It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fuel for nuke power could run out by 2016-2018

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I used to assume that nuclear power could provide energy to every country for thousands of years but this is just not true, if 70% of the worlds energy were to come from nuke power it would be depleted by the date stated. The reason being that there is only an estimated 6.4 million tons of uranium left on the earth, i am very in favour of nuke power but if this is true then its not much better than oil! We really need to get new power sources fast or we are going back to the stone age, where the hell is fusion when we need it?

www.google.co.uk...:3j8Mw0LTskgJ:www.nirs.org/factsheets/nuclearpowercantstopclimatechange.pdf+can+nuclear+power+provide+energy+for +1000+years&hl=en

[edit on 22-10-2004 by ufo3]

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Interesting, but not very accurate.

Here is another link.

Now to discuss the fact that isn't expanded upon in that article.

Seawater contains 3.3x10^(-9) (3.3 parts per billion) of uranium, so the 1.4x10^18 tonne of seawater contains 4.6x10^9 tonne of uranium.

Now that it enough to last for a very long time.

Information on the demostration stage of the technology to extract uranium from sea water.

You may breathe easy once more.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The world is far from getting 70% of its electricity from nuclear power. Currently I believe around 15% of the world's electricity production comes from 438 nuclear plants. There are alot of factors to think about when making predictions on raw material reserves. The amount of uranium being mined at the moment is not so great since the US is fueling half of its plants with old US and Soviet weapons materials. Alot of mining operations have been shutdown in the past decade because the price of uranium is too low to make a profit. Plus I dont think anyone has really searched for new uranium desposits since the 1950s. Besides uranium breeding cycles with Th, Pu, or the use of MOX fuels is a possible way to extend the current energy reserves.

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
As stated above, this is interesting but just not true.

It does make you think though. With the gasoline supply nearly depleted, what will those still clinging to environmental apathy do? Will we find better energy sources for transportation than hybrid or gasoline? Cold fusion maybe?

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I think fusion will be the real way forward, if not that then zero point energy either would totally end the energy crisis that will eventually come.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
~~

yeah, what CriticalMass said,

only 6.4 million tons est...Well, that U has been in the earth for a minimum of 3 billion years...and its still radioactive

the weapons grade U & P, is not naturally occuring,,it must be 'manufactured' or 'enhanced'

therefore, if U fuel is the only resource available...i'm sure that future technology will enhance the fuels supply to have greater longevity & usefull lifetime.

dont worry...become a part of the SOLUTION !

^^

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I wouldnt of thought nuclear power will ever be a widely used source for power due to all the scaremongering thats been going on for so long, but the government only has themselves to blame for that one, maybe fusion but i dont see anthing happening for a long time with that one, i suspect in the next 10 years as demand REALLY outstrips supply of oil, with prices becoming unsustainable then surprise surprise they'll miraculously whip out a new way of generating energy as if by magic, basturds been holding back this technology for ages now, go figure where they got it from. I have no proof of this of course but all the evidence iv read has pointed to this.

new topics

top topics

join