It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel Hamas cease-fire truce backed by US, Egypt, Turkey, Qatar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I was wondering why all the news sources ive been looking at regarding the conflict hasnt had any new news in a while and things seem kind of quiet. I guess this is why:

"Israel is currently negotiating a cease-fire with Palestinians in the Gaza Strip to take effect later in the night, sources told Channel 2 on Saturday night.

Egyptian President Mohamad Morsi gave credence to the report, saying there are "some indications" of a cease-fire in Gaza, but that there were not yet any guarantees.

The agreement is backed by Turkey, Qatar, Egypt and the United States, according to Channel 2."

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Very good news. I hope it will end soon.
If it will not end in the near future - there will be ground invasion and scores of dead on both sides and then it will end in the same status quo way,nevertheless.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Like all the other cease fire agreements worked.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
thank god
this is good news

cooler heads can prevail

xploder

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Very good news. I hope it will end soon.
If it will not end in the near future - there will be ground invasion and scores of dead on both sides and then it will end in the same status quo way,nevertheless.

do'nt hope...just politics....warlord's games.....

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Great... Wonderful idea... Lets have a cease fire. Lets just end the whole fight. That's worked wonders in the past, eh?

So if the kids in Israeli leadership and the kids in Hamas leadership don't FINISH their fight to the satisfaction of both groups of children in power......when shall we expect the interruption of settling the issue to end and fighting to resume? A week? Month? Year? I mean if they don't see this through this time we can be 100% absolutely certain another war will come. It's happened 100% of the time up to this point.

I say all these nations need to shut up, sit down and just behave while the situation the whole world HELPED create from the UN in '47 to everyone flooding the Arabs and Jews with weapons since resolves itself in the only way it still CAN. I hope it doesn't set the whole region on fire, but cease fires won't stop that. They'll only delay the inevitable. May as well get this dance going and see it done so MAYBE peace with meaning can finally be worked on. Just my view.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Israel Denies Report it Will Sign Ceasefire in Cairo

www.israelnationalnews.com...

Israel will send a senior official on its behalf to Cairo to sign a ceasefire, Hizbullah-affiliated channel Al-Mayadeen reported Saturday. According to Palestinian sources, the ceasefire will start Saturday at midnight.

Egypt's President Mohamed Morsi said on Saturday his government was in touch with both Israelis and Palestinians and there were indications they could "soon" reach a truce, but there were no guarantees.

"There are some indications that there could be a ceasefire soon," Morsi said at a joint news conference with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, adding that there were still "no guarantees."

He said his country's government was in "vigorous" communication with both the Palestinians and Israel.

A senior Hamas official had earlier told AFP his movement was reluctant to agree a truce because it doubted the terms of the ceasefire could be guaranteed. Hamas' terms were announced by the organization on television, and had no mention of the rocket-fire on Israli civilians that led Israel to the Pillar of Defense Operation.

The Haaretz reports Netanyahoo! will agree to a cease fire if rockets from Gaza stop.

Netanyahu says Israel will agree to cease-fire if rockets from Gaza stop

www.haaretz.com... ckets-from-gaza-stop-1.478624

As Operation Pillar of Defense entered its fifth day, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke over the weekend with U.S. President Barack Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, saying he had told both that he is prepared for a comprehensive cease-fire if the rocket fire from Gaza will stop.

Israel has recalled 70,000 reservists and are prepared to go to war for at least 7 weeks so we'll see where this all goes.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Your view is great, but Israel and PLO could not agree. There is no way Israel and much more radical Hamas will agree.
Huge push for peace in the 90s ,with all the world and who not involved ,with Palestinians finally getting at least some sort of autonomy and their own airport and naval port- ended in intifada.
I say - the more days when nobody dies ,the better. Anything bigger then this is not achievable in the near future - and that is the huge optimist in me who wrote down the "near" word.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Why would Israel agree to any ceasefire when rockets are still being fired?

Habayit Hayehudi Chairman Naftali Bennett said he was against ceasefire. "When rockets are fired toward Tel Aviv and Beersheba we shouldn’t be talking; we should stop rocket fire capability. There's no room for negotiation. We must take down Hamas."

Bennett added: "The world is watching us, seeing that in face of rockets fired at Israel we are engaged in negotiations.

www.ynetnews.com...

Here is the thing, everyone outside the middle east should take a step back and let them finish things on their terms, because unless the world wants to put a permanent force to keep the peace these "cease fire agreements" are just meaningless.
edit on 17-11-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

None of it is achievable until the two sides agree to stop trying to kill each other. Specific to this situation though, if we want to look to details, is Hamas's charter and stated purpose for existing. Before quoting their own Mission Statement/Charter tho...

I'd note Gaza has been at war with Israel these last few days. Ramallah has not. The West Bank has not been firing into Israel, up and down the line. They haven't been over-running Settlements or even trying to. This, right now anyway, is Gaza City vs. Tel Aviv for the leaders of those two powers. The citizens never wanted this, I'm sure. Who WANTS to die for the glory of others that don't even care about the loss? However...one side actually codifies it into written word. Until Hamas first stops firing thousands of rockets into Israel (Over NINE THOUSAND since Israel withdrew from Gaza...and that is what cease fires do) there can be no peace...ony brief periods between fights.

Article Twelve

Hamas regards Nationalism (Wataniyya) as part and parcel of the
religious faith. Nothing is loftier or deeper in Nationalism than waging
Jihad against the enemy and confronting him when he sets foot on the land
of the Muslims. And this becomes an individual duty(25) binding on every
Muslim man and woman; a woman must go out and fight the enemy even without
her husband's authorization, and a slave without his masters' permission.

Article Thirteen

[Peace] initiatives, the so-called peaceful solutions, and the
international conferences to resolve the Palestinian problem, are all
contrary to the beliefs of the Islamic Resistance Movement. For renouncing
any part of Palestine means renouncing part of the religion; the
nationalism of the Islamic Resistance Movement is part of its faith, the
movement educates its members to adhere to its principles and to raise the
banner of Allah over their homeland as they fight their Jihad: "Allah is
the all-powerful, but most people are not aware."

and another passage from Article 13 of the Hamas Charter:

There is no solution to the Palestinian problem except by Jihad.
The initiatives, proposals and International Conferences are but a waste
of time(27), an exercise in futility. The Palestinian people are too noble
to have their future, their right and their destiny submitted to a vain
game. As the Hadith has it:

Now Israel at least has someone to negotiate with in the West Bank. It's not great but someone exists who is capable of negotiating in good faith. That has no equivalent in Gaza. They are run by very VERY different organizations and leadership groups......which is something the media seems to gloss over.

So if a cease fire comes before Hamas believes they've been totally defeated OR been victorious (which by their charter comes at NOTHING short of the total reoccupation of all the land Israel currently calls a nation) then the fighting will resume and the war will pick up again. Next time, perhaps, with better weapons and more destructive systems. This one saw the introduction of medium range missiles. What shall another period of rearming bring?

In logistics? OF COURSE both sides may discuss cease fire.... Israel has to be running a bit low on Iron Dome stocks and Hamas has got to be running a bit low of Missiles. Cease fire over there never seems to mean actually ending anything. It's just a mutually agreed time to re-arm and fight better next time.

I failed to source my stuff. My apologies

The Charter of Allah: The Platform of the Islamic Resistance Movement (HAMAS)*
edit on 17-11-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This will not end anytime soon in the coming months. Hamas isn't just some terrorist faction, it is also the political party that governs the Gaza Strip, and Israel assassinated the second in command of their military, and subsequently made public the video of said act only hours thereafter. Don't be fooled by what you hear because neither side wants this to end, therefore it won't. All that is possible now is for the situation to escalate, which is precisely the thing that will happen, and quickly. Mark my words, by the end of this 'situation', a majority of the Middle East will be in ruins.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

I am quite sure other middle eastern interests will make sure that the Hamas has access to missile supplies.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Fatah cannot sign peace with Israel even if they wanted to if Arab league will not support them. Arab league will not support anything that blocks return of refugees. Israel will not accept any deal that mentions return of refugees. There is no way around it.

Hamas cannot be removed because it sits among supporting population about which it does not give a damn.

It sounds really pessimistic and passive, but that's the way i see it.
Accepting that Israel and its neighbors will not coexist like US and Canada or European nations in last 50 years but rather like cat and dog and maneuvering accordingly to reduce phases of open hostilities is the best way to deal with that in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a question because i missed why it started.

Did the Hamas leader get taken out before this conflict started this time or after the the conflict had started?

and I am not talking about rockets being fired weeks or months ago

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Hard question because rockets on Israel are fired every month, tens of them. Lately it escalated a bit and there were 3 attacks on Israeli forces on Israeli-Gaza border.
Israeli leaders stated they will act - and then came strike on Gaza that killed one of Hamas military ;eaders and blew several missile storage sites. Then Hamas reacted. Then Israel reacted . Then Hamas reacted. Then... et ctr.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Israel took out the Hamas military leader, posted it on youtube....then this all started.

Lots of artillery / drone attacks going on now. (you can hear it on the stream)

www.ustream.tv...

(and read a report that Israel has fired into Syria in response to being fired upon)

Tweeter - appears that more missiles are getting past the Israel Iron Dome defense. With the reserves already been called up and the continuation of this, you can be sure a ground force operation will be underway.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I still see Hamas as justified. If they feel that land belongs to them, it is not our place to interfere. Calling them "children" for their actions is sheer ignorance - ignorance of the historical context of the region, and ignorance of the spiritual context of the conflict.

"Jihad" to Muslims just means fulfilling a holy directive. It doesn't mean waging war. Even if it did - to anyone whose head isn't firmly buried in the sand, it would seem that they are AT war, and have been since European Jewry started invading the region in the 40s.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

Lots of people thought that land was theirs.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

Oh, I called both sides Children and was very careful to make that equal. The terrorist killers of Hamas are no better than those planning raids to use the Israeli Defense Force in heavy military raids across residential areas.

.....of course Hamas killers hide their missile stocks IN those Residential areas and then fire them from inside the same civilian areas...so it kinda leaves Israel no choice. Still, I think it would be proper that Israel risk their own tails and go in with troops for this rather than 500lbs bombs dropped from screaming F-16's at a couple thousand feet in a blur.

Jihad, incidentally, means Struggle. Internal or external, there are different kinds of Jihad to a devout Muslim as I understand it. However, in this context, they've made it crystal clear in their own words that they DO mean armed struggle and that means clearing the land of Jews. That would entail the killing of over 6 million human beings to achieve their goal...OR..just fighting until the end of time. Whichever comes first.

Perhaps, as Israel has politely demanded as a basic prerequisite to serious talks (then gone ahead and talked with them away more than once) Hamas could just remove that part about eradicating the Jewish people to a person. That could actually help improve the atmosphere of constructive dialogue. I can't imagine how difficult talks must be across from someone who would cut your throat then have lunch without ever so much as missing a beat.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

one day they motivate Israel to start an unfair war and when they see the reaction of people the next day they say oh we need a ceasefire

top topics

<<   2 >>

join