It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you use texting effectively?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
So I got my first cell phone when I was a freshman in college, which was also the year Facebook came out for college students. Up until that point, socializing went something like this:

"Hey, want to hang out Friday?"
"Sure!"

Then we hang out in real time and talk about things or do activities together. We usually went over what had been going on with our days, made plans for the future or did something like help each other on a homework assignment or gaming. A lot of socializing was actually spent talking about what we were doing together.

----------

So enter 2012. If I try to ask someone to hang out, they usually flake out or don't reply or say they don't know. People don't seem to be very good at talking in person, and don't seem to be good at talking on the phone, either.

Obviously younger people are having substantial relationships or conversations somewhere, right? And making friendships and doing hobbies together? Or no?

Whenever I try to text, I either never get a reply, or the conversation is stopped forever midway through, or something I bring up isn't addressed, or nothing substantial is talked about at all -

At any rate, it is a complete mess. I seriously don't get it.

But every year, it becomes harder and harder to hang out with people in real life or have real-time conversations with them.

So I figured that maybe, maybe, there was a world out there where people were having meaningful relationships online or via text and talking about substantial things and going about being human, just somewhere else. Maybe I just don't know how to access it.

So tips! I would appreciate tips! Thx.

-darkbake
edit on 22-11-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I don't,I find it silly.

People don't seem to be very good at talking in person, and don't seem to be good at talking on the phone, either.

Thats because social media is making people have less real life social skills.
Its easy to hide behind a computer or a text.

But every year, it becomes harder and harder to hang out with people in real life or have real-time conversations with them.

Every year they are getting even less real life social skills as years go on is my opinion,because of social media.

I don't text,twitter or use facebook and I have great relationships with people in real life.
When a girl texts me,I call her and tell her I don't text and please don't text me.
I explain its easier to dial 7 digits and talk to me than text all those letters.
If she texts me again,I ignore her

I have thrown "sure things" away because they kept texting me.
Do things in real life is my advice.

Social media makes people have less social skills in real life is my take on it.

edit on 22-11-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Think we're up against it on this one, I know a guy who's daughters sit on either end of the sofa (couch to our American cousins) and text each other ! Personally I think that is bad parenting as conversation should be encouraged but I'm old school go down the pub and have a heart to heart. I've seen my wifes pupils 'hanging out' all they do is sit together and text other people and each other
. I've even guys at the pub just texting. Way to live the younger generation, as an the middleish aged generation, if they are to look after us .............. we're screwed.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Thanks, that's how I feel but I can't find other people who feel the same way as I do, especially when it comes to dating, but lately friends as well.
edit on 22-11-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Humans no longer exist

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I texted a girl today and ask her hows things going and she replies back "only text me if you lift your game. Tha means meeting and not just sending me text". I have been out with her before four times and each time she complains i never text her. So i dont see her for five month and say hi and get my head bitten off.
Wonders of technology

posted on Nov, 28 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I txt my daughters frequently, even if it's just to tell them I love them.

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder

I txt my daughters frequently, even if it's just to tell them I love them.

So do I. Every night when I walk into work. The message is saved in my inbox so all I have to do is press "re-send". I don't see her much these days so I make sure to do that every night. It's on my person day and night anymore for that reason. Whenever I'm feeling I miss her, I text her. Sometimes she texts back, sometimes not but I always have the phone at the ready for when she does. And for etiquette purposes, we don't name names. We don't have to for obvious reasons.

It's something good we can do when we don't see people we love and miss. At least you're communicating that way and keeping a connection going............................
edit on 4-12-2012 by 4DuecesWild because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I like texting, but not the result of it.

Most of my friends are so wishy-washy that our plans dissolve before they're ever really created. I can't stand how I'll text someone and then they don't text back....how am I supposed to know whether I've made them mad, they've fallen asleep or just don't want to respond? It causes so many social problems!

However, texting can also be useful and fun. I think the biggest problem is ourselves. If we made better choices, perhaps it would be different.

Sorry, I don't really have any tips to give you...if I did I would, though!

top topics

join