It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about Thanksgiving....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit

Originally posted by Manhater
What's stock?

says to add two cups of stock to the turkey and to baste?

Stock is a heavier version of broth. Basically just broth reduced to concentrate flavor. It can be purchased, but not generally turkey flavor.

Ah, okay thank you.
Kinda of figured that's what it was.
Wasn't sure though.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by muzzleflash

But as I pointed out, it will dry out the turkey.

I don't see why the stuffing has to be cooked in the bird.

It doesnt have to be I agree.

I personally would cook them separate but then again its not my call.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Hmm, dry turkey is horrific.

Im gonna have to say I would prefer to eat it the way you do it.

Sooo...can I come over for dinner on Thur?
Haha

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

LOL

I would have you over but I am going out to eat.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Just cook down the turkey juices in the pan. YOu can even through the whole pan over two burners.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I've always stuffed the dang turkey and ain't died yet. My family recipe is a oyster stuffing, and it delicately flavours the bird with oysterie goodness. Maybe it'll kill someone some day, but I'm shellfish like that.
Besides, if stuffing is evil, what dose that make a turduckhen??

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Dinner is a bust...So, I give up this year.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

your only spossed to wrap the turkey if ur deep frying it, unless she wanted to bake it in tin foil and then take it out remove the tin foil and crisp the outside

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I always stuff my turkey before cooking. But I make the stuffing extra moist so it helps keep the bird from drying out on the inside, Then I cook the turkey at a slightly lower temperature for a slightly longer time so the heat has more chance to soak into the bird and the stuffing. The bird comes out tender and juicy and the stuffing comes out gooey and delicious. I use the drippings to make gravy and that makes the dressing taste even better.

As to aluminum foil, I only use it on the wings to keep them from overcooking. But a second option for the wings that works if you get it right is to bend them back on themselves and tuck the tips under the meatier portions. Then you only need foil for a very short time to keep the wings tasty.

Here is a hint for fabulous stuffing. If you like to use giblets in your stuffing buy a pound of chicken gizzards and boil them until tender in just enough water to cover them. Be sure to skim occasionally. Use chicken stock in place of the water for even more flavor. You could also add a few packets of Herb Ox sodium free chicken base powder as well. Then you cut up the gizzards into bite size pieces and add both the gizzards and the liquid to the stuffing. This makes for one heck of a rich stuffing with tender chewy bits of gizzard and the other giblets too.
edit on 20-11-2012 by happykat39 because: added info

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39
I always stuff my turkey before cooking. But I make the stuffing extra moist so it helps keep the bird from drying out on the inside, Then I cook the turkey at a slightly lower temperature for a slightly longer time so the heat has more chance to soak into the bird and the stuffing. The bird comes out tender and juicy and the stuffing comes out gooey and delicious. I use the drippings to make gravy and that makes the dressing taste even better.

That's what I wanted to do. But, she was in too much of a hurry. Turkey taste like elastic. I ate it. I was hungry. So, whose house can I come to for Thanksgiving dinner?

edit on 20-11-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
You use the foil to keep the turkey from getting too brown. Remove it the last hour for a nice honey-brown look. It just needs to be laid over the top, not tucked in or anything and leave the legs exposed for those who like the crispy parts.

I always stuff the turkey with my own dressing. I make the corn bread from scratch, make the bread from scratch, add celery, onion, butter, pepper, sage, and stock, and that's all you need. EVERYONE wants the dressing from the turkey and only reluctantly takes it from the "side bowl" of extra dressing.

The first Thanksgiving my wife and I were together my daughter was 14. Wife came home with store-bought corn bread dressing. My daughter and I looked at her with kind of a "What the hell do you think you are doing?" look. It's been nearly 20 years so we're cool now, but that first holiday was a little iffy.....

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Why do I get the impression that she waited too long to start the turkey and then had to throw dinner together?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Why do I get the impression that she waited too long to start the turkey and then had to throw dinner together?

She refuses to eat it because she thinks it's overcooked. Me on the other hand, have been nuking the leftovers. No point in letting food go to waste.

On the first I'm going to buy another Turkey and cook it my dang self and she is going to stay out of the kitchen this time, if I have to tie her to the chair.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join