It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you miss about the 80's???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Looking at your avvy,
I'd be waiting for the radical re-entry to elude that particularly gnarly noah's ark.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
The innocence as many have stated, I'm with darknewt, I liked my age better then too.
Most of all the music, looking back it was an extraordinary time for music.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

Icehouse! Now, they bring back memories!

Strange thing is: I never knew AC/DC was an Aussie band until about two years ago. As someone in the industry, i felt ashamed of myself

reply to post by InsideYourMind

Kim Wilde, too! Where are the "Cambodia" or "Kids in America" songs these days?!

Many will say "Cos you grew up in that time", BS. I love the 60's & 70's .. 90's and 2000's, but nothing can compare of the quality of the 80's [IMO]

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

The 80's were the best three years of my life!

What do you mean that there were ten?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Arcades, Pinball Machines, Atari, being a teenager and casual sex

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Having been born in 1970 the 80s were my biggest transitional years. From age 10 to age 20, I went from Jr High to my first 2 years of College, it was a decade of self expression and growth through one of the biggest shifts in both technology and entertainment as well as global arena. We went from simple over the air T.V. to cable and MTV, from 8 tacks to cassettes to floppy discs. We went from rotary dialed phones to push button to cell phones, from the Commador and Atari to the Apple IIe and the beginnings of the internet. We went from a Cold War of Communistic fear to the celebration of freedom and Democracy. In my opinion, the 80s were the last full decade of true self expression, the last decade of true originality as the 90s brought remakes and not much more than simply improving what we already had. The Rock rocked, the Rap popped, lol even Classical music had a beat. All of this I miss.

Having to pin it down to a few things I miss the most I would have to say, in agreement with a few of the posts before this one, the general connection and politeness of society. Sure there was crime but when you walked down the street and your yes met anothers there was a smile and a hello(sup, hey, whatever your flavor). I miss the basic honesty and courtesy among the general people. It seems to me the 90s brought an end to this common place and society became cold and withdrawn. I miss the Womans long and wavy hair styles, not so much the ever popular mullet and I'm not sure about the spandex pandemic lol. I miss the fact that things were made to last and were made of real materials(our cars were still made of steal) as the 90s brought us the disposable and the plastic(fake). I suppose we should have seen the World we live in coming with the beginnings of cooperate disregard to natural and public safety that began in the 80s(yes it existed prior but we didn't know it was a problem) with the blatant conscious dumping of chemicals into our water supplies to save a buck or two even after the effects became known.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The Niners continuously winning Superbowls.

CX

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I was a kid so.....i miss....

Being able to go down the local shops and buy a knife that would put croc dundee to shame....and we didn't want to stab each other either!

Building our bikes out of spare parts, not binning one if it gets a puncture like today.

Shooting anything and everything with my air rifle.

Seeing kids go out for the day through the woods with just their mates, a bucket and a fishing net., only returning if you had to go to hospital. These days if it doesn't have a screen, it's not entertainment.

Raleigh Chopper bikes, oh how i miss doing jumps over homemade ramps and nearly shearing of my nutsac on the gearstick every time.

No health and safety.

CX.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
The innocence as many have stated, I'm with darknewt, I liked my age better then too.

I think if I'm not mistaken the electronic synthesizer got smaller and everyone could afford them so maybe that's why music perhaps radically changed.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by r2d246

I was in my early teens still in the 80's. Like that's hard to top. 80's teen. lol

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by r2d246

I was in my early teens still in the 80's. Like that's hard to top. 80's teen. lol

Pups.
I was married twice and divorced once in the 80's.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246

Originally posted by Iamschist

I think if I'm not mistaken the electronic synthesizer got smaller and everyone could afford them so maybe that's why music perhaps radically changed.

I would not know about that, there were so many good bands and all in the rock genre, I don't think all of them could have been using synthesizers but I am ignorant of such things.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Ya I was born around the same time. Ya same, what a weird time. LOL oh my goodness! N kevin mitnick got 5 years in jail, 2 of which were in solitary confinemnet. Because TPTB were affriad that he could use a whistle and a pay phone to cause WW3.

That just goes to show how powerful the payphones use to be back in the 80's! Which is also why they got rid of most of them now a days. See.... now you know why lol

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

changed my mind
edit on 15-11-2012 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Members only jackets
Parachute pants
Hulk Hogan, Macho man Randy Savage
Pac-Man
Dig-Dug
MacGyver
A team
Manimal
Air Supply
Motley Crue

God, I could just keep going, I even collected M.A.S.K. toys for a short while. So many good things, I miss those days

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
what I remember:
- the Savings and Loan crisis (my Dad was so pissed)
- the Berlin wall coming down
- the space shuttle with the school teacher on it exploding and my teacher having a melt down after watching it live in class.
- having to actually pass "notes" in class about your "crush"
-jelly shoes weird as hell and hard to walk in
- jelly bangles all the way up my arm
- at least 4 swatch watches that no one else had
- cabbage patch MANIA
- folding my pants legs in at the bottom creating the pleat look (WTH)
- acid washed jeans
- parachute pants
- old school rap
- big hair bands
- metal bands
- new wave
- my fav PUNK rock hell yeah
- getting only 3 channels on tv cause Dad was too cheap to pay for cable
- making mix tapes ...best come on ever. "hey I'll make you a mix tape"
- recording MTV on VHS while babysitting
- having a 2 sided portable cassette player - it rocked
- bypassing the busy signal on my friend's phone with an "emergency break" by the operator - we didn't have call waiting
- learning to drive a "stick" shift pick up truck (manual)

and that's what I'm thinking up right now .... in a 1/2 an hour I'll think of 20 more

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The 80's are filled with great memories...

The music, the cars, the T&C forbidden subjects, falling in love, marrying, having kids, the great family of uncles and aunts, the parties, the freedom, the drive for success, the close friends, the happiness, really...

Miss it...miss it all...

~Son.

I also miss not having a beer belly...

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I miss that the bass was prevalent in many kinds of music, and the bass had melody.

I miss the clothes.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
- Tang
- Mary Lou Retton
- The Love Boat
- Gilligans Island
- Not being forced to pick up your dogs poop
- junk bonds
- Wacky stickers
- ronald ray gun
- Zits
- 7/11 hamburgers
- Mc donalds pizza
- Mad max beyond thunderdome
- The ewalks
- Commador 64
- the twin towers

edit on 16-11-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by gunshooter
Members only jackets
Parachute pants
Hulk Hogan, Macho man Randy Savage
Pac-Man
Dig-Dug
MacGyver
A team
Manimal
Air Supply
Motley Crue

God, I could just keep going, I even collected M.A.S.K. toys for a short while. So many good things, I miss those days

Dude, Air Supply? really?

Metallica!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join