It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disney's Preconditioning of Children

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Its been awhile since I posted on here. I mainly just read the post but today I decided to share something I saw yesterday. Being sick with the stomach flu, I decided to go to the E.R. It was pretty crowded, so I took a seat in the children's section next to some other adults and thier sick kids. The big screen television was tuned to the Disney channel, showing a kids program and for the life of me I could not get over how dull it was. It wasn't funny at all, the actors where very robotic like and the teens in the show seemed very materialistic. They were talking about jewelry, phones and money. It had absolutely no plot. When the program switched to commercials, it showed a young girl glittered in jewelry, talking on a phone and scantily dressed. Now i'm 30 yrs old, almost 31 and I remember when I was a kid, even my grandfather would laugh at Save By The Bell or Parker Lewis can't Lose or Boy Meets World. But these new Disney and Nickelodeon shows are horrendous. There is no substance, meaning or a moral idea to take and learn from any of it. Are TPTB trying to create a generation of dull and materialistic people? I know its just a thought but it's concerning. I don't have kids but I'm sure there is better stuff out there for them. Also the few kids in the section weren't laughing, they were just staring at it soaking it in with no emotion. Maybe because they were sick. I don't know. I just wanted to know what everyone else thought of this or could relate. Thanks
edit on 11/19/12 by Hefficide because: fixed all caps title

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
It is no secret that Disney's approach to kids is to make them lifelong customers.

Movies, TV, theme parks, etc;

Walt had a goal to overtake the Nickelodeon family.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CannibalCorpse1982

I'm am 80's Baby as well, and I can't agree with you more. I ask my daughter how she could watch the crap does that she does. I have been trying my hardest to either get her to read or at least watch the History or Discovery channel.
Plus one for Parker Lewis Can't Lose and Saved By The Bell. Now that I look back, they always had good morals no matter what their hijinks. Let's synchronize swatches.
edit on 11/19/1212 by 1MrMarc because: oops

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Any and every business entity wants your money and repeat business, and or the same for its commercial sponsors/shareholders/product lines as long as it can be had.

It's no secret.
Did you think that Disney was suppose to babysit children and teach them something like values?
Typically that's what parents are for.

Generation gap may have drifted so far for you that you're just totally out of touch with what's what now.
For instance, now days, paragraphs are all the rage.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Sorry I don't have thousands of post like you and can spend my whole day on this site. I got better things to do than worry about paragraphs yard ape

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CannibalCorpse1982
Its been awhile since I posted on here. I mainly just read the post but today I decided to share something I saw yesterday. Being sick with the stomach flu, I decided to go to the E.R. It was pretty crowded, so I took a seat in the children's section next to some other adults and thier sick kids. The big screen television was tuned to the Disney channel, showing a kids program and for the life of me I could not get over how dull it was. It wasn't funny at all, the actors where very robotic like and the teens in the show seemed very materialistic. They were talking about jewelry, phones and money. It had absolutely no plot. When the program switched to commercials, it showed a young girl glittered in jewelry, talking on a phone and scantily dressed. Now i'm 30 yrs old, almost 31 and I remember when I was a kid, even my grandfather would laugh at Save By The Bell or Parker Lewis can't Lose or Boy Meets World. But these new Disney and Nickelodeon shows are horrendous. There is no substance, meaning or a moral idea to take and learn from any of it. Are TPTB trying to create a generation of dull and materialistic people? I know its just a thought but it's concerning. I don't have kids but I'm sure there is better stuff out there for them. Also the few kids in the section weren't laughing, they were just staring at it soaking it in with no emotion. Maybe because they were sick. I don't know. I just wanted to know what everyone else thought of this or could relate. Thanks

It's been so long that you forgot how to NOT post a wall of text.

Sorry, but can you break it up for those of us that are "Wall-Challenged?"

Peace

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Disney is strictly a for-profit company now. The prices they charge for their cheap made-in-China toys and clothes are obscene, not to mention the ridiculous amount it costs to go and visit one of their theme parks.

Once upon a time, they made cartoons that told wonderful stories, with legendary animators. Later, they made wonderful family movies that were enjoyable and memorable. Disney stood for quality family entertainment.

My first husband, long ago, was very well connected with the Disney corporation. I can't say anymore without revealing who he was, but my point is, Disney stood for something, and it wasn't profits. Profits were the by-products of state of the art work.

Somewhere along the line (I want to say around the 1990s), Disney became a totally different animal. The cartoons they cranked out were simply eye candy in order to sell all the merchandise, a complete opposite of its admirable past.

I became very anti-Disney at that point, not buying my kids any of the junk that had the Disney label on it.

It is now mindless crap, you are correct. The theme parks are over-priced, over-crowded, and not worth the hassle. The Disney channel and radio Disney are just noise and color and have all the substance of a puff of smoke.

I guess I'm a little more prejudiced than most, due to my past. Like all good things, it came to an end. What it has become is very sad. Disney is still peddling the name, but there is nothing behind it. Walt must be spinning in his cryogenic chamber over what his legacy has become.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I miss the old days
after a night of corporate brainwashing,
the government would shut down the broadcast
reminding us
who was in charge.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
The best thing we ever did was kiss our satellite tv goodbye. Our kids vegged out in front of the darned thing and Disney all the time. Then times got hard and it was decided that tv was an unnecessary bill and that was that.

The first months were tough with a lot of whining, but we've been tv free for five years now. We pick up absolutely no reception at all, and although we do rent movies from time to time, the kids have really taken to reading and alternative forms of entertainment. Best of all, they no longer have the big consumer mentality that goes along with seeing endless commercials for useless crap.

I've noticed that now when they ask for something, it's been more thought out and is usually a more useful item. They have also learned valuable researching skills by having to look up what they are interested in using books or the computer.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

You are so correct. I worked for a preschool for a number of years and the kids were so obsessed with the latest Disney whatever. I hate to think back on how many licensed toys I viewed at show and tell each day. Their parents must have been crazy to buy all that junk.

Every time a new movie or program came out, you could count on seeing a whole new group of items. They played with them, wore them, watched them, wanted to be them. It's kind of warped in a way and I don't think Walt would be happy either.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
And in the teeny bopper shows they produce, the adults are pretty much portayed as dolts. Especially men and especially fathers.

Disney has become a tool of the feminst anti-family agenda. Women are smart and cool, Men are stupid. Fathers are worthless and uncessesary.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Save By The Bell or Parker Lewis can't Lose or Boy Meets World are the same. Its a different generation, things change. Its not good but its not bad. Remember the TV is not your friend IT NEVER WAS. It has all ways been a weapon controlled by the most powerful. Its a sheep dog to move herd and thats what its ALL WAYS been. Dont try to make compromises because you grew up with it. You know its bad, just as bad as its all ways been. The only thing that changes is the technology and the generation. If you sat down with me and watched a saved by the bell episode I could point A TON of brainwashing trickery. Any tv show really.... Look at how similar shows are. New shows are not new they just have new characters and THEMES. (Themes are key)

A couple years back I was made aware of the televisions power. The most powerful weapon on the earth. I did not understand how they brainwashed us so I started to do some research on how the TV works and how shows are set up. I then started to analyze every little thing in a tv show. It was a hard awakening. Most people really are robots spouting what they saw on their TV.
edit on 19-11-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Disney is strictly a for-profit company now. The prices they charge for their cheap made-in-China toys and clothes are obscene, not to mention the ridiculous amount it costs to go and visit one of their theme parks.

Once upon a time, they made cartoons that told wonderful stories, with legendary animators. Later, they made wonderful family movies that were enjoyable and memorable. Disney stood for quality family entertainment.

My first husband, long ago, was very well connected with the Disney corporation. I can't say anymore without revealing who he was, but my point is, Disney stood for something, and it wasn't profits. Profits were the by-products of state of the art work.

Somewhere along the line (I want to say around the 1990s), Disney became a totally different animal. The cartoons they cranked out were simply eye candy in order to sell all the merchandise, a complete opposite of its admirable past.

I became very anti-Disney at that point, not buying my kids any of the junk that had the Disney label on it.

It is now mindless crap, you are correct. The theme parks are over-priced, over-crowded, and not worth the hassle. The Disney channel and radio Disney are just noise and color and have all the substance of a puff of smoke.

I guess I'm a little more prejudiced than most, due to my past. Like all good things, it came to an end. What it has become is very sad. Disney is still peddling the name, but there is nothing behind it. Walt must be spinning in his cryogenic chamber over what his legacy has become.

You should look into how those movies wear made and how they can manipulate populations. Disney has NEVER been our friend.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Disney does what all corporations do, peddle their brand and make kids want their toys.

Most if not all of Disney's movies are bad for children. Think about it; most of their woman are skinny with big boobs and big hips, very few women actually look like that. Think about the morals...in Beauty and the Beast, Belle was kidnapped, held hostage and abused, only to fall in love with this 'charming' prince.

That's your job as a parent. I have two daughters that know better. Although I am a professional photographer and they see me change women's shapes and complexions, so they realize most things they see are fake.

My children still watch Disney shows, but they watch plenty more of discovery and animal planet. And if you watch them, they love these shows, it fills their little brains with tons of questions and it helps them understand and learn more about nature.

That's the parents job though, don't be lazy and plop your kids down in front of the Disney channel or Disney movies, take an active part in what they are learning about.

That's what parenting is about...

Pred...

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I don't know why people are griping about your 'body of text', I had no problems at all reading and digesting it. I have noticed more and more people these days seem to require information in decreasingly smaller chunks, like visual 'sound bites' or they just can't concentrate and take it all in.

Anyway, regarding your point about how crappola Disney (and in my opinion most cartoons/kids shows) are these days, I totally agree. I grew up with The Banana Splits, The Pink Panther Show, The Herbs, Trumpton, Trap Door, Rent-a-Ghost, The Funky Phantom and loads more fun, funny, interesting and thought provoking shows. I am dismayed with the mind numbing rubbish and brainwashing tripe that is pushed out on kids these days. Most of which does not even have much in the way of creative visual design for inspiration. That is one of the reasons why 4.5 years ago I decided to get rid of the television and instead got pc's and a projector. We have lots of great laughs as a family watching the films we want to watch and funny/interesting/educational/artistic/diverse 'programmes' from good old youtube and also play some board games/cards in between times.

I do think there is some sort of agenda to the demise of decent television programmes. I believe it is being swayed by governmental forces to change the mind set of the up and coming population so that people are not inspired, do not think further than the tv & adverts and think that the bad behaviour displayed daily in their programming is normal and acceptable. It's an outrage, for which we in the UK are legally required to pay an annual and hefty fee (on top of any other television packages that you decide to buy into).

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
Save By The Bell or Parker Lewis can't Lose or Boy Meets World are the same. Its a different generation, things change. Its not good but its not bad. Remember the TV is not your friend IT NEVER WAS. It has all ways been a weapon controlled by the most powerful. Its a sheep dog to move herd and thats what its ALL WAYS been. Dont try to make compromises because you grew up with it. You know its bad, just as bad as its all ways been. The only thing that changes is the technology and the generation. If you sat down with me and watched a saved by the bell episode I could point A TON of brainwashing trickery. Any tv show really.... Look at how similar shows are. New shows are not new they just have new characters and THEMES. (Themes are key)

A couple years back I was made aware of the televisions power. The most powerful weapon on the earth. I did not understand how they brainwashed us so I started to do some research on how the TV works and how shows are set up. I then started to analyze every little thing in a tv show. It was a hard awakening. Most people really are robots spouting what they saw on their TV.

Your research sounds interesting. Care to make an educational thread about it and break it down for us all to see and understand?
If you do, please message me so I don't miss it

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

Not sure what this is, and can't watch it due to the makers blocking it in my country! Doh!

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

I've noticed that they portray adults, and especially men, as stupid too. Whenever I was a kid, my dad would not let us watch any shows that had children showing disrespect to adults. At the time I thought it was a bit harsh, but as an adult, I finally understand how he felt about it.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
If you take a good look around, you will see that kids as well as people already HAVE become more materialistic than ever.

Everywhere I look I see young kids with cell phones and much of the other things mentioned.

When we are brainwashed to feel a need to buy and possess as much useless crap as we can. Isn't it called consumerism?

It's why we have to have 30 different types of brand new cars come out every year.
New and more capable cell phones every few months.
Most things are disposable, so that you have to keep going out and buying more.
A few of the ones I see most in commercials and find completely useless: Swiffer products, razors, Air Fresheners etc..

Quite frankly I think its all a massive waste of resources.

I see I'm kind of off topic, sorry for ranting.

But I do get your point and agree with you completely. Television is corrupting the minds of our young completely.

Seeing as they are supposed to be the future of humanity, I find it very disturbing and sad.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join