It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kruger faces fatal anthrax outbreak

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Kruger faces fatal anthrax outbreak

www.iol.co.za

KwaZulu-Natal - A serious outbreak of the highly contagious wildlife disease anthrax has wiped out nearly 50 percent of the rare roan antelope population and scores of hippos in the Kruger National Park.

This is the eighth major outbreak of the disease since the early 1960s in the country’s flagship national park.

SA National Parks confirmed this week that 30 dead hippos had been found in the Letaba and Olifants rivers over the past two weeks. Post-mortem examination results from some of the carcasses suggested they were infected with the anthrax bacteria.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.news24.com
health.zaplurk.com

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Looks like there is a serious outbreak of Anthrax In Kruger National Park. The scientists seem to think its part of a 10 year cycle. Which im entitled to believe given the disease is spread by Vulture and as the watering holes dwindle the concentration of animal drinking and defecating in the same location bacterial out breaks are bound to happen. Still its not something to be taken lightly either, Apparently the "Authorities" are monitoring the situation. I just hope this doesnt get out of hand.

The last thing I want to see is the nut cutters club say "See we told you so."

www.iol.co.za
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Oh God! Thats dreadful news!
The world is loosing enough species to poaching, loss of habitat, and so on as it is. Although of course, as the article points out, this Anthrax appearance seems to be part of a decade cycle, so perhaps this is just a natural population cap for those animals that are struck with it.

Still, it is of great concern. I hope this doesnt spread out!

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I know that during the apartheid days, the government would place anthrax as a bio weapon along trails walked by blacks in the hope of infecting them with it.
Anthrax lives an incredibly long time, and is very stable when in the ground, they used to cover standing grass stalks with spores, eventually the grass dies and the spores end up on the ground.
Africa is going to have problems with anthrax for many many years to come.

PDF of anthrax being used in the zimbabwe rhodesia war

edit on 10-11-2012 by The X because: (no reason given)

Project coast video germ weapons africas dr death

Here is the Documentary "Anthrax Wars" for those who are interested in the diseases capabilities.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
The world is loosing enough species to poaching, loss of habitat, and so on as it is. Although of course, as the article points out, this Anthrax appearance seems to be part of a decade cycle, so perhaps this is just a natural population cap for those animals that are struck with it.

Yeah its absolutely not a good thing. Given all the other environmental things taking out wild animals like you mentioned it will certainly put a strain on the species effected.

I just hope they contain this although I dont know how easily this can be transmuted to humans.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

Originally posted by TrueBrit

Yeah its absolutely not a good thing. Given all the other environmental things taking out wild animals like you mentioned it will certainly put a strain on the species effected.

I just hope they contain this although I dont know how easily this can be transmuted to humans.

Very easily transmitted to humans, any sort of ingestion of the spores will create an infection, it is highly zoonotic.
A cut or scratch, breathing the spores in, you can carry and transmit spores to others who have cuts or scratches, highly virulent, and if it is one of the bio weaponised strains, high mortality rate and easily infectious.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Anthrax can be contracted by a person who has come into contact with infected animals or thier bodies. It cannot be passed directly between humans, but the spores can remain viable for a long time, which is why it is such a dangerous biological agent.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by The X
I know that during the apartheid days, the government would place anthrax as a bio weapon along trails walked by blacks in the hope of infecting them with it.
Anthrax lives an incredibly long time, and is very stable when in the ground, they used to cover standing grass stalks with spores, eventually the grass dies and the spores end up on the ground.
Africa is going to have problems with anthrax for many many years to come.

PDF of anthrax being used in the zimbabwe rhodesia war

Project coast video germ weapons africas dr death

Well that certainly is very interesting information. I haven't had a chance to check out the links but it doesn't surprise me in the least. Governments can be very persuasive when it comes to genocide.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I find it most interesting that Dr david kelly was involved with africas Dr Death, Dr death was the only person at the truth and reconciliation commision to be charged with genocide, never gave any evidence whatsoever and walked away a free man without saying a word about his research.
He also states he has "Problems with the UK and US governments".

He also said that the bio weapons materials he had were flown offshore over the open ocean and then at a pre configured point, dumped into the ocean from the aircraft, i have wondered if a submarine was there to collect it.
The Bush family and their Nazi sypathies would be a sympathetic friend to the apartheid regime, i can't see those guys letting an opportunity to receive a countries ENTIRE bio weapons stock go by without jumping at it.
Straight into a privately owned black project, perfect for future terrorist actions, the thought is incredibly ugly.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by The X

the thought is incredibly ugly.

Indeed.

I only recently discovered bush sr was involved with the iran contra scandal. Again it sounds like something they are capable of. Although I would guess the bio weapons have long been sold to the highest bidder. Georgy boy has a nasty coke habit he picked up from days when daddy used to fly the stuff in from South America.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Given the subject of this thread I think you may get some insight into the world of infectious diseases, and the threat they pose to the world of today, from a speech I gave at a small church in Helen Georgia. Here is the introduction to the speech with a link to the entire transcript following...

Introduction

The bible only states that we are facing massive plagues in the days leading up to the end times and during the tribulation period, but does not specify exactly where they will originate. They could come out of nature as an emerging disease or they could be a newly mutated form of an existing disease. Another possibility is that they could be the result of biological warfare or bio terrorism. And there is always the possibility that two or more of the above possibilities could be the source of multiple outbreaks. This speech is intended to give you a better understanding of the various types of infectious agents and how they could originate and spread. The bible is fairly clear as to what will happen, however a better understanding of the various forms of disease, and the infectious agents that cause them, may help a believing Christian be better prepared to deal with the threats they present to us and our families.

Read the full transcript HERE

Be patient, the site can be somewhat slow loading on weekends.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Maybe you should add National Park to your title.

I can't be the only one who - at a glance - read "Kroger" and nearly spit my coffee, that I bought from Kroger.

More on topic:

it can be considered a "natural regulator" of animal densities. The current outbreak has seen relatively low numbers of cases in relation to population sizes of species affected.

It's so pathetic that there is such environmental pressure on wild life that even something naturally occurring like this can decimate the already fragile populations.

I guess this sort of thing will also be more common with climate change...

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by The X

Thank you ever so much for posting the videos you provided. I agree that the connections between these big figures in bio-warfare are very interesting. As a result I found the videos absolutely fascinating.

Of course, Anthrax is a naturally occuring bio-agent, so theres every indication that this is just an fortunate incident.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Natural anthrax is found in the dirt. It can go into a spore stage that can endure long term drought. But when kicked up and inhaled, or lands on an open sore, it can become active. As a general rule if you display symptoms of anthrax it is already too late for effective treatment.

Weaponized anthrax is treated to be easier to disperse in the air and genetically modified to be more virulent, and thus more deadly.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Yeah.. aparantly quite alot of the work they did on making it more dangerous, involved reducing its particle size so that it is more easily taken into the lungs... Pretty vile and bastardly really.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Yeah, Anthrax is no joke for sure. If it is happening every ten years then there should be a way to predict about when it will happen and take steps in breeding to reduce the effect of a outbreak. It is a national park after all and tracking of the animals should not be all that hard.

Steps can be taken to increase breeding a few generations before the next outbreak is expected to happen. Also, by way of tracking, the overall health of the animals can be monitored and improved.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Just because this is a naturally occurring cycle does not mean that this cannot get out of control or that people with nefarious goals cant use this to further their agenda. We need to keep an eye on this situation and make sure it doesnt spread to human or other locations.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
My left arm only stopped itching on rare occasion due to US dod regs putting shots of anthrax defense into us US service folks.

Has not swelled up in years but it was a persistant irritation that produced lumps for each series or something along those lines.

They miraculously stopped after the US gov sent the ship to fark with me.

And hell why not mention that I was moved off the site seconds after I posted this with unusual occurence.
edit on 11-11-2012 by tekeen because: (no reason given)

eggs in one basket well engineered but what then.

there asswipes read and weep.
edit on 11-11-2012 by tekeen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tekeen

I'm not following. Can you please elaborate. Are you saying you are on a base and you were moved because you posted on this thread?

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
As if all the poachers spurred on by Chinese demand wasn't bad enough...

Africa looks to be making a beeline for desolation with respect to its wildlife.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join