It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beautiful images of Saturn.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

That's awesome. I wish it's something rooted in the conspiracy genre, but it's most likely a natural formation. Absolutely beautiful though. Thanks!

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus

Originally posted by wildespace

Why are so few of the Cassini pictures in color?

Creating color images is a complex task requiring much more labor and computer time than black and white images.

Errrrrr .... why ? Since when does taking a colour pic become such a complex task ?
My smartphone takes brilliant, hi res pics with no effort at all.

Are you trying to tell me that the equivalent of a cheap smartphone colour capable cmos chip is impossible to mount on the craft and if it was, that it would be incapable of taking a real-time colour pic and then beam it back to Earth ?

C'mon ... really ???
Really ???

They didn't have "cheap smartphone color" in the late 80', early 90's when the Cassini code was put together. It launched in 97. Took 7 years to get there (couple of swings around the neighborhood). Remember, deep space missions are handicapped with technology of the launch. By the time the orbiter gets there, the technology is somewhat outdated. Too bad.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Ok, the reason pics are not taken in color.

1. Black and white holds better definition for the process.
2. Power for transmission is limited, very limited and so black and white is logical
3. Sensors checking other wavelengths can reveal way more material than the human visible spectrum.
4. These are RAW images. You then put them into the computer and have the computer measure the tones and supply the matching colors. You don't waste important data onboard a ship when it can be done on Earth.

I hope that helps people understand

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

I don't doubt that, snow flakes have them. But something twice the size of Earth? Takes it to a whole another level. Though snowflakes are super super small, so it could be possible but its just one of those, "really wish I could see it" things.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Maybe it's a cross-section of an icosahedron and not a hexagon at all...
Sacred geometry can teach us some cool stuff - maybe?

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The hexagon is a natural phenomenon. It was replicated in an Oxford lab a few years ago:

phys.org...

edit on 29-11-2012 by ClemsonME2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I'm eagerly waiting for some close-up pics of Uranus next!

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Amazing Images, Cassini just keeps on giving. S+F

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by winterkill
Ok, the reason pics are not taken in color.

1. Black and white holds better definition for the process.
2. Power for transmission is limited, very limited and so black and white is logical
3. Sensors checking other wavelengths can reveal way more material than the human visible spectrum.
4. These are RAW images. You then put them into the computer and have the computer measure the tones and supply the matching colors. You don't waste important data onboard a ship when it can be done on Earth.

I hope that helps people understand

Smartphones arent that big or heavy, last i checked doesnt take them much to charge and it last days with a small lithium battery.

And what happens if you dont have a computer eh wise guy?
edit on 30-11-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

I was in a different thread and said the same thing. These photos we see from these probes and other telescopes are NOT original and they do not shoot in color. They are painted here on earth.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Absolutely gorgeous!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join