It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paralyzed dogs walk again with cell injections

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I found this story to be interesting because I went to graduate school with a guy that was a quadriplegic. He has been a big proponent of stem cell research in our state. I have heard from mutual friends that he has explored travelling abroad to attempt to get stem cell therapy treatments.

Paralyzed dogs in a U.K. study have been restored to mobility thanks to injected cells, letting Cambridge University scientists dare to hope that the technique could eventually aid the treatment of humans.

In experiments done by the U.K. Medical Research Council's Regenerative Medicine Centre and Cambridge University's Veterinary School, 23 hobbled dogs who had suffered spinal injuries were injected with cells grown from the nasal passages of healthy dogs. The cells were injected into their spines.

source:www.cbc.ca...

I think our society in the US needs to be more open minded about the possibilities of stem cells.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheHistorian
I think our society in the US needs to be more open minded about the possibilities of stem cells.

Absolutely, since they can apparently be taken from harmless sources and the religious/moral people no longer have anything to argue about concerning their use. This is could be huge, potentially life-changing medical help for many people.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Absolutely amazing! This technology needs to be applied to Humans as soon as possible! And any religious whackjobs that disagree because of the moral implications should be paralyzed until they revise their opinion!
edit on 20-11-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I agree completely that we need to move past the moral arguments regarding stem cell research and possible treatments that could be derived from said research.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I find it quite strange this thread has not had a lot of a attention from ATS. They just made a paraplegic mammal walk again!!!! We are mammals also, same rules apply! This should be front page news IMHO.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

I always am amazed at what gets promoted on ATS. I think a lot of the time the crazier the subject material the more likely something is to get promoted.

With that said, maybe I should change to something crazy like "Dog can walk after get ALIEN cell injection in spine."

Then make some wild political claim that the GOP is trying to suppress ALIEN cell theapy and Obama is SHAPE SHIFTING REPTILIAN who is trying to devert attention to this discovery by using ILLUMINATI SYMBOLISM in main stream media and pop songs.

Front page in an hour!

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHistorian

That would work me thinks! LoL

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
I find it quite strange this thread has not had a lot of a attention from ATS. They just made a paraplegic mammal walk again!!!! We are mammals also, same rules apply! This should be front page news IMHO.

That is a good point. I saw the footage on t.v of the dachshund walking while hooked up to monitors. It's interesting that they chose that type of animal, perhaps the reason is the distance between the legs. Sorry for not reading the links before posting so maybe that has been addressed.

The real proof with these studies is if it works long term. If it does this is incredible. Well, it is amazing the gifts modern medicine has afforded us.

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
They took the stem cells from the dogs nose and the grew them in the lab so for these purposes it shouldnt affect any religious dogma.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loopdaloop
They took the stem cells from the dogs nose and the grew them in the lab so for these purposes it shouldnt affect any religious dogma.

Im sure the religious communities will find some kind of fault with this. Genetic engineering utilising T Cells taken to its logical conclusion offers the Human race the prospect of immortality. Religious individuals cannot accept the premise of immortality in there opinion thats Gods domain only.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Since the burning of the ancient knowledge, most notably the Library of Alexandria, Christianity has set us back millennia. The plans for Hero’s steam turbine were kept there. Since they were all destroyed because they were pagan and ungodly, these Christians have set us back 1,600 years in this case, because it was that many years later that the steam engine was developed.

Stem cell research is a must and no sky god worshippers should get in the way. Buggering little boys seems to preoccupy these sad f#cks more anyway.

new topics

top topics

join