It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Body Genetic Engineering (Super-Soldier/Super-Human)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
The Brief Update Info

I’d like to open up a discussion talking about manipulating the mind & body using genetic engineering & cybernetic implants (FACT VS FICTION). This may sound a bit far fetch as there are many fiction stories regarding this type of subject, although fiction can reveal truth that reality obscures.

What does the encyclopaedia tell us about Supersoldiers?

Supersoldier is a term often used to describe a soldier that operates beyond normal human limits or abilities. Supersoldiers are usually heavily augmented, either through eugenics (especially selective breeding), genetic engineering, cybernetic implants, drugs, brainwashing, traumatic events, an extreme training regimen (usually with high casualty rates, and often starting from birth or a young age), or other scientific and pseudoscientific means. Occasionally, some instances also use paranormal methods, such as black magic, and/or technology and science of extraterrestrial origin. The creators of such programs are viewed often as mad scientists or stern military men, depending on the emphasis, as their programs will typically go past ethical boundaries in the pursuit of science and/or military might.

In the Past

Has any anyone/organization tried to create a program dedicated towards creating SuperSoldiers?
Yes.
From what history has told us with regarding groups/organizations creating a super soldier program the first well known groups that had interest in this were the Nazi’s. In 1935 they set up the spring life, as a sort of breeding /child-rearing program. The objective of the “spring life” was to create an everlasting Aryan race that would serve its purpose as the new super-soldiers of the future.
Fact –The average Nazi soldier received a regular intake of pills designed to help them fight longer and without rest although these days it is now common for troops battling in war that take pills.

Modern day
What Super soldier Projects are in progress in this time & day?
DARPA (the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) is currently working on projects from what today’s news tells us.

What does the encyclopaedia tell us about DARPA?

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is an agency of the United States Department of Defense responsible for the development of new technologies for use by the military. DARPA has been responsible for funding the development of many technologies which have had a major effect on the world, including computer networking, as well as NLS, which was both the first hypertext system, and an important precursor to the contemporary ubiquitous graphical user interface.

A daily mail article around 13, 2012 talked about DARPA currently working on a Super-Solider program as of this moment, it is surprising that DARPA is becoming more open towards the public perhaps to become more acceptable within the public.
Article explains:

Tomorrow's soldiers could be able to run at Olympic speeds and will be able to go for days without food or sleep, if new research into gene manipulation is successful. According to the U.S. Army's plans for the future, their soldiers will be able to carry huge weights, live off their fat stores for extended periods and even regrow limbs blown apart by bombs. The plans were revealed by novelist Simon Conway, who was granted behind-the-scenes access to the Pentagon's high-tech Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency.

What do you ATS Members think it would be like in the future?

==========================================================
source 1
source 2
source 3

Please S&F thank you.

edit on 25-11-2012 by FeelingPure because: missing words

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I think that the only difference between a soldier,and a super soldier, would be the level to which the soldier is supported by his equipment.

These days soldiers are better trained than they are equipped. No matter what the military might say, or what the government which controls them might be willing to admit, there are technologies in terms of armour, and arms, which are available, but are not being used.

We could have soldiers which can carry three hundred pounds of weight while running full tilt, be bullet proof up to 7.62 , or take a twelve gauge shot to the gut and laugh about it, be shot in the head with a nine mm pistol and contemptuously ignore it while dealing with more serious matters. We could have those same soldiers capable of fast dropping from the back of a plane, with jet packs and wings on, and performing fast dives and low opening landings, without overt risk to themselves.

All it would take is for the technology that man possesses to be correctly assembled together. It wont be, because the military would rather spend the money trying to drug the men into fooling thier bodies that they can go longer, faster, without being over concerned for the synaptic interface failiures that come with prolonged over work.

I hate that.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
it's the super man project or the human instrumentality project or eugenics, no matter the guise, the goal is the uber man and there is no denying it. If only more people read. Maybe we are evolving or evoking or something something god. or at least the man who is not only in god's image but his acts as well. I was never comfortable with these programs they are not in the interest of anyone, even those who believe them a gateway to higher states. There is nothing new under the sun and so no doubt some thing at some stage has made themselves a prisoner of their own hubris. At least Midas has some people to kick back with.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Years ago, I remember reading books by Dean Koontz about this. They would involved old abandoned military
bases having underground facilities to enhance animal intelligence and human strength and savagery.

Later I remember reading about base realignments where there are now indeed bases being sort of "off the radar".
Then I read articles about using dogs, monkeys and dolphins in experiments to use as "spies".
By using human genetic research.

Then I read stories all over the place about wolves that appear almost half human and walk and run upright.
Killer dolphins that rape humans. And so on.

It would come as no surprise to me to know that animal genes are being injected into humans in the quest of
a super soldier to have animal instincts rather than human. Or that conversely certain animals have been injected with human genes to enhance their use by the militaries around the world.

But then there are all kinds of books detailing future technologies that have come to pass in a more than precient kind of way.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Its inevitable at some point. The technology to modify ourselves and uplift other species will happen at some point as we get better at reading our biological recipe. Given our nature when we can modify ourselves and others we will.

In 500 years the definition of what constitutes 'Human' may be considerably expanded.

Prohibition wont work. What will be needed is cool heads and regulation.

As to the specific military side its always cost/effect analysis as the driver. Although the research is being pushed by DARPA and others I actually think augmentation will arise in the consumer market first and bleed through into the military for this reason.

Extreme high wealth individuals (our new global aristocracy) will likely adopt this first for competitive advantage of themselves and offspring. Then it will be government functionaries and special forces. The average grunt will get it about the same time as the man in the street, bringing up the rear.

I can see free augmentation used in the future as a recruiting tool to get poor 'normals' to sign up to go and fight.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I think the first developments we will see will be technological additions such as exoskeleteons, integration of sensors linked to helmet panels where the soldier can detect heat, movement, sound, etc and have it show up on tiny screens.
It would take a dedicated program of soldiers raised from birth to apply genetic modifications as no volunteer is going to willingly undergo such radical changes. Are they doing something that evil in a base underground? I'd be willing to bet money that they are.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The truth is darker.

German supersoldier program doctors imported to USA under Paperclip

MK ULTRA used to split mind make "perfect" soldier.

Taken even blacker, mixed with psychic research far beyond remote viewing. Hint start with McMoneagle.

McMoneagle and Swann both talk about it. Targ does to in his biography in between the lines.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I think it's that and worse.
I believe they take soldiers into programs and unbeknownst to them start injecting them with all sorts of
genes in a Dr. Moreau type quest to see how far they can take these new creatures and still have them
under control.
I think there are probably all manner of experiments that have gotton loose from the labs.
Every time I read of these suspicious animal/human sightings, I look up to see how close that sighting
was from a base or military lab. Always within about 20 miles.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I think the first developments we will see will be technological additions such as exoskeleteons, integration of sensors linked to helmet panels where the soldier can detect heat, movement, sound, etc and have it show up on tiny screens.

Yes, I think you are right. But thats baby steps. Where it will go eventually is network connectivity implanted straight into the brain. This will allow the accessing of networked information and/or the streaming your own thoughts and sensory input to the web.

Can you imagine a world where you back up your entire sensory record of days, months or years? What if valuable memories become tradable commodities?

I doubt i'll see any of that but one day somebody will.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Human genetic engineering will happen. It has happened, and is happening. The fields of genetics and biotech are growing trememndously fast even though they are still in their early childhood they are making tremendous leaps every month or so in terms of what is possible.

Recently they figured out that stem cells can be programmed into specific funtions in fully grows humans. Before it was thought that you could only genetically alter embryos.

The demand for genetic and other forms of augmentations is and will be huge when peole are suddenly given the chance to improve themselves...it happens all the time. Its an evolutionary process driven by our intelligence. Yet its not always perfect but then again its not as bad as knee jerk reactionists tend to describe it when they hear the phrase "genetic engineering". We arent breaking any sacred laws or rules of the universe or offending some god.

Unless of course youre into that sort of thing.

In other words, it will happen and it wont be restricted to the "elite few" as alarmists like to describe the scenario from fantasy fiction stories and movies. If theres a demand, it will always be met. And if its peoples desires to improve their condition and capabilities then they will get it, period and NO ONE has the right to tell anyone else what they can and cant do with their own bodies be it drugs, genetic engineering or implants.

We are on the verge of having the capability to transcend our limitations and be something more and just like a child who experiences growing pains, its just something we have to do our best to deal with...embrace it and learn what all this stuff REALLY entails before emotionally reacting to something which you don't even fundamentally understand.

Science has great promise...much more than any god can give you.

Edit: please ignore my pathetic spelling...its a little early here

edit on 25-11-2012 by JuggernaughtMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Yes, I think you are right. But thats baby steps. Where it will go eventually is network connectivity implanted straight into the brain. This will allow the accessing of networked information and/or the streaming your own thoughts and sensory input to the web.

Can you imagine a world where you back up your entire sensory record of days, months or years? What if valuable memories become tradable commodities?

I doubt i'll see any of that but one day somebody will.

Nano machines will be the way the human brain is modified into a cyber brain. Replacing tissue with sythetic atom by atom or increasing the neuron count in the brain with artificial ones to augment the normal ones. Ghost in the shell is not as far off as people would like to think.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JuggernaughtMan

Your spelling, I could ignore. The sentiment in the last line of your summation I could not.
If you understood the history of the Biblical record, then you would know that the whole struggle
of Satan against GOD and man is deeply rooted in genetics.

The verses about Man's seed being at enmity with Satan's seed is at the very beginning of our Genesis.
You would need to understand that the goal of Satan is to pervert and pollute GOD's original creation and
to make it in his own image. In a literal way. By introducing a mix of animal hybrids and human hybrids
into the population.

This is just man doing Satan's will, if you think about it and carrying on his plan.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
It would be interesting to see what level modern science has gotten to behind closed doors.
IMHO though the only true super soldier is someone who is fighting for something personal, something they believe in. This kind of soldier or group of soldiers would outmatch any battlefield tech.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I believe it is a matter of time only. Already we test fertilised eggs and choose the healthy ones. This kind of genetic selection will explode when cheap whole genome sequencing will become available.

From this, there will not be a long way towards actively repairing damaged genes, because a selection alone will not get you very far. It is probable that children of our children will be free of all known genetic defects and conditions.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
What makes you think they haven't already tried that?

At least, I guess it depends on what you'd call a "super soldier". At the time, bulletproof-ness would have been a bit goofy.

But a lot of things might make you a better soldier.

Just be a little faster. A little more clear-headed. Control over your adrenaline response. Being able to do the "no mind" thing on command in a firefight. A little stronger in bursts. A bit more endurance. Able to reframe contexts of what you're doing on the fly - for instance, why SHOULD it be harder to walk a 2x4 between two buildings if you can do the same thing on the ground? Clearer memory. A knack for making the correct decision given limited information.

A lot of effort went into just those things. Yeah, there were a few other things that were a bit...goofier, but those were reasonable, IMHO.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter
reply to post by JuggernaughtMan

Your spelling, I could ignore. The sentiment in the last line of your summation I could not.
If you understood the history of the Biblical record, then you would know that the whole struggle
of Satan against GOD and man is deeply rooted in genetics.

The verses about Man's seed being at enmity with Satan's seed is at the very beginning of our Genesis.
You would need to understand that the goal of Satan is to pervert and pollute GOD's original creation and
to make it in his own image. In a literal way. By introducing a mix of animal hybrids and human hybrids
into the population.

This is just man doing Satan's will, if you think about it and carrying on his plan.

Hybrids are not the way to go. Reinforcing natural gifts could be ok as long as you do not change the DNA. Now making a cyborg shell and dropping a brain into it could be considered a prosthetic to carry your brain inside thereby skirting changing the body genetically.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by yuppa
Hybrids are not the way to go.

Oh, I disagree there.

What if you could produce a bear-human chimera? I used to know this guy that could wax rhapsodic about the possibilities of ape-human or bear-human chimerae. He took "Bear Cavalry" concept a bit too literally.

But really, if you had a grizzly-human soldier, you could wreak friggin' havoc.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Not quite genetic engineering
But one thing that is going on that has become quite widespread among special forces operators and pilots
www.independent.ie...
( sorry this was the only relevant link I could find without spending too much time searching )

Have something similar myself
To explain it the way it was to me but very briefly
The eye works through a series of cones and rods
Rods are predominatly for vision in the light where as the cones are for low light use
The cone essentially having a larger surface area allowing more light in
The centre of the eye is the rods while around them are the cones hence why at night if you look directly at something it becomes difficult to see but if you look just off the object you want to look at the image becomes clearer.

Try it, turn the lights out and look directly at your baby finger, its hard to see, now look at your thumb and you will notice your baby finger ( in your off centre vision ) is a lot clearer
So what they do through laser surgery is essentially turn more rods into cones thus allowing more light into the eye
Works great in low light but on a sunny day I have to squint or close an eye from time to time to rest it
I know a few guys that suffer from bad headaches on a sunny day because of this, but a small price to pay

If things like this are in use and openly admited
What else is going on that's more hush hush

And please excuse my rough explanation as usual this is being tapped out on a touch screen device in somewhat unusual to most circumstances

edit on 25-11-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

(grin) We meet again. There's also a drug that will improve your low-light vision by changing the chemical your eyes use for pigment.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Ah yes, but that involves carrying more kit, stress on the CSS chain, not really suitable for prolonged deployed op's, gotta remember to take em ( 4 hour absorption time if memory serves ) and really I'm trying to limit the chemicals I submit my body to in the past few years ( had some crazy things going on in my tummy
)
So instead let's let some white coat dude blast me with a laser

But really driving at night ........if someone oncoming doesn't dip their lights
......it buggers me up

Edit
Or am I thinking of something completely different ? lol
And I can't for the life of me remember where we've chatted before .....which is strange for me .....even after looking through your previous posts lol
Did we agree or agree to disagree

edit on 25-11-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added

top topics

<<   2 >>

join