universes that harbour forms of life that go way beyond our limited understanding. There may have been 'big bangs' before ours that annihilated themselves. In any case, our universe exists due to the non symmetry of matter/anti matter. Far from perfect or fine tuned, and more random if you ask me!

If you're going to suggest that a god made our universe, then there is the inescapable question of who created god.

IRM

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by scrounger

So while off topic of athiesm the OP first stated i think it shows that ANY SYSTEM can be considered a "religion" by the very basic definition of the word and not limited to belief in alah, god, old man in the clouds, the great spagetti monster, or something in that thread

Never-minding science for the moment.

Where do you draw the line then. It seems to follow based on what you just said that any belief system would be considered a religion. That would be a very loose definition.

You just stated the situation that exists that logically shows that not just "belief in a supreme being" is considered a religion.

The very definition of religion is EXACTLY THAT LOOSE AND BROAD APPLYING TO MANY THINGS EVEN TO ATHEISM.

The problem is when the definition counters (in the case of the OP origional question) the atheism issue that now you want to limit what it means

. The cold hard truth is that Atheism along with (but not limited to ) the evolutionist (big bang theory) is CLEARLY shown to fall into that definition that the ground work layed to limit "religion" now comes full circle to bite them in the butt.

Even the supreme court has ruled on it (thank you to the poster who put the case up here).

Now atheism possibly faces the same restrictions they have FORCED upon christianity (for one example) and they don't like it.

You cannot deny now truth just because it now will effect your point of view.

The real issue should have been that no matter what your view/belief/religion is unless it effects your ability to do something (the prayer physically stops you from going to a graduation) or forces you to do something (forces you to repeat or believe something) the fact YOU ARE OFFENDED does not mean someone has to stop something.

If you are an atheist and are offended (for example again) of a prayer at a graduation GET OVER IT OR GET OUT.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

Well, yes. Atheism is technically a religion according to a ruling on 2005. Whether people agree on it, it´s another question. One thing is for sure, they have their own church.

As a legally ordained minister, you will be able to perform weddings, funerals, commitment ceremonies, and other functions that are reserved for members of clergy.

First Church of atheism

So yes, Atheism is a religion.

Peace

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join