It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stores Requiring ID, Tracking To Prevent Repeated Returns

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Stores Requiring ID, Tracking To Prevent Repeated Returns

[url=http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/11/20/consumerwatch-stores-requiring-id-tracking-to-prevent-repeated-returner/]sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com[/u rl]
sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com...

When you make a return this holiday season you may have to hand over more than just your receipt, as retailers try to prevent repeated returns.

“I was required to provide them a copy of my driver’s license, where they actually took the information and scanned it into their database,” said a shopper who asked to be identified only as Leslie.

In fact, according to the National Retail Federation, 62 percent of retailers have a similar policy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Tue Nov 20 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

edit on Tue Nov 20 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
So in order to purchase items at major US retailers we are being required to show Identification but to vote we are not required to show identification; this is quite bizarre on many levels. I feel that given a adequate window, such as voter ID requirements passed in 2013 would not go into effect until the general election of 2016, so there cannot be any cries of voter disenfranchisement from either side of the political spectrum.

[url=http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/11/20/consumerwatch-stores-requiring-id-tracking-to-prevent-repeated-returner/]sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com[/u rl]
sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com...
edit on Tue Nov 20 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I think it's great. Part of the National Confound Assholes Movement. Christmas isn't about STUFF.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by PrplHrt

I'm not familiar with that movement. More details please? ;-)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NickDC202

It's, ahem, an unofficial movement populated by people who are tired of those who whine about what they got for Christmas.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NickDC202

So in order to purchase items at major US retailers we are being required to show Identification but to vote we are not required to show identification; this is quite bizarre on many levels. I feel that given a adequate window, such as voter ID requirements passed in 2013 would not go into effect until the general election of 2016, so there cannot be any cries of voter disenfranchisement from either side of the political spectrum.

That isn't what the article stated. It said that they are asking for the identification on returns to stop repeat returners from profiting from them at the stores expense.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It's actually not all that bad a thing, Op. Many crimes are committed by returning items all the time. In my town alone there were people returning items found on dropped receipts found in the store parking lots and getting new items as if they were the person who originally bought the items on the receipt. It helps stores from losing millions, if not billions each year. As far as your other point is concerned, it is kind of odd that stores require ID to return items but we do not have to show ID in many states to vote. It seems backward.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Let me get this straight.

Now you need to present an ID to make a return,
but you don't need an ID to vote?

Unfreakinbelieveable!

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Yep at my store if someone is returning something that is over 10 or 15 dollars it requires quite a bit of information ranging from: Name, Address, Phone number pretty much everything save for the few bits like Social security. We have actually been doing this for a while; but I think a more intrusive thing is more along the lines of these cards stores are providing whereas you cannot get sale prices without it. Which again my store does.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

edit on 20-11-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Much thanks for the clarification; I appreciate it.

I'll clarify my position a tad: So returning an awful sweater I don't like requires ID but casting a ballot for elected officials, ballot initiatives or referendums does not rise to the level of requiring ID? Seems odd.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystiqueAgent
Yep at my store if someone is returning something that is over 10 or 15 dollars it requires quite a bit of information ranging from: Name, Address, Phone number pretty much everything save for the few bits like Social security. We have actually been doing this for a while; but I think a more intrusive thing is more along the lines of these cards stores are providing whereas you cannot get sale prices without it. Which again my store does.

Living in DC I always give the White House switchboard number at Safeway or other stores asking for a phone number for a loyalty card or for identification: 202 456 1414. Feel free to use it.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NickDC202

Originally posted by MystiqueAgent

Living in DC I always give the White House switchboard number at Safeway or other stores asking for a phone number for a loyalty card or for identification: 202 456 1414. Feel free to use it.

Haha my managers both store and district never see eye to eye. So whenever someone brings something in in terms of returns we have pre-set numbers to use. Name and everything else I just say first initial and all that cause it takes so long as a character is in the field. Which is about the same with the phone number as long as you have the area code it takes. So literally you could walk in and give any random assortment pertaining to at least one thing for each field and you'd be set.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MystiqueAgent

I really admire front line employees such as yourself because I could not imagine dealing with the unconscionable attitudes, behaviors and foul language that I've witnessed countless people display at retailers; I wish I had that kind of patience to remain calm when awful customers take their frustrations out on the employee. Personally, I know that regardless of the situation it is best to shower the employee with kindness; even if they ask you for your ID to return an item.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Yeah it certainly wasn't something I was born with and had to acquire since I deal with a lot of elderly the only way to deal with it all is to just be nice in return or at least as much as possible. I know these new business practices are a hassle and a headache so in anyway possible trying to alleviate it and make the transaction faster or smoother is what I'm about

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Stupid ass practices like that, are why I shop online whenever possible. I know many people that feel the same way. Stores will eventually write their own death warrants with all the added hassles they keep piling on.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
WallyWorld has been asking for receipt & Driver License for at
least 4 yrs that I know of...Not a fan & hate shopping there since
nothing or hardly anything is made in the USA. The Pharmaceuticals
can be much cheaper than others, but some are not, so it's all about
your home work.
Dude, OP LMAO!!! Thanks for the WH number! I always make one up
but yours is brilliant!

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ektar
Dude, OP LMAO!!! Thanks for the WH number! I always make one up
but yours is brilliant!

Cheers
Ektar

Btw, I forgot to mention that the White House number ALWAYS works for customer loyalty cards regardless of the store or where in the country I am. It's easy to remember: 202 456 1414
edit on 11/20/2012 by NickDC202 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

There is an alternate reason why they do this, its to keep track of theft.

About 20 years ago I went into an auto parts store with a shady friend of mine, and he showed me how he would steal things left and right and walk out of the store, only to walk back in on another day and return them for cash. He did this frequently.

Obviously if your the same person returning many returns, they are going to start watching you.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ektar
WallyWorld has been asking for receipt & Driver License for at
least 4 yrs that I know of...Not a fan & hate shopping there

WallyWorld is a real place? I thought it was just a fictional theme park that the Grizwalds drove cross-country to go to see the Mooseist Moose they know...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join