It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could vegetables do more damage than good?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I was just thinking that between the genetic modifications, the mass amounts of pesticides, along with the lower nutritional contents that we are all being screwed. I dont personally eat vegetables but I know people that do and they seem to be sick all the time and have less energy and focus than me. You hear about the minor things involving vegetables here and there but they are never discussed as a whole.

(my thoughts here exclude home grown and organic)

I get looked at like I'm crazy when I preach the fact that people are consuming genetically modified, pesticide soaked trash.

I havent eaten vegetables since I was 3 or 4 and I am not fat, I do not get sick, I have great blood pressure and a nice healthy heart. These things may just be coincidental seeing as most people that dont eat a lot of vegetables have a nutrition base of fast food and bacon. I eat home made and generally have a healthy lifestyle and do not believe that vegetables are necessary for a healthy life.

Just wondering how ya'll felt about that

edit on 11-11-2012 by lobotomizemecapin because: stuff and things

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

The other day I was thinking about vegetables; and wondering how the ones I eat are grown and if they have traces of arsenic in them; I have to admit it is a suspicion of mine.

I am wondering; do you eat organic fruit? Also...please give an example of your daily menu; what do you eat?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I have the opposite problem: I start to feel funky if I don't eat enough fruits and vegetables! I don't eat too many that are store bought though; the majority of the fruits and vegetables that I eat are organic and locally grown. I am fortunate to be close to many gardeners. We all supply each other.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I dont personally eat vegetables but I know people that do

sorry but that just about the funniest thing ive ever read.
ps. you should probably start eating vegtables

edit on 11-11-2012 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I see your point, and to an extent I believe it's very valid. You raise the question about genetically modified vegetables and pesticides. I think this in the long run will do more damage to us then anything else. But vegetables in themselves aren't bad.

I used to suffer from extreme and chronic lack of energy. I'd wake up tired, go to sleep exhausted. Getting out of bed in the mornings (the few I was able to muster) was a pain. I'd walk sideways. That's how tired I was. At this time, I ate a lot of meat. Steak, beef, ground beef, chicken etc. I still do, but not near as much as I did then. I eat primarily vegetables now (like salads or mixed vegetables steamed with seasoning) and I noticed that once I replaced the majority of meat in my diet I started getting "peppier".

Now, I eat meat once to twice a week depending. The other days vegetables. It's helped me greatly.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

They can do more damage if you consume GENETICALLY MODIFIED ones yes.

edit on 11-11-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Yay, I -love- your thread! I have hated vegetables. Nnnnnnever liked them. I constantly felt guilty, because, "Well the conventional wisdom (and Dr. Oz, etc.,) sayz I have got to eat veggies." But my own physiology always felt rejecting of those, never craving them. Don't our bodies know what they are doing? It's like the first time I consumed alcohol, my physiology said, "don't put that in me!"

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I eat lots of vegetables, I also eat very rare steak 3 - 4 days a week. I'm one of the healthiest physically fit people I know. I never get sick.

I think it mostly comes down to the individual and their physiology.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I do eat some organic fruits but not nearly as much as I should.

My daily deal is usually eggs for breakfast (if I eat breakfast at all), A chicken or roast beef sandwich for lunch on whole grain bread, And either 90+ lean ground beef, Chicken breast, Whole grain pasta, steak, etc. for dinner

I drink 100% juice and coffee throughout the day

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Vegetables are very important for nutrition and can solve starvation. They contain a vast array of compounds that can solve many problems with human physiology. This is basic science fact.

Many of the components of various vegetables can be used for medicinal purposes and can aids in releif of many ailments.

The disastrous advent of genetic modification technology and the overuse of primitive pesticide technologies cannot be used as a logical justification for the rejection the facts about how important these plants really are nutritionally.

Forgive me if I scoff at the general misleading tone this entire discussion is taking.
Sure avoid GM and toxic chemicals, but don't avoid all veggies plz.
edit on 11-11-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku

sorry but that just about the funniest thing ive ever read.
ps. you should probably start eating vegtables

edit on 11-11-2012 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

HAHAHA I didnt realize how silly that sounded till you pointed it out.

Thats probably a pretty sad isnt it?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The last time I was sick was in 2005. The time before that was 2001. I eat tons of veggies, fruit, nuts, beef, chicken, turkey.

Basically try to load my meals up with a little bit of every color of the rainbow and food type. No processed junk, no extra sugars.

It's really not too difficult to stay healthy. Just use common sense.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I wan't to know (or maybe not..) why my fellow humans (?) love the vegetable -ochra- . It frightens me. Reminds me of if you mixed a body snatcher alien pod, with a jellyfish. Or it could be like a dead but -green- small squid.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
It's not the meat specifically that leads to atrophy of the heart and cancer, but the poor fats. Saturated fats and worse yet, hydrogenated (trans) fats. Saturated fats are not bad for you in small doses, and can even have some beneficial properties. However, these fats will fill your arteries up with LDL cholesteral and will lower HDL.

OP, if you are relatively active and eat a diet that consist of more lean mean or meat that contains healthy, unsaturated fats, you will most likely be in good health compared to those that eat bad, fatty meats. However, I'd be interested in knowing your age. You could eat a diet that would be considered relatively unhealthy for at least a third or half your lifetime with the possibility of no damage.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saucerwench
I wan't to know (or maybe not..) why my fellow humans (?) love the vegetable -ochra- . It frightens me. Reminds me of if you mixed a body snatcher alien pod, with a jellyfish. Or it could be like a dead but -green- small squid.

Okra rocks in gumbo and is delicious battered in cornmeal and fried. It's also pretty good stewed with tomatoes. Those are the only ways I've ever eaten okra, but I've eaten it my whole life. It's a good vegetable to grow on low lying property where not a lot of vegetables will normally grow- okra likes swampy conditions and doesn't require a lot of work, just some cane poles to vine up on.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Since I have high cholesterol, the last time I had it checked I had eaten only rice and vegetables for a month before they took a blood sample. My cholesterol SPIKED 30 points!

That was a couple of years ago. I don't worry about it anymore. I eat what I want.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Each your dam veggies

Do the paleo diet. Meat and raw veggies. Yum

Or conversely you could be some kind of evolutionary step that can survive off ice creme.... Or not

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BaneOfQuo

Or conversely you could be some kind of evolutionary step that can survive off ice creme

Thats me! One giant leap for mankind, then!

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Glad I wasn't the only one that thought the above was hysterical.

How are you not eating vegetables? You're probably not as healthy as you think. What do you eat? Do you forgo fruits also? Just a pasta person? If you eat meat it's got more weirdness in it than vegetables. Ugh not eating vegetables is like not being able to see half the colors. Eat them, they make things better.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
With this being ATS and the title being..

Could vegetables do more damage than good?

I was thinking...

The creature is attacked by sled dogs and the scientists recover a severed arm. As the arm warms up, it ingests some of the dead dogs' blood covering it, and the hand begins moving.Seed pods are discovered in its palm, demonstrating that the creature is a form of plant life.

Carrington is convinced that the creature can be reasoned with and has much to teach them, but Dr. Chapman and the others disagree;the Air Force personnel believe the alien may be dangerous. Carrington deduces their visitor requires blood to survive and reproduce.
The Thing from Another World

or...

edit on 11-11-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join