It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two party system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Hello Americans

Are you guys happy with the two party monopoly or do you want some more options?

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
need more options definetly. but it wont happen. nader cant even get on ballots!!!!

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Evil Communism = 1 party
Not evil American Democracy = 2 parties

The difference is only one party which may even be worse. You can never get anything meaningful done because the two parties are always competing against eachother.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The trouble is we dont really have a two party system, there are 4 big parties and more smaller ones. What we have is more like an "only two parties are allowed in the debates and on TV system" In almost EVERY state there are 4 or more parties on the ballot. I am a Libertarian and we are on 48 or 49 states ballots. When I voted here I think there were 5 parties for president on our ballot.

Until the system is opened up for the other parties we will continue to have a system that only represents 20-30% of the country.

[edit on 22-10-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
The trouble is we dont really have a two party system, there are 4 big parties and more smaller ones. What we have is more like an "only two parties are allowed in the debates and on TV system" In almost EVERY state there are 4 or more parties on the ballot. I am a Libertarian and we are on 48 or 49 states ballots. When I voted here I think there were 5 parties for president on our ballot.

Until the system is opened up for the other parties we will continue to have a system that only represents 20-30% of the country.

[edit on 22-10-2004 by Amuk]

Yes, thats right it is not on paper a two party system but in reallity it is.
20 - 30% representation is not really a democracy (In modern western standards anyway).

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   
deleted

[edit on 23-10-2004 by Kollapse]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I think that in order to have a healthier democracy it's important to have more than two major parties. With a two party system, a voter will mostly end up voting for the party that most closely follows his or her ethics, even if they don't know a party's manifesto, or even if they don't agree with most of it (either that or they won't vote at all)

top topics

join