It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall Street campaigners buy-up debt to abolish it

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
And God says "Judge not, Lest ye be Judged yourself" I find that this is a very good rule to live by even if I am not xtian. You all think you're the epitome of perfection? If you were you wouldn't be human, you'd be a cat or soemthing.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I don't mind being judged. meow.

edit on 11-11-2012 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by cornucopia

It really is awesome. I also heard they are helping feed, clothe and care for Sandy victims. From NY, I've always been a fan and sorry I couldn't join them on WS!

YES and last night local news covered this, now that's a giant bowl a awesomeness!!! They got positive media coverage who'd have thought. BTW it was Tampa 9 news, so IDK if they r left or right leaning as it's totally local.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

I can't afford to share,I try to help someone else because I am surely fuct.

If I can't get out of my own predicament,I try to help someone else get out of theirs.

If one cannot help one's self,help someone else.

I've been homeless since 2004,and getting pretty good at it.

... And if true, you probably live a more interesting life than most people on this forum.

Secondly, if the SHTF, you will probably out survive 'preppers' with all of their fancy stuff and no experience on how to live or use their 'stuff' properly.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaberz

All good suggestions which I will think about for the future. I have wanted to tell my bank to stick it for sometime now so a transition may be in the works for the future. Thanks for the considered and thoughtful reply.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I support this and think it is a very good idea indeed. So many people have been enslaved by the banks all because millions of people were sold bad loans on homes which in the long run they will never be able to pay off. A lot of people out there really do need a helping hand.

Millions of Americans were told everything would be fine when it was far from the truth. There are a lot hard working people who simply do not know a lot about taking a loan on a home. They simply just sign where the bank says sign and do whatever the bank tells them. They just wanted a home and did not care what they had to do in order to have a warm nice home to come to everyday.

The banks took advantage of these people and it is not right at all. Buy up the debt and cancel it all. Great idea!

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

You do realize these are private citizens who are choosing to help out other citizens. Nobody is rewarding anyone. Gifts are being given from private party A to private party B. Your opinion is of no importance, the individuals buying others debt are choosing to do so. Just like you made the personal choice to go into a field that pays jack squat. You seem to be all about personal responsibility why don't you take personal responsibility for the choice of going into a field that is not financially rewarding. If you want all these things you are complaining about not being able to afford you should make more money instead of complaining about others getting charitable assistance from private citizens choosing to do something kind. Even the most right wing individuals will have no problem with this because it is private citizens making a choice with their own funds. This is the essence of capitalism, the freedom of individuals to what they wish with the fruits of their labor. I think you are confusing government handouts with private citizens helping one another. Using your logic we should all be able to complain that you received free legal advice. This would be silly though because your family and friends who are attorneys choose to donate to you out of their own free will.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by jcrockva

You do realize these are private citizens who are choosing to help out other citizens. Nobody is rewarding anyone. Gifts are being given from private party A to private party B. Your opinion is of no importance, the individuals buying others debt are choosing to do so. Just like you made the personal choice to go into a field that pays jack squat. You seem to be all about personal responsibility why don't you take personal responsibility for the choice of going into a field that is not financially rewarding. If you want all these things you are complaining about not being able to afford you should make more money instead of complaining about others getting charitable assistance from private citizens choosing to do something kind. Even the most right wing individuals will have no problem with this because it is private citizens making a choice with their own funds. This is the essence of capitalism, the freedom of individuals to what they wish with the fruits of their labor. I think you are confusing government handouts with private citizens helping one another. Using your logic we should all be able to complain that you received free legal advice. This would be silly though because your family and friends who are attorneys choose to donate to you out of their own free will.

I do believe a lot of problems people are having with this is the big ol' problem they say liberals have *SCOFF* that they are mad and throwing tantrums because other people are getting money an they aren't....they feel they are more deserving, nay, even entitled to other's money because they are "Responsible" ***SCOFF**** yet in their eyes these are not deserving people because they deem them Irresponsible...lol it's another form of tool envy...if you ask me...that's my $.02.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by cornucopia

bail out the people, by the people.

that is so awesome!

thank you so much, thank you

although i would prefer banks choose on their freewill to do the right thing or have governments force them too as they should not see any more money, this is so awesome though..

i would also like to see the federal reserve/for-profit banking system be abolished, asap

thank you

www.telegra ph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

True, true. As I understand it...not many years ago a provision in FICA Laws that SAVINGS Banks could not also dabble in "speculative banking" (since the money they play with is not there's to lose) was dismantled or removed. What was once seen as a conflict of interest was de-regulated.
(see smoosh Economy in the Reagan Era)
This de-regulation over time, resulted in the Banking collapse and subsequent need for a bailout.

Banking is among the oldest professions. I forget who the money lender were but it was some religious position a knight of some sort - and they have never subsided in wielding the most supreme and absolute power.

As bad as the Fed is...if you get rid of it you will have to stop banking.
Prior to the Fed banks failed and investors had no guarantee they'd see their money again.

I could give up banking but for the many conveniences it offers like drive through, auto-pay and debit card purchases so you don't need to carry cash.
I might leave banking one day but it would require an enormous lifestyle change.
It would severely impair my ability to consume items mfg in the USA and affect those mfg.
It would severely jeopardize my JOB AS A CONSUMER.

And isn't that what keeps this country on its feet? People buying crap.

your job is being a consumer?

lol

think about that...

life is not about stuff, you can't take that to the other side when you leave this world...

life is about learning to love, rising in cosciousness, etc.,etc.

remember?

BILL HICKS LAST PERFORMANCE (5 OF 8)
American culture, American politics, current events, pop culture, human sexuality, philosophy, religion, spirituality, recreational drug use, conspiracy theories, consumerism

www.youtube.com...

edit on 11-11-2012 by cornucopia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
IMHO it's an honorable attempt, but in most cases, it's like digging a hole in water. I just don't have faith that all bailed out persons won't re-sink themselves in short order. I have lost faith in more than half of the world's population.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Do you know what sarcasm is or did you just get here?

Our nation is set up on the basis of free market capitalism and that alone is supposed to drive the country toward success. If you listen to pundits - constraints on the free market are our only problem. Just let people make stuff and consumers buy stuff and we can buy our way to economic solvency and happiness. I guess you never heard that bedtime story. Not a republican?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

It would be impossible really to quote chapter and verse...as the whole entire book is about rebuilding Jerusalem and it's people and how he did that. It's not just one chapter or one verse, you would really need to read the entire Book, which is not many chapters at all to get the full understanding of what he did and how his concepts could make a huge change right here in American modern day. It's a book in the OT, The order of books is as follows:

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deut, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, Samuel, 2nd Samuel, Kings, 2nd Kings, Chronicles, 2nd Chronicles, Ezra, and then Nehemiah. It's a very short book, which is probably why many end up passing over it if they are not big bible readers (start to finish)

By no loans..what I meant was....after we buy up the debt, and pay it off..teach the people to not take out any more loans on things they don't need, nor can afford. See, When Nehemiah had rebuilt Jerusalem and bought off all the debt of the people and returned their land to them, he then went back to his King to live once again there with the King. A few years later he went back to Jerusalem only to find that once again the people were mortgaging their homes and land, using the temple for money and trading, etc. He became angry (as Jesus did in the NT) cleaned everything out again and then told the people... no more loans, no more interest, you buy what you need with cash, and basically..if you don't need it, and can't afford it..you don't buy it. Thats what I meant by no loans. We need to teach people not just bail them out.

But yes, that is what it's going to take. The American people..we can no longer rely nor depend on our government. We have to rely on ourselves to fix things.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

How much would it take to buy up $20m in debt going at pennies on the dollar?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomwv

I was in this predicament about 7 years ago. A bank gave me a huge smile, a pat on the back, handed me a fat cigar, and said: "Sir, acording to my program," as I sat on the dark side of her laptop, "you can afford that home!" I was skeptical. I grew up in a tough town, I learned about "people" as a young man. The night before we were to sign on the dotted line, I grabbed my calculator, and ran down some basic "life numbers", by the month...groceries, lunches, gas, insurance, taxes.....then I looked at the payments they proposed. I came up way short. Obviously, they were going to bury me and didn't care.

I used basic math that I learned in elementary school; not calculus, not geometry, not rocket science, or black magic. It saved my ass.

Now, if I had failed to take that step, I would be in a MUCH worse position right now. Does the fact that I can add and subtract, because I paid attention in school (barely), make me less eligable for pity and coddling?

So because I am dipping into retirement funds now to keep going (layoffs), BUT I know my basic math, and can squeak out my payments, I am fine, "Let that guy swim on his own. He has a half a swimmy on his arm. He paid attention in 4th grade. Tell him to grab the other guy that has an Escalade tied around his leg."

pffft.

Having said that, lol, I agree that the problem created by the banks, apparently will not get fixed by banks, and the creative ideas are certainly a breath of fresh air.
edit on 11-11-2012 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

When I was growing up, you got rewarded for doing things correctly.

You really still think that?

Really?!?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

When I was growing up, you got rewarded for doing things correctly.

You really still think that?

Really?!?

I don't need to think it. I lived it.
Growing up I got rewards for excelling or for good behavior. And I also got punished for stupid things I did.
It was much the same for friends. It seemed much the same in regards to the real world.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Hmm. Could you please define "reward," "good behavior," "punishment" and "stupid" - and show that your experiences were not just crass manipulation and/or rudimentary programming?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

He is saying many shouldnt NEED help if they were responsible with their finances in the first place.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Hmm. Could you please define "reward," "good behavior," "punishment" and "stupid" - and show that your experiences were not just crass manipulation and/or rudimentary programming?

I certainly could, as well as provide anecdotes from my life. But I will not.
I have apologized already for this thread being derailed, in regards to becoming about me (ish).
I have stated the point that I do not like the idea of rewarding irresponsible people.
If you would like to debate the topic at hand in this thread, I am all for it.
If you would like to argue the meanings of well established English words, at the very least U2U me, rather than bring this thread further away from the OP's point.
I look forward to hearing from you outside of this thread.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Do you know what sarcasm is or did you just get here?

Our nation is set up on the basis of free market capitalism and that alone is supposed to drive the country toward success. If you listen to pundits - constraints on the free market are our only problem. Just let people make stuff and consumers buy stuff and we can buy our way to economic solvency and happiness. I guess you never heard that bedtime story. Not a republican?

constraints on free markets are the only thing left to uncontrollable greed and the completed mission of only having a rich and a poor class of people, that is the republican mission.

sorry, sarcasm does not come through well with words typed on a computer screen, next time try to make it more obvious with a lol or something....lol

no i'm not a republican, i have known since a teenager that republicans are for the rich

buy our way to happiness? LOL
there you go again...

lol

you must be a hot chick on rodeo drive, you liek the latest hand bag and matching high heels?

edit on 11-11-2012 by cornucopia because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join