It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't be naive or careless when thinking you're doing the right thing during the holiday season

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I work for a nationalaly known department store, at one point it was considered the top dog, today it's layaway program is all that it has going for it. My job? Loss prevention. I also work in a city in Michigan that has more than once been named the most dangerous city in the country in the past decade. Needless to say we keep busy busting our shoplifters and trying our best to keep our store from losing even more money than they do by not investing into the chain or attempting to compete in any way with the bigger 2 chains.
Over time I've become very good at spotting someone who intends to steal, and race has nothing to do with it. I'm personally white and grew up in a surburb that was white and well off due to GM's strong presense at the time. Since my high school years GM has shut down many places of work and left a lot of people unemployed in the city. Needless to say I thought nothing could surprise me until today. Christmas music started playing the first day after Halloween, which I thought was utterly rediculous. Today we received our first Salvation Army bell ringer in front of our store. After my first two cigarette breaks I put a dollar in the red bucket and smiled at the cheerful attendant who was cheerfully upbeat and pleasant in the front of my store, saying "God bless you!". Made me feel like I did a good thing and happy there are people who are in it for not only money, but to help those in need this holiday season, when times have been harder than they have been in a very long time.
Not much later in the day it was apparently time for our bell ringer to have her lunch break. She decided to come inside where it was warm, take off her apron to get a little comfortable, and SHOP LIFT! I watched her on camera as she stole our merchandise. I was flabbergasted that this cheerful, God wishing, kind woman was just wearing the mask of a psychopath. She was quickly apprehended upon exit, I didn't feel guilty, just ashamed. We took her information, issued a civil demand and had to inform her employers who imediately terminated her and came to collect the bucket, apron and bell. But if we hadn't stopped her on this first day from stealing from the store in which she worked in, how much money would she have pocketed from the children and families who need it more than almost anyone in this country? My goal here today is NOT to say that you shouldn't donate anything you can spare to do so, but to be careful. The red buckets should all have a lock, put the money in yourself so the person who you think is a saint doesn't have a chance to steal it. Aside from this specific example, there are many ways people can pray on those who want to do good deeds, so just be mindful and careful with your donations this holiday season. and God bless you all!

***MOD EDIT***
Not an Introduction Thread
*Closing Thread*

The Introduction Forum is for introductions To tell something about you; not to start a thread about a topic.“Intro threads” that are really “topic threads” will be removed.
Welcome to ATS, it’s time to introduce yourself.

This area is solely for introducing yourself (as you can see by browsing through other Introduction threads by new members). We apologize for this inconvenience, but its a necessity for a website as large as ours. I've had to remove your entire post as it goes against our policies.

Strict code's like this are in place to help keep the machine 'running smoothly'. One of these policies is that members need to post their thoughts in the appropriate areas. I'm sure you'll understand the necessity for us having rules like this. It helps keep all the great threads and topics in their perspective areas of interest and not all lumped together, making it difficult to find when wanting to make additional comments.

You have posted what could be a very interesting topic in the "Introductions thread". With that said, I'm going to have to close this thread as it does not comply with the above stated rules. After you have managed to get 20 posts under your belt, start your own thread in one of the appropriate areas.

Thread closed, you can contact me by a private message for more information if needed after you have read the links provided above and in the final post below. Or you can also contact staff by alerting them here Complaints and Suggestions

Reaffirming ATS Policies ( Please Read )

Terms & Conditions Of Use ( Please read )
edit on 11/12/2012 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I see your new. A bit of friendly advice....
if you want people to read your post, consider spacing and paragraphs.

A big block of text deters a lot of ATSER'S

Also not posting in the introduction forum, anything but your intro as a mod will likely close your thread as you dont even have 20 posts yet.
edit on 12-11-2012 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bocaj417

Thanks for sharing your story. I shall heed your warning.

It's amazing how someone can change like that in an instant. I hope your not too discouraged though because there are still plenty of good people out there! =)

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Be sure to try out Ask ATS with any "search words" of your choice & you'll find numerous threads to add your thoughts to right now. Once you've achieved a minimum of 20 posts, you'll be able to create your own threads & additionally send out messages to fellow ATS members.

Here are some handy links to get you oriented into now becoming a valued member of ATS.

Reaffirming ATS Policies
Visit here next - ATS Freshmans Forum
Index of Important ATS Related Threads
Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First
Easy Way to Upload Your Pics & Avatar Graphics
Terms & Conditions Of Use (The complete and end all guide to our policies)

*** Keep your arms within the ride's comfort zone, have fun & help us "Deny Ignorance" ***
ATS at times is like a rollercoaster ride! Be aware if one acts in an uncivil-like manner, discusses personal illicit drug usage, uses profanity, is a troll, intentionally spreads a hoax, spam's, advertises and/or get's verbally abusive, they will be warned or removed off the ride by a Moderator. If you see posted any of the above mentioned, please let one of staff know by using the "Alert" function. This is for your safety, & for those both young and old on this ride with you.
**Thread Closed**

top topics

join