It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp Recipients Outnumber Populations of 24 States Combined

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MisterMarbles
when you could have said the number of food stamp recipients is roughly equivalent to the population of 2 states (CA and OH), but 24 states sounds way worse and more melodramatic.

I quoted the title of the article. It's not my title.
But ... the title is still correct. 24 states is accurate.
Kinda looks like you want to downplay the numbers.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustfund
reply to post by sonnny1

Why do you keep quoting that article who couldn't even quote their source right?

That’s partly because most household heads who were receiving food stamps were also out of work.

This isn't true, straight from their source 40% are on SS are retired or disabled, 40% of households had jobs, 20% had no income.

www.fns.usda.gov...

Many SNAP participants had jobs. Nearly 30
percent of SNAP households had earnings in 2010,
and 41 percent of all SNAP participants lived in a
household with earnings. For most of these
households, earnings were the primary source of
income.

SNAP households had little income. Only 15
percent had income above the poverty line, while
more than 43 percent had incomes at, or below,
half the poverty line. Nearly 20 percent had no
cash income of any kind.

The majority of SNAP households did not
receive cash welfare benefits. Only 8 percent of
all SNAP households received Temporary
Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits
and another 4 percent received State General
Assistance (GA) benefits. Over 21 percent of
SNAP households received Social Security and
nearly 21 percent received Supplemental Security
Income (SSI) benefits given to the aged and
disabled.

The majority of people (82%) on foodstamps are the working poor, SS retired, and SSI disabled.
edit on 24-11-2012 by Trustfund because: (no reason given)

That leaves about 8 million on food stamps that are not working, retired or disabled.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Maybe we can make them wear an "I'm on foodstamps" badge so you can verify government data with your anecdotal experience.

Im trying to wrap my head around this. Im not sure its true that 15% of the U.S. are having difficulty eating. But if is true, its a terrible sign of the countries decline that should have been addressed long ago. It should have been addressed when it hit the 5% mark.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustfund

I re-read the article, and it seems they are mistaken.

Pride and pity goes out the window, if you are in need. I'm not saying we shouldn't help. I am saying fix the program. When you can by cigs and strippers on assistance, we have a problem. NONE of those things warrant help, from America.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I quoted the title of the article. It's not my title.
But ... the title is still correct. 24 states is accurate.
Kinda looks like you want to downplay the numbers.

The number of states is an irrelevant form of measure which you have cited repeatedly in this thread.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
you have 47 million people barely making it at a time when corporations profits have never been higher.

thanks to everyone who sits on their millions of dollars...

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Maybe we can make them wear an "I'm on foodstamps" badge so you can verify government data with your anecdotal experience.

Im trying to wrap my head around this. Im not sure its true that 15% of the U.S. are having difficulty eating. But if is true, its a terrible sign of the countries decline that should have been addressed long ago. It should have been addressed when it hit the 5% mark.

You're right. Ronald Regan and George Bush should have done something about this when it was 5%, but they didn't.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibajaba
i am so tired of legislative thievery - stealing from me and mine to pay for you and your lazy @ss.
-maybe- just maybe -
we should all quit working - this would stop the monster in the east.

keep calling people on food stamps lazy.....
Fact is the majority of people on food stamps work full time, but they work minimum wage jobs that don't allow them to feed their families.

Food stamps are a solution by the government to a problem being caused by the private sector....instead of complaining about the food stamps, let's complain about the reason people need food stamps...it's not because they are lazy and aren't working. It's the fact that multi-billion dollar companies won't pay their workers enough to feed their families, heck even the multi-million dollar companies do it.
Food stamps are a problem....but they aren't the problem itself.

But no....let's keep spouting off Fox News talking points that aren't based off of facts....People on Food stamps are lazy and the government is evil for helping people feed their families!!!!

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by Trustfund

I re-read the article, and it seems they are mistaken.

Pride and pity goes out the window, if you are in need. I'm not saying we shouldn't help. I am saying fix the program. When you can by cigs and strippers on assistance, we have a problem. NONE of those things warrant help, from America.

You can't keep the unwashed masses happy unless you allow them some "perks".

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Yes its all obamas fault. It was him who smashed unions exported jobs kept minimum wage low. Its his fault people are accepting jobs they cant feed their families with. Even airline pilots were on footstamps.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by FlyersFan

Perhaps you would find Canada to be less unsavory? I have a hard time understanding what you're still doing here if you find American policy to be so distasteful.

Not everyone can just pick up and go to another country. It's not as easy as it sounds, financially, etc. I have family that would be very difficult to leave behind. I can live in this country and still fight against it's injustices to our people.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by jibajaba
i am so tired of legislative thievery - stealing from me and mine to pay for you and your lazy @ss.
-maybe- just maybe -
we should all quit working - this would stop the monster in the east.

keep calling people on food stamps lazy.....
Fact is the majority of people on food stamps work full time, but they work minimum wage jobs that don't allow them to feed their families.

Food stamps are a solution by the government to a problem being caused by the private sector....instead of complaining about the food stamps, let's complain about the reason people need food stamps...it's not because they are lazy and aren't working. It's the fact that multi-billion dollar companies won't pay their workers enough to feed their families, heck even the multi-million dollar companies do it.
Food stamps are a problem....but they aren't the problem itself.

But no....let's keep spouting off Fox News talking points that aren't based off of facts....People on Food stamps are lazy and the government is evil for helping people feed their families!!!!

Everyone that I know personally that is on food stamps is working. Their jobs are keeping them at part time hours for the past 8 months or so. The only solution is to get a second job, then never be home with your children. For most people, their back is against the wall right now.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Let me set up a scary picture. Imagine you were the TPTB and you needed to have people disarmed to allow for even further control. How could you do that in a nation with so many people that love guns?

Imagine a crisis happens and people can not get or afford food anymore. Only problem is they need to make it safe for people to get the food and services so they make no guns zones across the country. People accept this because they need to feed themselves and or the family. Now the country is compartmentalized using such a simple thing as food and or fresh water.

I know it is far fetched but starvation is a powerful motivator.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The combined net worth of the 400 richest people in America is about $1.7 trillion. They could set up a trust fund to feed the poor and give tax breaks to the middle and upper middle class, but they have important things to buy like 200ft yachts and 50,000sq foot homes.
edit on 11/24/2012 by MisterMarbles because: el chupacabra sighting

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical

Originally posted by beezzer
You know, if the Obama admin just took all our money and gave us ALL foodstamp cards, and domicile cards, and alcohol cards, and cigarette cards, and automobile cards, then the government could just track and determine how we all should live.

They could certainly set a minimum standard of living for those who are willing and able to work, food stamps are a step towards that. You do realize that food stamps subsidize the wages for millions of people who work at Wal Mart, grocery store chains, fast food joints and other large retail outfits.

My husband works for a grocery store. The bulk of his hours are scheduled at the beginning of each month due to the huge influx of food stamps shoppers. The rest of the month in the store is pretty dead, and his hours are cut back. The other night, his boss told him that he had been running the store for 30 years and that this was the first time he had seen it this bad.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

The combined net worth of the 400 richest people in America is about $1.7 trillion. They could set up a trust fund to feed the poor and give tax breaks to the middle and upper middle class, but they have important things to buy like 200ft yachts and 50,000sq foot homes.

What you are asking for is exactly what TPTB want you to ask for. Heck they will wait until you demand it. And then guess what happens they will give it to you.
Be very careful what you wish for.

How do people fall into total control? They go begging for it time after time country after country. They make the problem and then let the sheep beg for the solution.

The ironic part is if we just followed what the founding fathers gave to us 300 years ago it would work itself out fine. It failed you say? We have not followed it for a very long time and we are reaping what we sow.

Don't believe me? Maybe I am misguided? Just look back into history and it will show you the future. China,Germany,Russia........... The list goes on for pages this is nothing new to our generation.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The high number comes as no surprise. Just take a look at the amount of divorces and those women with children. That figure alone has to be staggering. Add deadbeat dads into the mix, and those that could make it with regular support also find themselves on food stamps.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

The "blaming the rich" is just as pointless as "blaming the poor". Those are the voices of partisan ideology and wont do anything to think up, propose and deliver solutions to the overall problem.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
so, what or who is at fault here?
the people who created the system that created the situation, or those who are in in the situation that the system so created?

and what should be done about either?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The high number is no surprise, the economy tanked, nobody is hiring, many people who had a hard time finding a job before are nearly hopeless now. Thank god there is help for them. Thank god as a country we have a means to take care of people so that fewer suffer and die on the streets.

Welfare gets such a bad rep, but it's a lifeline for those who need it and so harshly judged by those who don't.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join