It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The FBI Web Cam Control Virus / Ransom Ware

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Hi folks...

This is just a heads up...

I was freaking out when this happened to me...

This can happen in shady websites, like 4 chan, and others like...

So pretty much, when you click on the website address or a link... it will take you to a screen where it says you have been doing illegal activities and your computer is on locked down by FBI unless i pay 100 bucks. Now im usually aware of these scams but this one... THIS ONE TURNED ON MY WEBCAM(BY ITSELF) AND IM ON MY FRKIN BROWSER SCREEN.. looking like an idiot...Anyway, couple of seconds after, my anti virus started detecting multiple trojan virus attacks, and it seems they hijacked my webcam... and i was frking out that my shirtless body is going to be broadcasted all over the internet or some sick fudge has it....lol.

I also heard sometimes it records without showing it to you.

Cover, Tape, Unplug or Turn away and etc that Cam!

Source:FBI Money Pack Virus Info

Anyway Heads up.... it seems this virus was around before but resurfaced recently.
edit on 11/12/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing there is also mobile/cell phone virus trojans that can activate your cam and mic at any time. Be smart don't instal that fancy fun app without checking the permissions it requests (At least on android you can do that not sure about apple)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Just to add the usual missing fact into the mix..

The webcam is local. No one is looking at you. But people will rely on it scaring you and you'll cough up the cash. Nice trick.

A trick.

There used to be a trick years ago that on a webpage, if you clicked a button it would list the contents of your C:\ drive and people were freaking out how someone was able to hack their computer... but it was local only.

They're not the FBI so there is no real reason that anyone would need or want to be further burdened by having to code more than is required by having captured webcam media. If you're on 4chan and you get this and you panic...

lol

Now you will have to excuse me. I have to put bluetac over my living room window, I think the postman might be able to see who I am...

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I had this happen to me a while ago.
The lengths that these hackers go to make money is absolutely ridiculous.
If you were infact engaging in illegal activities the FBI would not announce themselves like that.
A group of heavily armed individuals would all pile out of that nice looking flower van across the street from your house and you'd be in cuffs within seconds.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Holidakd

I was not doing anything illegal, that's why i was assured that, there would be no way i will be in trouble, to top it off, it was the 4chan link(i should be smarter than click on it), the link took me to a i guess sex chat or w/e... those stupid adds you get... which popped multiple screen and one of them started my web cam, interesting enough, when i went back again thru that link it did not happen... so i'm assuming its one of those random pop up ads..

As a person who been surfing since 1997... this was the first time my webcam hijacked.

Hopefully people won;t be fooled into it.

Also once you get attacked, unhook your Ethernet wire and run malware detector and as well as anti-virus.
There are bunch of free program, and windows have a default one as well. If it stays in your computer it can still leak info and other unusual activities.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Ah, it good to know that the broadcast was local. Thats what made me panic.. i try to keep my picture out of the internet, even my Facebook page does not have my pic well heavily modified one.

posted on Apr, 19 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
You should ALWAYS have your camera turned away or tape over it when you are not using it.

If a hacker penetrates your computer and can not get at your password list or recover the password to say, your email, all they have to do is delete the cookie and wait for you to log in, recording what the camera sees as you type your password.

top topics

join