Occupy Wall Street campaigners buy-up debt to abolish it

page: 5
50
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by knightrider078
 


I was not a fan of Occupy Wall Street this is the type of stuff they should have been doing . Not trashing public parks and all that crap

All that crap? The plan was to occupy wall street. The problem was the occupiers organized on the internet beforehand and passed out flyers and stuff announcing when and where they would begin occupying the building.

So the police got there first with hundreds of cops and OWS was forced to abandon the effort. Then they ended up occupying parks which really didn't amount to much of a protest. How could it? The parks weren't supposed to be the focus of the protest. Mainstream America didn't get that part of it. So the whole thing kind of fizzled after that.

Where were you?




posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I said This is the type of stuff they should have been doing helping each other out not bull S---- for a month in a park not doing anything



Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by knightrider078
 


Looks like they're getting something done now.

First it was anger and civil disobedience now they're using their intellect to beat the system...so now why you crying? Is it because you begrudge them for being smarter than you? or is it that now you have nothing to pick on them about?

ETA: Whaaaaa Occupy is starting to make sense, Whaaaaaa I can't find anything to pick at whaaaaaa
edit on 10-11-2012 by ldyserenity because: lol add
edit on 10-11-2012 by knightrider078 because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme
 


I respectfully disagree...

If private citizens want to aid someone with cash it is there business... It is not that bad an idea either...


all the loans were bad and should not have been made


people did buy more then they could afford... the reckless spending and bad planning should not be encouraged...


However the communities should come together and help each other... it is a good idea to save america and help our fellow americans



posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by knightrider078
 

OWS succeeded brilliantly. The reaction by the authorities showed their true colors. One more sure sign we are devolving into a police state. That should have been plain for even you to see.



posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme
 


Its called forgiveness.
It is good for people to learn from their mistakes but theres also a very potent transformative power in simply being forgiven.



posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
reply to post by randomtangentsrme
 


you didn't read my link did you... Please read and learn or at least listen to this www.freedomsphoenix.com...


Yes, I did read your link. Private citizens are buying debt for pennies on the dollar, and cancelling said debt so people do not learn from their mistakes.
I could not listen to Mr. Aitkins however. Who is he? A web search returns with the link you provided, an e-blogger marketing consultant who tells people not to advertise, and an author.



posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme
 


I pity you. You are exactly what I used to be. I hope you do not have to go through what I did to learn how wrong you are. I really mean that. Losing all you worked for years of working, 10-12 hours a day 5-7 days a week, for years, and getting all that snatched from you...... It is a really nasty feeling, I do not wish on my worst enemies. But it might be a lesson that you can only learn by living it. Empathy seems to be gone these days.
edit on Sat, 10 Nov 2012 20:22:59 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
Awesome. Another way for people who were not responsible with money to be rewarded for their ineptitude.
When I was growing up, you got rewarded for doing things correctly.

Hey world, where's my bailout for having no public debt, and deciding to live within my means?


Yeah, all debts are valid right? Banks never do any wrong. and me not doing anything about a bill i got for something i never owed makes it all my fault, right? And its ok when a bank charges you a late fee that puts you over your limit and then charges you an over limit fee right?


Sure it's your fault for not doing anything while being wrongly billed for something. I have had to clear up incorrect bills in the past. It's a pain sometimes, but that's part of the world we live in.
I do not like the tricks that banks do, and I am not a huge fan of banks in general. I think it was wrong that they got bailed out. Just as I think it's wrong for this company to bail out individuals.



posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
reply to post by cornucopia
 


Why? Because I cannot afford to. I work in the arts.
A good year for me is $30,000. An average year is $20,000. My best year has been $50,000. I live in California, so this is not a lot of money.

So again I ask, why reward those who were not responsible with their money?



Are you saying "misery loves company"?

Why is what the OP describes more offensive to you than the practice of selling these charged off debts to opportunistic bottom feeding debt buyers who then go out and multiply the misery of your fellow citizens who "owe" those debts? These debt buyer parasites feed off of others' misfortune. They add nothing to the economy. They impair the debtors' ability to contribute to the economy by taking away money which could be better used in the stream of commerce (buying stuff), supporting themselves and their family and friends. Time is lost and anguish is inflicted by the parasites' demands for payment in full with interest, penalties, lawyer fees, and more, by those who only paid pennies on the dollar. This onslaught of misery destroys peace of mind, increases distress, destroys relationships, increases family disharmony, divorce, and is a factor leading some to suicide.
edit on 11/10/2012 by dubiousone because: Toned down the rant.



posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ripcontrol
reply to post by randomtangentsrme
 


I respectfully disagree...

If private citizens want to aid someone with cash it is there business... It is not that bad an idea either...


all the loans were bad and should not have been made


people did buy more then they could afford... the reckless spending and bad planning should not be encouraged...


However the communities should come together and help each other... it is a good idea to save america and help our fellow americans


A few people have made the point of private citizens can do what they wish with their own funds. And you are all correct.
I thought about this thread all day today at work. And I do see the positive of this idea. However, I still am concerned about the ramifications resulting from rewarding those that have done nothing to earn it.



posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by randomtangentsrme
 


I pity you. You are exactly what I used to be. I hope you do not have to go through what I did to learn how wrong you are. I really mean that. Losing all you worked for years of working, 10-12 hours a day 5-7 days a week, for years, and getting all that snatched from you...... It is a really nasty feeling, I do not wish on my worst enemies. But it might be a lesson that you can only learn by living it. Empathy seems to be gone these days.
edit on Sat, 10 Nov 2012 20:22:59 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)


Thank you, but you can save your pity. With the exception of working for myself and owning a home at the time, I did go through that. 10-12 hour days often for 25 days straight, on call 24/7, having my salaried paychecks bounce because the company didn't have the money.
Perhaps that was why I sounded as I did last night.

I do need to thank you for an earlier post of yours. You made it abundantly clear to me not everyone who lost something was irresponsible.



posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
reply to post by cornucopia
 


Why? Because I cannot afford to. I work in the arts.
A good year for me is $30,000. An average year is $20,000. My best year has been $50,000. I live in California, so this is not a lot of money.

So again I ask, why reward those who were not responsible with their money?



Are you saying "misery loves company"?

Why is what the OP describes more offensive to you than the practice of selling these charged off debts to opportunistic bottom feeding debt buyers who then go out and multiply the misery of your fellow citizens who "owe" those debts? These debt buyer parasites feed off of others' misfortune. They add nothing to the economy. They impair the debtors' ability to contribute to the economy by taking away money which could be better used in the stream of commerce (buying stuff), supporting themselves and their family and friends. Time is lost and anguish is inflicted by the parasites' demands for payment in full with interest, penalties, lawyer fees, and more, by those who only paid pennies on the dollar. This onslaught of misery destroys peace of mind, increases distress, destroys relationships, increases family disharmony, divorce, and is a factor leading some to suicide.
edit on 11/10/2012 by dubiousone because: Toned down the rant.


You are absolutely correct in what you describe.
However, some people choose to put themselves in debt. I cannot feel sympathy for someone who spends and spends, and then cries help me. That is what I find (as you put it) offensive.



posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme
 


Anecdotal experience don't usually count for much. Most people just ignore it. For my experience in the tristate, everyone I know worked for years before taking out a mortgage. For us it was a tried and true method. Buy a house you can afford, renovate the hell out of it, then after 10-12 years of busting your ass, you will make good money. That was our plan, my partner was going to retire, I was going to go to school and become a child psychologist. I would have had money left over to start my own practice. It is what it is now.



posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme

Originally posted by dubiousone

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
reply to post by cornucopia
 


Why? Because I cannot afford to. I work in the arts.
A good year for me is $30,000. An average year is $20,000. My best year has been $50,000. I live in California, so this is not a lot of money.

So again I ask, why reward those who were not responsible with their money?



Are you saying "misery loves company"?

Why is what the OP describes more offensive to you than the practice of selling these charged off debts to opportunistic bottom feeding debt buyers who then go out and multiply the misery of your fellow citizens who "owe" those debts? These debt buyer parasites feed off of others' misfortune. They add nothing to the economy. They impair the debtors' ability to contribute to the economy by taking away money which could be better used in the stream of commerce (buying stuff), supporting themselves and their family and friends. Time is lost and anguish is inflicted by the parasites' demands for payment in full with interest, penalties, lawyer fees, and more, by those who only paid pennies on the dollar. This onslaught of misery destroys peace of mind, increases distress, destroys relationships, increases family disharmony, divorce, and is a factor leading some to suicide.
edit on 11/10/2012 by dubiousone because: Toned down the rant.


You are absolutely correct in what you describe.
However, some people choose to put themselves in debt. I cannot feel sympathy for someone who spends and spends, and then cries help me. That is what I find (as you put it) offensive.


Did you misread the OP?

Those who are buying these debts for pennies on the dollar and forgiving them are doing it randomly and not in response to anyone's cry for help. They are doing it without reference to the underlying reasons why the particular debt was in default and charged off.

It is an act of pure nonjudgmental good will. It is an example which more should follow.



posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I think targetted abolishment of debt would be good.
To the person that lived responsibly but had a issue (sickness, company went under, etc) and went into sudden dispariging debt, etc..then most definately try to help them out..

To someone who went into massive debt because they wanted to get cool rims for their car, tons of shoes, etc...ya..too bad. get to work.

Not all debts are equal, not all reasons are equal.

On page 1, it was mentioned that some don't do well with this physical world, reality is unnatural, etc..
suck it up princess, we all feel that way, and we push past it..its called overcoming a obsticle.
You don't have to go into debt to survive...a cardboard box, a jacket, and a soup kitchen will keep you alive. Your wanting to thrive on someone elses dime. So, your argument is because you don't want to work for a living, you will demand someone work twice as long to support you...screw them and their comfort, their exact feelings at times that you have...they have to work doubly so you can what? what is your contribution to humanity? getting zonked and mooching twinkies?

Get off your butt and get a job!

(and I am a liberal..can only imagine what a neocon must think about such a person. Who says we can't agree)



posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone
It is an act of pure nonjudgmental good will. It is an example which more should follow.

No, its a bad example
a good example is judging...we should judge someones reasoning behind debt so it doesn't happen again.
The worst thing you can do for someone whom caused their problem is make sure they learn nothing from it. There are exceptions of course, but no, random debt forgivness is not helpful in the long run...target it..judge the situation..or just don't do it would be my call on that.



posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
A few people have made the point of private citizens can do what they wish with their own funds. And you are all correct.
I thought about this thread all day today at work. And I do see the positive of this idea. However, I still am concerned about the ramifications resulting from rewarding those that have done nothing to earn it.


Well, one positive aspect (short term).
The idiots that spent well beyond their means, will simply do it again.
And this will stimulate the economy a bit...for a little while..until they go into debt again anyhow and start the whole downward spiral.

Some may learn and call it a miracle, then be responsible...many won't.
But..meh, ya..some benefits.



posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
reply to post by jude11
 


Yes I do remember them. How did I bail them out?
I understand taxes went to them, yes possibly taxes I contributed, went to them. But I had no direct or final say about that.

If it's truly bailing out the 99% Send me my check too, and I'll support this movement. Until then, I'll continue to count my pennies so I can actually afford to be generous with the portion of my income the government lets me keep.


Nothing wrong with that brother, this is set up for people that can help.


And I think it's great you do, something you love and helps others happy,For a living. if more of us did that it would be a better place to live!

Peace and love from Connecticut!
edit on 11-11-2012 by Ikema because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme
 


In a world of excess this is what we're left with...

This little gambit while admirable on a moral level is ultimately futile. So long as it is still so profitable to hand out these bad loans they will continue to do so.



posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by slayer420
reply to post by randomtangentsrme
 


In a world of excess this is what we're left with...

This little gambit while admirable on a moral level is ultimately futile. So long as it is still so profitable to hand out these bad loans they will continue to do so.


It is only profitable if people agree to it.
I agree it is admirable on a moral level, even if some of my posts sound otherwise.





new topics
top topics
 
50
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join