It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Black Watch to patrol Baghdad

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
So.......Bush has got his way then?????

The Black Watch will be patrolling the streets of Baghdad in the coming weeks. Not only that, but they will also be under US command. So lets hope that the generals take a step back and let the BW get on with the task they have been given.

This is not a 'notional' posting - the areas, in the south of the city, are dangerous places.........as many US soldiers have discovered to their cost.

All we can do is wish the Black Watch "Good Luck" and hope that their professionalism and understanding of the Iraqi people pays off.

[edit on 20/10/2004 by BillyTheCat]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
what is the black watch?

Are you referring to non-US troops going in or something?

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
But it's part of the UK services that are filled with Scots.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
But it's part of the UK services that are filled with Scots.

Indeed.

They're passing the buck again. Instead of sending English soldiers that may affect a future British election if they die they're sending Scottish soldiers.

Sickening.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The Black Watch should do fine. They have a bit more experience than the US troops with this type of action. Ireland was not Bahgdad, but they have that urban warfare / terrorism / winning hearts stuff that the U.S. troops lack.

Best of Luck

And Thanks

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The only reason the Black Watch is there is because the US troops that they replaced are going to Fallujah to get ready for the next asault.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
They're passing the buck again. Instead of sending English soldiers that may affect a future British election if they die they're sending Scottish soldiers.

Sickening.

The BRITISH govt is sending BRITISH troops, end of story. I'm sure our Scottish prime minister and Scottish chancellor have no ulterior motives in this.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
My Grandfather was in WWI, U.S. Army Medic/Corporal. Told me the German troops feared the Scot's so much when they heard the bag pipes they would cry. He told me captured German Troops told him they would much rather face an American who would shoot them than a Scotsman who would lay down his rifle and use his battle axe on them. I have posted this before and it is true. I don't care how tough the Iraqi's are who are doing the insurgency work, if they piss off the Scots, they will be splattered from one end of the earth to the other.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Lets get something straight here.......Scotland is part of the United Kingdom, which is also known as Great Britain. The Black Watch are not just made up of Scots, it also has Welsh, English and for all I know, Northern Irish men in its ranks.

We are talking BRITISH here.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillyTheCat
Lets get something straight here.......Scotland is part of the United Kingdom, which is also known as Great Britain. The Black Watch are not just made up of Scots, it also has Welsh, English and for all I know, Northern Irish men in its ranks.

It is made up of scots in the vast majority. As a Scot I'm not inclined to feel chipper about seeing them go off into a battle like this. It's not even a battle, it's more like "extreme peacekeeping" and to send combat troops of the calibre of the black watch to mop up an American mistake is an insult.

As for Tony being Scottish? He may have been born in Edinburgh but he's about as middle england as they come.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   

its a complete scottish regiment. there are lots of regiments. heh i think it was black watch or the argyl's that charged the enemy with bayonets in iraq at the start of the year he he they done better with bayonets than with bullets. the last charge with bayonets was in the falklands by another scottish regiment.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
My Grandfather was in WWI, U.S. Army Medic/Corporal. Told me the German troops feared the Scot's so much when they heard the bag pipes they would cry. He told me captured German Troops told him they would much rather face an American who would shoot them than a Scotsman who would lay down his rifle and use his battle axe on them.

My Grandfather also. He was a Canadian MP Provost Marshall in WWII and he was in a situation where they (the Americans), were pinned down for days. The word was passed...save one bullet for each man so they would not be taken alive.

On the third day, the Canadian Black Watch came uver the hill, bagpipes played and in his words "mopped up the Nazis". He said the Nazis were scared big time.

The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada traces its roots to The Black Watch of Scotland. One of the most famous regiments in the world, the Imperial Black Watch was formed in 1725 to keep peace in the Highlands. The Black Watch (RHR) of Canada was formed in 1862, during a time of tension between our country and the United States.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Devilwasp.....everyone had fixed bayonets 'Down South', trust me ......I was there.

Why do you have the 'Globe & Buster' as your phot/logo??

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Devilwasp.....everyone had fixed bayonets 'Down South', trust me ......I was there.

Why do you have the 'Globe & Buster' as your phot/logo??

yeah but thats the first time any one has done a charge at the enemy in british history since the falklands.
its not a globe and buster its a globe and laurel the badge of the royal marine comando's

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Yes...I'm well aware that its the cap badge of the Royal Marine Commandos. Just wondered why you have it when you have never served with them?

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Yes...I'm well aware that its the cap badge of the Royal Marine Commandos. Just wondered why you have it when you have never served with them?

i am planning on joining them.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Good for you....Have you completed a PRMC yet or are you waiting to go down to CTCRM?

Just so you know most Booties call it the 'Globe & Buster'

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Good for you....Have you completed a PRMC yet or are you waiting to go down to CTCRM?

Just so you know most Booties call it the 'Globe & Buster'

really? never heard it from the marines up here hmm mabye just specific units....
no i havnt im still in school,im actually debateing on ethier RN and doing the comando test or join the marines.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Only question is.....will they be wearing kilts?

I do recall reading about highlander regiments being pinned down during the Boer War, oddly enough, suffering from a heck of a sun burn on their legs. I imagine its bad enough to be scottish or on the high veld, but both? At noon? Ouch man, ouch.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Getting back to the thread.....the main problem the Black Watch will face is that they will simply be seen as soldiers. Out here a US soldier is classed as a target....simple as that. I think that it will take a while for the local population to realise that these guys are British Army. Sadly until this becomes widespread knowledge then there is every chance that the BW will take casulties.

However.....as I have said before.....the average Iraqi tends to like the British. This is mainly because Iraq was a Brit colony until 1932, with the British Army only pulling out in the late 1950's. Until Saddam came to power we were still sending British Army Training Teams (BATTs) to the country on a fairly regular basis.

So lets hope that the message that the Black Watch are British Army gets out on the streets ASAP

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join