It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mesoamerican Long Count Ends... A Prophecy is fulfilled

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
So, basically we can only see the changes through the lens of history. And we can only contemplate about future progression. The change happens so gradually that it is natural instead of some grandiose epiphany. Indeed, if what you say is true (and I suspect that it is,) such a change would span several generations that no one person could live to see to its full effects. The change happens on the scale of the species, and not the individual. The wave may rise out of the ocean, but its water remains water.

It seems our attention is darting everywhere except the present. Wow, I guess we're all just a bunch of self-entitled jerks who want personal liberation so much that we can't see the macrocosm of Dec.21.

Perhaps that is the quintessential element we're missing...that we must change together, not individually. We must act as a unit, not as an ego. Okay, I'm sold on this idea!

Thanks for getting my mind noodling, OP. Terrific thread!

edit on 23-11-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrGod

Originally posted by pikestaff

The Parthenon in Rome, Italy, is well over 1,000 years old, totally made of concrete, and still standing, concrete never really stops maturing, it just gets better with age, I think the Parthenon will still be there in another 1,000 years. Ancient Roman concrete is a mixture of processed limestone, sand, and volcanic ash, and even sets underwater.

True, that is why it is still around today.
I doubt that most buildings other than massive and solid structures like the Parthenon will last as long however.

The Parthenon is in Greece, built in 447 BC.
The Pantheon is in Rome and dates from 125 AD.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JustEve

There are other Parthenon's like the one here in Nashville, TN.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by seudonymous

How is the Mayan Prophecy so Accurate?

what is the alledged mayan prophescy ??????????????????????

That's what I was thinking.

I believe when you mix the Maya Long Count ending with the Aztec fifth sun age ending you get December 21, 2012.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

If we are talking about a time period of ~5250 years, I think it would be fair to say it takes, ~250 years to go from one age to the next. Lets assume we are half way through, is there any evidence the last 100 years has been an age of transition? Of course there is. We are entering the age of information.

I think this makes perfect sense.
It is clear that any prediction from so long ago could not foresee an event that changes the world overnight short of an apocalyptic one, so it makes more sense that if this is a time of change it spans X amount of years, and looking at how much civilisation has changed in the past 100 years you have a very valid point...
The speed of technology evolving is ridiculous, even the past 10 years where we are now walking round with phones with more power than computers from 10 years ago.
What will it be like in 10 years more?

Great thread.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamespond
Calling all this meso-american doesn't rest easy with me at all.

I understand what you mean. This is how scholarly types classify it. It would be great if we had a word for continent in the native tongue to replace Americas, but as far as I know none exists today.
"Meso" is a region of the Americas.

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
While we are forgetting about the Hollywood scripted version, why don't we forget about the PTB scripted version as well, where no ancient civilizations existed before 10,000 BC?

Sounds good to me!
The calendar also has a shorter cycle that is significant. Its comprised of two periods of 260 day and 360 days which repeated every 52 years (interestingly biblical text talk of wiping debt after a fifty year period). They also had a longer cycle than the long count, but due to the vast time period and a lack of information it is harder to determine the implications.
Personally, I think...
*Warning: pure speculation coming up*
... that the long count is part of an even greater cycle, a great count, if you will. If we believe the official story, modern human brains developed about ~50 000 years ago. If we times the long count by 12 (a significant number, as I am sure many ATSers know) we are looking at 63 000 years, I believe we have two more long count cycles (~10 500 years) before this great cycle is complete...
Maybe 63 000 years ago an advanced civilization transcended- see my previous threads- transported- left earth for some reason- or transmogrified- some form of devolution- not too mention a natural disaster or a biblical raptor type scenario. I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of advanced civilizations before humans, (maybe Lemuria and Atlantis cities in the last great age, equivalent to New York or Tokyo) but i dont think they are here any more. It is now our turn to evolve.
Apart from the size of the cranium, there is no evidence to suggest neanderthals where sub-human. Maybe they where the ones who taught us all we know...

Originally posted by Renegade2283
wouldn't that leave us with 100 years still to go before the "end" of this transition? If so, where does 2012 come in?
edit on 23-11-2012 by Renegade2283 because: Typo

edit on 23-11-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

Yes, I believe we still have decades before this transition is completed. As i say, it seems to be related to the movement of solar and stellar bodies (cosmic radiation from distant galaxies as our/their position in the milky way changes?...) so to me its sort of like the seasons. We know there will be four seasons next year, we know the rough date the seasons will start and finish, and we know that when winter comes to an end, spring is just around the corner. We have marked it on our calender, but that's only a rough guide for our own sake.

Originally posted by lupodigubbio
this observation might be considered picky but...I don't understand the Macchu Picchu reference which is Incan and technically not Meso-American. There are several notable differences between the Meso vs the Andean that don't only subscribe to their religions. Just wondering why it was included.

Not at all, thanks for pointing that out.
You are right, it was an oversight on my part. I thought I would include it because it's such a great example of what humans are capable of.
Though there was a visible divide between the mountain people of the Andes and the tribal peoples of the Amazon and northern flatland, this calendar appears to outdated both civilizations (from what little we know) so maybe they got their expert mason skills from the same source the Mayans got their extremely accurate calender from...
But mostly just an oversight on my part.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

The bubonic plague changed the face of europe forever around the year 1300 or so. The survivors, our ancestors, are hardier and stronger because of it.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DrGod

What event are you talking about? What happened 10,000 years ago? You lost me.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DrGod

One word: PLASTIC

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by DrGod

Hold on a second. One question I've been burning to ask the leaders of this world - the Presidents and Prime Ministers of every country currently in existence - is: What is the grand plan? Where are we going as a world? What is our ultimate goal, as a species? Are we simply fighting to continue our existence, or are we building up ton a grand finale? Are we struggling to maintain our current phase? Or are we moving forward toward something greater?

I don't want to help build a "yellow brick road" that we can't afford - not when I don't know where it's going. I didn't choose to be here, I didn't choose to be alive, and yet I'm supposed to willingly build a mysterious highway to an unknown future? Not likely. Either I know where I'm leading the future generations, or I'm going to help create a waystation for them to rest while they figure out whether they support that destination.

So what is it? What is our goal as a species? Are we escaping the destruction we've worked to hard to cultivate on this planet? Are we trying to become gods? Are we just struggling to keep from destroying ourselves and draining this world as long as we can before self-destruction becomes inevitable?

What is the endgame? IS there an endgame? This question burns within me. I want to know if there is a mortal purpose, as determined by our great and mighty rulers of this world. I want to know if our elders have engineered a grand plan for the future of this species. Do you know of any?
edit on 23-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)
Bow to authority. You were taught that in school and they did a good job. You are convinced that you are not in control of your own life. Honey, there are no elites running things. We are all over educated monkeys trying to make sense of it all. "THEY" dont know any more than you do.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

It was the americas before it was the USA. America is not an american word. It refers to the continent.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

biblical raptor type scenario Would that be birds or dinosaures?

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DrGod

If that was the case all gold mined would go directly to the Fed. You and I can trade USD for Gold bars, coins, jewelry, etc...I think water, H2o will become the most value as the world turns.
We need over 14 Billion liters per day just to keep humans living at minimum requirements, not including plants and animals.

edit on 23-11-2012 by helltick because: cuz

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by seudonymous
I challenge anyone to recount a century, where the human paradigm changed as rapidly as it did in the 20th century....

I don't think this is a fair question. It seems if one wanted they could find plenty to argue any century resulted in a rapid paradigm shift compared to the previous centuries.

19th century - Age of reflection
18th century - Industrial revolution
17th century - Scientific revolution
16th century - Renaissance
15th century - Printing Press
14th century - Black Plague
13th century - Magna Carta

I agree that our evolution and our way of life is intertwined with technology. I do not think it has anything to do with an ancient calendar, though. Rather, the exponential growth of information along with the exponential growth of technology to consume it has led to where we are today and shows where we are headed tomorrow.

Next century we will have gained leaps and bounds from where we are today, but that has nothing to do with an ancient artifact either.
edit on 23-11-2012 by Templeton because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain

Awesome thread, i like how you think. And while i agree the end of this "Age" seem to be nearly upon us, i´m still not so sure nothing extraordinarily epic will happen on the 21st of dec. It still might

edit on 23-11-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

Thanks

No doubt something could happen, it's been a long time since the long count drew to a close, who knows.
I tried to keep it positive, but all of these discoveries could/have been used against humanities best interests. It's a simple matter of having more people who care about this world than those that don't.

Originally posted by pikestaff
The Parthenon in Rome, Italy, is well over 1,000 years old,

Also a perfect sphere within an inch, if I'm not mistaken. A remarkable feat of human engineering. When you walk into the Pantheon you can't help but be amazed.

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
what is the alledged mayan prophescy ??????????????????????

Calling it a prophesy is a misinterpretation on my part. It is more like our yearly calendar. We have different times in the year because we need to know when the seasons change, or the tides, or when the moon will be out. I think this calendar works in the same way, it marks environmental or social change.
But if you really want to know, checkout the links and listen to the elders..

Originally posted by PrplHrt
You need to get your calendars straight. If the tongue is sticking out (review your photos) it's Aztec.

The Aztecs along with the Mayans and many other cultures all inherited the "Mesoamerican calander" from an earlier, unknown culture...

Originally posted by Rockfish
reply to post by AfterInfinity

There really could only be two end games right now that could be attainable by humans in the near future (50-100 years). One being the ability to permanently leave the planet in case of emergency. The other would be some form of immortality, most likely computer based. I don't see any reason for grander plans than that given our current level of technology.

Agreed. I think it is imposable to comprehend what the next 50-100 years will bring. It would be like people of the renaissance trying to imagine life after the industrial revolution.

Originally posted by facchino

If we are talking about a time period of ~5250 years, I think it would be fair to say it takes, ~250 years to go from one age to the next. Lets assume we are half way through, is there any evidence the last 100 years has been an age of transition? Of course there is. We are entering the age of information.

I think this makes perfect sense.
It is clear that any prediction from so long ago could not foresee an event that changes the world overnight short of an apocalyptic one, so it makes more sense that if this is a time of change it spans X amount of years, and looking at how much civilisation has changed in the past 100 years you have a very valid point...
The speed of technology evolving is ridiculous, even the past 10 years where we are now walking round with phones with more power than computers from 10 years ago.
What will it be like in 10 years more?

Great thread.

I have too say, it's an exiting time to be alive. Jason Silva describes the awe and wonder the future can hold as a mindgasim... I have a mindgasim every time i think of the next ten years.

edit on 23/11/2012 by seudonymous because: Corrected an error pointer out by JustEve, Thanks

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Precisely! It is not enough to simply look at life from the perspective of our short life span. We have developed ways to transcend these limitations (Writing, which allows us to convey complex ideas, such as history). We must learn from our past, but most importantly we must look to build the future, not for our self but for the future of humanity!

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61560

They say the birds will drop to the ground and scurry as reptiles during the 3 days of darkness.
Dunno.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It is clear (to me) that our ancestors had access to their (our) past and were able to "predict" so "accurately" because of this.

If you want to look at a scaled down version of their method of "prediction", then follow me.

What would you say if I told you that tomorrow morning there shall arise a great and firey yellow orb from the East, where the Earth meets the Sky.

You would say?
"NO SHIZZ SHERLOCK"

Is this a prediction?
Depends on YOUR definition of the word "prediction" doesn't it?
I dont really care WHAT you call it.
The fact still remains that tomorrow morning you are going to see something spectacular.
I know this because it has happened before.
It has happened enough times before that I can fairly confidently say with ZERO hesitation that this will occur.

"Yes but Screwed" you say.
"That is because it has happened within YOUR lifetime. The things the ancient cultures like th Mayans and the Aztecs were "predicting" were not within a human lifetime. There's no way they could have known these things"

To which I say,
How did we know EXACTLY when Halley's Comet would make it's apperance in 1986?

Because of this

Halley's returns to the inner Solar System have been observed and recorded by astronomers since at least 240 BCE. Clear records of the comet's appearances were made by Chinese, Babylonian, and medieval European chroniclers, but were not recognized as reappearances of the same object at the time. The comet's periodicity was first determined in 1705 by English astronomer Edmond Halley, after whom it is now named. Halley's Comet last appeared in the inner Solar System in 1986 and will next appear in mid-2061

There are RECORDS!!!!
Records spanning MANY MANY generations.

and just as there are records of this friggin comet, there are also records of this transition that we are in the middle of. It's just that there are forces beyond our comprehension who have gone to GREAT lengths over the centuries to keep this history from us.

If we knew the elevation of consciousness was just as predictable as the common sunrise or sunset then we would have taken the fast road to this new paradigm. As it sits, we are taking the long road.
Either way though, it is GOING to happen just as the sun WILL rise. It might vary the TIME it rises from day to day but that too can be forseen.

This revolution of consciousness HAS TO HAPPEN because it is written into the fabric of the universe.
Just as the Sun HAS TO RISE (from our perspective) tomorrow morning.
Just as you MUST fall to your death if you jump from the top floor of a very tall building.
It isn't a "Prediction" as much as it is just "common sense".

Unfortunately, it is sense that is not so "common" anymore due to the hidden nature of our history.

Once we discover (literally) our history, then it will be a freight train that NO ONE can slow down much less stop.

I truely believe with every fibre of my being that things are not going to "stay the same" for much longer.
We WILL BE given access to our history.

edit on 23-11-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I'm guessing 2012 is just the year where the tipping point is reached. Once 21/12/2012 passes...thats it, at least 51% of humans have gone to Sh*t and theres no turning back. The rabbitt hole will continue to get deeper. I'm very optimistic : )

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Templeton
I don't think this is a fair question. It seems if one wanted they could find plenty to argue any century resulted in a rapid paradigm shift compared to the previous centuries.

19th century - Age of reflection
18th century - Industrial revolution
17th century - Scientific revolution
16th century - Renaissance
15th century - Printing Press
14th century - Black Plague
13th century - Magna Carta

edit on 23-11-2012 by Templeton because: (no reason given)

Valid point, but if you look at this list I think the logical conclusion one comes to, is the exponential growth you talk about is going to peak at some time. It would be hard to measure, but I wonder how moore's law would relate...
Could it be possible that some ancient civilization developed some sort of moore's law, and figured out when there would be a "technological singularity"? Defiantly nothing too do with an object IMO

edit on 23/11/2012 by seudonymous because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join