It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to systematic hunt a cryptid?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Stunspot

If we are, as you say, "all in this together" then I suggest that you ease up with your message. As I have said before, I'm sorry for the poor use grammar and syntax. You come across as being arrogant and your tone is condescending to others and there is no place for that behavior on here. You say you are not consumed with internet conversation but you attitude and demeanor say something else. It's fine to be particular about whatever you choose but when you write posts using your "grammar nazi" tone you sound like an arrogant wonk! You provided your criticism of my work, this is my criticism of yours.

With that said... you are right. We all are in this together.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

ATS is a public internet forum; free and open to everyone harboring a desire to discuss the topic of their desire, at whatever level of complexity and finesse, or lack of it, they have the facility and acumen to muster.

Get over it.

If you want exclusivity, you may desire to spend more time on some other site that moderates for spelling and grammar, or launch your own.

Additional factors to consider, as pointed out by the OP, other than the mentioned English as a second or even third language; there's a variety of connectivity solutions with sundry interfaces from touch screens, phone texting, voice to text, small form factor netbooks with tiny keyboards, and the old standard of full sized keyboard input, all with their own input hazards/mistakes from typing too fast, auto-correct suggestion typing, and false input to name a few.

As said before, so long as the spirit of the post is clearly evident such it needs no real interpretation due confused meanings or some other lost in translation effect ... let it go.

These aren't journal articles or papers up for peer review in Lancet, or or high science as one might find at arxiv.org.

It's a public, free-use, open to everyone forum.

There's people here that actually believe they ARE aliens, among many other things.

Get over it.

Enjoy the site for what it has to offer with all its myriad foibles and eccentricities, high and low alike.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

All valid points.

As far as knowing the critter, you are right and that is part of the problem - we don't. So most good evidence or sightings we have I would attribute as much to pure luck than most anything else.

You and I both spend a good amount of time in the woods. You've not seen any sign of bigfoot. I've had 3 or occurrences in 20plus years I've attributed to BF. Those due to just luck of happening to be at the right place at right time rather than anything different I did those times or anything that I do that you don't.

So, that makes it really rough.

I would assume going in and making a bunch of noise (as they do on TV) for a few days and then bugging out is probably the best way not to spot one. If doing that spooks normal critters I can imagine it would spook BF too.

I do like the thought of going in quietly, setting up cameras where the data can be collected remotely and then leaving the area for long term (like a year).

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

It sure sounds like I got under your skin.

Mission accomplished!

Also, wanted to add you completely ignored the main point of my reply to you, be nice about it! Again, there are many better ways to point out/correct things in a post politely. I didn't argue any of those points you brought up again like a jackass, you just need to learn some manners.

Last, I want to apologize to the OP, I'm really sorry to have started things and derailed the topic here. There is just no excuse for bad manners and it irked me, so I had the call the guy out and troll him.

Successful troll is successful, right Stunspot?

edit on 12-11-2012 by deathlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHistorian

I think that Bigfoot is a fascinating subject.

Thousands of pieces of circumstantial evidence, footprints, strange calls/howls, tree knocking, blurry photos, eyewitness statements, videos etc over many decades of research and observation, and still no definite proof!

I hear that samples of hair from a Russian (Siberian) cave? have been identified as coming from an "unknown human-like" mammal? Very intriguing.

The FB (Finding Bigboot) guys, seem to be of the opinion that Bigfoot is related closely to humans, maybe a human ancestor? Very highly adapted to life in the forests and swamps, very VERY smart in its own environment - like "street smarts" but tuned into forest life rather than the city.

They are so hard to find because of that "smarts". They are much MUCH more aware than we are, in that setting. More tuned-in, and better evolved for forest life.

Most, if not all, of the video clips I've seen, show the Bigfoot observing the videographer. Peeking out from behind a tree, or slowly backing off from him. This backs up the theory that they are much more attuned to their environment than us. Not necessarily more intelligent than us, just better adapted there. More aware.

They hear us coming, smell us, see us, sense us before we find them. They are masters at hiding and observing, and probably make excellent hunters themselves.

It is even thought that they might be telepathic or have a sensory empathy with their surroundings. People getting close to a suspected Bigfoot often report sudden feelings of overwhelming "dread" even before becoming aware of anything else that might indicate a BF is actually there.

It is also said that their night vision is excellent, and that they may even be able to see into the Infra Red which enables them to avoid trail-cams.

How do we systematically track them? With great difficulty!!

I'm thinking... remotely, with satellite imagery maybe? (Turn Google Earth onto the forests!!!)

Nocturnally, if IR isn't any use... is there an alternative using UV maybe? (If they can see into IR, maybe they aren't so sensitive towards the other end of the spectrum?)
Or, how about using a more primitive trigger mechanism for the cameras (rather than IR), like hemp string trip-wires?
(Remember the movie PREDATOR? When they suspect that the alien can see their metal trip-wires and mines, they try using vines and ropes... )

There were many references to giant wildmen of the forests in native american stories and folk-lore. It might be worth studying these closely for clues as to how the native humans managed to get their info on the "giants"?

Whatever the answer, I suspect that it won't be easy!

GTD

PS - Forgot to add one of my favourite Bigfoot witness testimonies from BFRO's website -
BFRO witness report link

enjoy!
edit on 13-11-2012 by Gordi The Drummer because: To add link to witness report

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

"Street Smarts" or "Forest Smarts" is something very valid to consider.

Did you know that deer that is wise to the ways of the woods will often peek from cover at a tree stand to see if a hunter if is in it before coming out into the open? Its true - they will. Granted not all do, but the smart ones do.

So then you have to ask, "How much smarter than a deer is a BF?" Probably loads smarter. Another factor as you point out, we don't know how good their eyesight, vision, hearing and smell is.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I think that if you really want to hunt Bigfoot you need to go where the "berries" are. Berry picking is probably a big thing to bigfoots. In the book" Missing 411 east" there's lots of interesting stories on berry pickers (you really need to read the books.Missing 411 west and east - the books give all the locations for you).

I myself would get a group together (after reading those books you will not search alone lol no sir ree ) and stake out berry bush areas etc..

here is a recent story you probably heard ca.news.yahoo.com...

I really think theres something too this bigfoot thing its just having the time and money and where-with all to do a decent search..and I don't think yelling in the woods is gonna do it.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Interesting news story you provided. Is that book the one about all the missing people in national parks? I have been looking for the title of that book after reading a thread on ATS but I couldn't find the thread again.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHistorian

Yep, that's the one. Darn good reading. I got the books from www.nabigfootsearch.com...

I just started reading the" east US" last night. I read the "west US" and it blew my mind, its really good for research , lots of info. David Paulides put alot of hours into them books!

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

The problem I have with those books, though quite interesting with lots of room for speculation, I personally once or twice a year, trek it solo into the wilderness, sometimes for a week or two, and other times for a whole month.

I am alone, usually more, and hopefully much more than a hundred miles away, if not more from the nearest human being.

My goal is to get as far away from other people as possible and survive, on my own, with minimal provisions, with just what I'm carrying and what I can find, trap, dig up, or gather, to sustain me.

Never once in all the years i've been doing this extreme solo getting away have I ever seen or detected the slightest sign of anything that would indicate a bigfoot prsence, and, on several occasions I've been in remote areas that were reportedly bigfoot territory.

I'm not hunting bigfoot, but, when you recreation like I do, you get to know the wilderness in developing those forest smarts because if you don't, you can wind up as tasty vittles for cougar, bear, wolves, or just the worms and beetles when you injure yourself.

Some people like the idiot from Into The Wild, think they can traipse off into gentle mother nature and she will provide. Nope. It's not easy living off the land in the wild. You can starve to death very easily.
If there's food around, there's probably other things that have stomachs that are looking for it in addition to yourself, and/or things with stomachs stalking things with stomachs that are preoccupied with trying to fill their stomachs.

Berry bushes in the US are like African Plains watering holes. Lots of tasty animals like birds, from Turkey, to the common Grackle, deer, pigs, antelope, and any number of other herbivorous sorts visit these bushes, and a good predator, like cats (much smarter than you might think you think they are) will blind themselves away in wait for any sort of delicious berry loving animal to come along.

Cats, as a rule can take down, kill, and eat anything 3x their own weight.
Cougars can weigh in around 100 - 200lbs.
A single adult cat can thus effectively prey on anything in the upper range of 300-600lbs.

Cats are throat killers too. They make for pretty quiet killers when the prey can no longer breathe, or make noise, and they'll drag anything they like anywhere else they feel more comfortable.

People picking berries? Easy easy easy for a cat to GTA on a person and drive off into the deeper bush on silent feet with a mouth full of McDonalds fattened domesticated berry picking human to keep for awhile.

Does bigfoot exist?
Maybe.

I've never seen any sign of it, and I'm certain I've more experience and familiarity with the environment than these idiots that go running off into the forest to bang on trees, make calls, and psych themselves into a frenzy over something that they're entirely way too eager to believe in.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

That is impressive D, do you carry any tech with you like thermal cameras, night vision, infra red.... anything like that?

Have you ever had any experiences that you couldn't absolutely explain? I take it you reside in a tent during your expeditions?
I would be so creeped out I think I would need a small RV or small cabin, something with more protective value around me at night.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Lonewulph

I agree with you. The thought of going out into the remote wilderness by my lonesome seems scary at best, terrifying at worst. I think I would need a cabin or an RV as well, sleeping in a tent in that environment would cause me to lose a massive amount of sleep as I would be questioning every noise that I could hear. I guess one nice aspect of a trip like this is it would allow you unplug from the matrix for a time and give you a chance to be alone with you thoughts (the only time I get this now is when I lock myself in the bathroom).

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

What do you guys think of using so sort of high powered imagery satellite to monitor an area where there have been reported sightings? Possibly focus in on some large open areas possibly by a watering hole and just see what shows up. If these creatures are intelligent and could have the ability to recognize a trail camera or some other sort of camera as foreign they would probably make an effort to avoid that area, anything out of place might trigger some sort of survival mechanism in the creature to move on from the area. Just a thought. There has to be a way to utlize our technology to gain the upper hand in finding out if these creates exist.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

...Berry bushes in the US are like African Plains watering holes. Lots of tasty animals like birds, from Turkey, to the common Grackle, deer, pigs, antelope, and any number of other herbivorous sorts visit these bushes, and a good predator, like cats (much smarter than you might think you think they are) will blind themselves away in wait for any sort of delicious berry loving animal to come along....

I totally agree with that. It would make a huge deal of sense for any well adapted forest animal to be attracted to the berry bushes. Both herbivore - for the fruit, and carnivore - for the meat!
GTD

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheHistorian

What do you guys think of using so sort of high powered imagery satellite to monitor an area where there have been reported sightings? Possibly focus in on some large open areas possibly by a watering hole and just see what shows up. If these creatures are intelligent and could have the ability to recognize a trail camera or some other sort of camera as foreign they would probably make an effort to avoid that area, anything out of place might trigger some sort of survival mechanism in the creature to move on from the area. Just a thought. There has to be a way to utlize our technology to gain the upper hand in finding out if these creates exist.

Yep! That's exactly the sort of point I was trying to put across in my earlier post. They reputedly have the forest "smarts" so we would have to out-smart them in other ways to gain the upper hand in terms of tracking and obtaining clear proof of their existence. High powered imagery from satellite mounted cameras would be a possibility (though prohibitively expensive and a bit "hit or miss"), My preference would probably be to employ different materials in the manufacture of remote sensing camera equipment,
Avoid using metals, plastics etc and try utilising materials that are more naturally occurring...
Wooden cases for the cameras? Bark coverings? Natural hemp string trip-wire triggers? Hidden pressure-pad triggers?
Basically, avoid using modern hi-tech that's "out of place" in the forests, because the BF with his forest smarts may well be able to recognise all of that from a mile away, and naturally avoid it.

GTD

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lonewulph

That is impressive D, do you carry any tech with you like thermal cameras, night vision, infra red.... anything like that?

Have you ever had any experiences that you couldn't absolutely explain? I take it you reside in a tent during your expeditions?
I would be so creeped out I think I would need a small RV or small cabin, something with more protective value around me at night.

The wilds are both less, and more dangerous than you would think.
A wood tick,, spider bite. wasp stings, and such can take you down, or infection from a minor scrape sends you into debilitating hallucinating fever for instance, while you can come face to face, a mere 10 or 15 feet from a massive 400lbs black bear, blink at each other and part ways without incident or bother.
At the same time, the bear could also kill you and nomomnom on your civilized crunchy bones. They're omnivores and are happy with berries, grasses, fruits, roots and such as they are with meat.

Most of the stuff that you think you might think you have to worry about tends to leave you alone. It's usually the small stuff, region and season depending, that will get you.

I sleep on the ground, out in the open, beneath the stars, with no tent, or I go elevated and safe up in the branches of an old oak or some other tree.

You have to be picky about what you take, because you have to carry it, and the more you try to take, the heavier a load you're burdened with, slowing you down and forcing your dependence on things you don't need.

I keep a camera, sat phone, and GPS as far as tech goes. Never underestimate your own stupidity. over confidence, and ignorance to get yourself into trouble, so, I keep a way to call for help if need requires.
I've a little netbook, and a roll up solar cell for recharge too, but that's about it.

Hard copy paper field guides on regional/seasonal edible/medicinal wild plants and other light weight knowledge and products of modern industry like near unbreakable spiderwire fishing line for snares and such, a roll of duct tape (good for injuries), are other 'tech' I take along, but nothing of the sort that's typically part of the regular family friendly, drive in, domesticated outdoor experience most people think of.

If you can drive to it, then, I won't be there.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The accounts in the two volumes of Missing 411 east/west take into account possible bear/cat/crazy people/stalkers etc.. attacks and murders and abductions by all thoses and more etc...What David(x-cop and detective, investigator retired) tried to list (the cases in the books) are some of the most bizzare
. Example in a nut shell: A little girl missing for a couple of days, found in a place far away alive, said, "she was picked up by a big dog that played with her...it first put out its paw and took her hand and then walked her away then took her in its arms and carried her away (she was ok but had one shoe missing-almost all cases had one she missing) she was found in a sort of nest..and ask where her other shoe was..she said the big dog ate it.

Another where 3 kids where missing and later found miles away up a steep mountain..when asked by one of the search and rescue members "why didn't you speak up when we where all yelling for you? "One of the 3 kids 7 yr. old male said; "we thought you might be the "gorilla people", the 3 kids were found in a crude shelter under "an old big tree".

The cases (he used the FOIA on lots, because of trouble getting case reports from forest service and such) all have links that are so weird it just makes your jaw drop. one shoe missing, cloths removed, found near or in a dry rocky creek bed (where no foot prints can be seen) search dogs refuse to follow, major storm or rain soon after abduction or when person(s) goes missing. People found too far away or in areas way up and away. On and on and on.

edit on 15-11-2012 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Very impressive.
You could start your own survivalist/exploration reality show, something akin to Les of "Survivor Man".
I bet you've collected some interesting photography and a few, 'wow that was a close one', stories.
You're living the life I hope to in about 6 months. I feel a distinct calling to it beginning when I competed in a survival competition in Germany during my stint in the military. I know I'll be fine carrying a small tent with me however.

I would very much enjoy setting out on the whole cryptid hunts as well, but by what I gather from your observations, I would have better luck finding a unicorn, bummer.

edit on 15-11-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join