It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Giants Of Ancient America: “8′ Tall With Double Rows Of Teeth”

page: 18
<< 15  16  17   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
The story you are referring to was in the Southwest right? But what about these mounds and giant claims more than 1000 miles away on the eastern half of the US?

You mean like the Hopewell giants?

Now we're starting to get into some more serious blunders. This next one was an error of omission. When I talked about strange skulls and other bizarre human skeletal remains, I made many mentions of 7-foot-tall skeletons and creatures with double rows of teeth having been discovered in the United States in the late 19th century. It was almost a fad: Just about every time a railroad crew cut into a hillside, they'd turn up some such oddity. The best I could do was to ascribe this to the PT Barnum mentality that was sweeping the nation at the time. It seemed everyone and his brother were trying to make a buck exhibiting some strange oddity, but every time a scientist or museum wanted to take a look, suddenly the specimen was lost or stolen or otherwise absent. In short, the best explanation I could find for 7-foot-tall skeletons and double-toothed skulls was a lot of tall tales.

But then I heard from archaeologists, and learned that many of these finds were real, just really hard to find pictures or documentation of, especially when you don't know what to search for. For about 700 years the eastern United States was dominated by various cultures from the Hopewell Tradition, and these included the mound builders and other societies. There were cultural practices that can account for all the strange skeletal remains I described. They liked to mutilate the bodies of their slain enemies. One method was the disarticulation of the limbs of a corpse, so that its bones could be hung up as a sort of wind chime. Once finally laid in the ground, the separated bones gave the appearance that this person must have been seven or more feet tall.

Jawbones often received similar treatment. Holes were bored into them to accommodate leather thongs, and to non-expert railroad crews, such jaws appeared to have sockets available for a second row of teeth.
Like we often find on Skeptoid, the true explanation is almost always far more interesting than any you can come up with when you stop your investigation prematurely, as I did when I did my original episode. The PT Barnum explanation was pretty humdrum and dismissive. The real reason the bodies appeared to be 7 feet tall, and that the skulls appeared to have a second row of teeth, gives a much more engaging view into history.

Source

Harte

That is a good explanation for the Hopewell giants.

Harte, what do you make of the original story I was referring to by the the Paiut? tribe? We don't have evidence, but they claim they wiped out a race of giants didn't they?

And what about the stories from South America by both explorers and natives?

I am not saying it is all true, but it seems like there is a variety of traditions about giants.

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: wanderingconfusion

Why would someone in a small town call the Smithsonian?

I presume to let them know they had uncovered a giant skeleton while digging a pool. It is a rather well-known museum and they probably figured it a museum-worthy find. Just a guess.
edit on 7-12-2014 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede
Ok. I guess.
I would think contacting a local University might be more practical as a first step. Of course, if the swimming pool was in D.C., that would be different.

edit on 12/7/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Halfswede

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: wanderingconfusion

Why would someone in a small town call the Smithsonian?

I presume to let them know they had uncovered a giant skeleton while digging a pool. It is a rather well-known museum and they probably figured it a museum-worthy find. Just a guess.

That story sounds like the standard tale to support the "the Smithsonian is suppressing giants conspiracy".

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hanslune
That story sounds like the standard tale to support the "the Smithsonian is suppressing giants conspiracy".

I believe the bastards are up to it.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: CoriSCapnSkip

originally posted by: Hanslune

I believe the bastards are up to it.

We've discussed that at some length here before - what possible motive would they have to do so and more importantly where and how could they have done so? Especially in the pre-electronic era? (slow communications).

Also why were the giants seemingly confined to the borders of the USA?

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Harte, what do you make of the original story I was referring to by the the Paiut? tribe? We don't have evidence, but they claim they wiped out a race of giants didn't they?

I don't generally consider mythology to be an indicator of any reality.

Basically, these tales have been debunked.

It wasn't long after the explorer's tale that the land was colonized and guess what, no giants.

Harte

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I am not saying it is all true, but it seems like there is a variety of traditions about giants.
How much of the mythology could be based upon this kind of exchange:

Chief: You really got your butts handed to you this time.
Warrior: Man, you should have seen them! Giants! Not our fault!
Chief: ok...eat this peyote and make up a song about it.
Warrior: Sure thing, Boss.

What the heck...it has as much truthiness as anything else brought forward.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

In combat, especially hard combat the enemy is always given mythic superhuman qualities. You can see this in modern wars too.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
What a fantastic thread SnF!

I took a greater interest in this topic after the birth of my daughter who surprisingly had red hair,as Myself and my partner do not (i now know it is recessive)

I am of Irish decendency, so clearly there your answer lol.Anyway,i have always looked into alternative history, all the kind of things that get brought up on this site.I stumbled upon the Tuatha De Danaan whilst doing so and after a lot of researching a greater picture emerged.

I think the relation to the 'giants of America' is one and the same maybe? as they all seemed to be so called refugees after the fall of Atlantis and deluge;also to note are the red heads encountered in the jungles of South America in the relatively recent past.

This map/image really illustrates how this migration unfolded and was passed onto the 'normal humans' and spread out from there,at least that's my take on it,another thing is it really gives credence to Atlantis,as you can see the spread from the West which is where Atlantis resided,along with its' red headed citizens.

Another brain teaser is the isolated population of red heads in the east as you can see,this may well be able to be backed up by so called myths or indeed known history,as the black sea area (thereabouts) is also significant in the greater picture when you look at alternative history.

All these revelations certainly seem to be gaining momentum and all the pieces just have to be put together,even though attempts have been made to muddy the waters.

Here is another link i come by, again very compelling info on our past and the probable origins of the red hair.

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

So from what i can gather,after the flood the Annunaki/Atlanteans etc branched out to new habitable lands across the globe (they have certainly left a trail) so after establishing Sumeria,then on to Egypt and so on..crazy stuff?

Great thread i must read some more now!

EDIT-the RHnegative blood link is no doubt a big piece of this puzzle?..The Basques of Spain have a very high percentage of this i believe? and their language is un-explainable?..that's until you take this route of study then it seems to make a lot more sense.
edit on 8-12-2014 by EndOfDays77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

I don't generally consider mythology to be an indicator of any reality.

Basically, these tales have been debunked.

It wasn't long after the explorer's tale that the land was colonized and guess what, no giants.

Harte

Fair points all. I think we should have more hard evidence of races (not anomalies) of giants if they really existed. However, I still can't get around the reality that so many cultures, from the Middle East to Latin America, had stories of giants. I know we can find all kinds of ways to rationalize it away, but maybe there is some kernel of truth somewhere in there? It's not impossible for a bigger variety of humans (or non-humans) to have existed. The issue is more the evidence, which I have no doubt that many of you know a lot more than I about. Honest questions.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

No doubt that has happened. But do you really think that is the prime explanatory variable for a variety of traditions across multiple cultures?

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

No doubt that has happened. But do you really think that is the prime explanatory variable for a variety of traditions across multiple cultures?
No...but like I said, "What the heck...it has as much truthiness as anything else brought forward."

I have previously presented (ad nausium) the reasons why these stories emerged. Google some of the personalities involved...it's all pretty transparent.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Hi,
New to the thread. Any other links to the video in the OP? It says it is a "private video" when I click on it.
thanks!

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Just a heads up for tonight-the last show of search for the lost Giants is on. It's on the history channel. Great thread. Lots of info to check out so far. S&f

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

However, I still can't get around the reality that so many cultures, from the Middle East to Latin America, had stories of giants. I know we can find all kinds of ways to rationalize it away, but maybe there is some kernel of truth somewhere in there?

Absolutely. The average height for humans was much smaller than today. Tall people, however, did exist and it is certainly possible that some groups were significantly taller than others due to an isolated gene pool.

We see this sort of thing among certain African tribes. link

Harte

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: lonewolf19792000

But...I did it for good stuff,I'M an American,
HUMAN collaberator,if I'M BREED.
THEN again,there was the secret adoption thing...Dad was Airforce,,,

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

Wanna tell THAT to the car makers?