It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Super-Earth' Alien Planet May Be Habitable for Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
SOURCE

Astronomers have detected an alien planet that may be capable of supporting life as we know it — and it's just a stone's throw from Earth in the cosmic scheme of things.

The newly found planet , also called Super - Earth [ HD 40307g ] is located at right range of distances where liquid water may exist . It lies 42 light-years away from Earth .

"The longer orbit of the new planet means that its climate and atmosphere may be just right to support life," study co-author Hugh Jones, of the University of Hertfordshire in England, said in a statement.

The planet orbits at a distance of 55.8 million miles (90 million kilometers) from its sun [ HD 40307 ] .This distance puts it into a habitable zone, the region in a planetary system where liquid water can exist on a planet’s surface.

HD 40307g is distant enough from its star to likely be rotating on its own axis instead of having one face permanently turned toward its sun. This makes an Earth-like day and night cycle likely on the planet, which also increases the likelihood that life could have evolved there.

If this planet is really habitable then it must have Alien beings in them . Can these beings be more Intelligent than us ? I wonder how would they look like . Is it possible that some of the UFOs that visit our planet Earth also come from this planet ?
Any thought

edit on 8-11-2012 by UltraMarine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by UltraMarine

If this planet is really habitable then it must have Alien beings in them . Can these beings be more Intelligent than us ? I wonder how would they look like . Is it possible that some of the UFOs that visit our planet Earth also come from this planet ? Any thought

Why must this planet have alien life?

Just because it is habitable doesn't mean it is habited.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Because , it has Earth Like Features :

*Water
*Day and Night Cycle
*Just right Atmosphere and climate

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Very cool - nice find.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

If this planet is really habitable then it must have Alien beings in them . Can these beings be more Intelligent than us ? I wonder how would they look like . Is it possible that some of the UFOs that visit our planet Earth also come from this planet ? Any thought

Just because it is habitable doesn't mean it is habited.

I'd say any remark about that habitability of the planet period may be a bit premature since all I can find that they currently know is the approximate mass and distance of the planet. They never said it was habitable, just that it's in the habitable zone, which only means that if you took an Earth-like planet and plopped it down in it, the temperature would be right for liquid water.

It's cool to fantasize about what wonderful things may exist there if certain other things fall into place, but the likelihood of it all depends on what else we can find out.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Dashdragon

We cannot deny 100% that there can be no life out there . Habitable zone and Life is co - related .

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I heard about this over the radio this morning and was also wondering whether it could be a possibility that the UFOs we've seen could have come from this planet.

It's too early to assume anything and we know too little of the planet.

It does however make a good fantasy. Maybe life is out there. Who knows

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The planet must be habitable in order for it to be inhabited. I'd say there is at least a 90% chance that if it is habitable that it is inhabited. How long will it take to verify whether it is habitable (like earth) or not?
edit on 8-11-2012 by csimon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by csimon

How long will it take to verify where it is habitable or not?

Thousands of years from Now . We lack the technology to reach there and confirm if Aliens are out there or not .

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

A lot of scientific suppositions have been made in this and every case involving extra solar planets. Everything involving this planet and every planet like it are nothing more than educated guesses.... very educated scientific guesses, but still just guesswork. They can certainly tell without a doubt that it is in the habitable zone, but the rest is extrapolated by what is known from the planets and moons in our own solar system. We have never seen one of these planets up close to know for sure that anything we've assumed is correct. So to assume... that it must be inhabited, is really fallacious. For all we know it could be a violent, horrible place with incredible geologic instability.... we don't know.

With that said, awesome find, and I love hearing about any new worlds they find... I especially love artist renderings of these planets even if it isn't based upon reality.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by UltraMarine

We cannot deny 100% that there can be no life out there . Habitable zone and Life is co - related .

Not sure that really fits what I said. I merely clarified what we've calculated for the planet vs what the previous posters were insinuating from it.

I firmly believe there is lots of other life in the universe, whether this planet can support any at all, let alone life similar to ours, still remains to be seen.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

I firmly believe there is lots of other life in the universe

Yep . We are not Alone . We humans are so primitive , we know nothing regarding this vast Universe .

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
There will be millions of planets that are habitable but the point that most people are missing is a fact that is so obvious that we are all overlooking.

WE ARE BARRED!!!!

Given the facts,.....nah im sure i dont have to list them but will share my opinion.

Do you really think that a species like us will be allowed to do to another planet what we have done to Earth?
We are currently in the process of destroying the oceans through polution, oil spills and over fishing.
We are currently destroying the land that we and other animals need to survive. We destroy acres of forest daily and in most cases destroy the land so we can scab it up with concrete jungles, replacing nature with our own neccesities.
We drill continuously for oil etc and i would say its a prety fair bet to say we are leaving massive voids beneath our feet.
We now with our technology (IMHO) are influencing alot of things that are unseen to the naked eye using frequencies and various waves that can only be causing harm to our "HABITAT"
We are destroying a planet and if i was to give an example i would say watch the film "The Day The Earth Stood Still"

To top it all off
While certain individuals and groups of people are aiming for the heavens with the goal of starting again on another planet to do to that what we have done here, wasting countless millions in currency and using massive quantities of GOLD to do so they are doing this while there are people on this planet simply struggling to survive because of famine, illness, poverty and war.

So answer this, What do you think God would say about our planned venture?

We are in END TIMES,....EYES TO THE SKIES ( or is it a case of As Above So Below?)
edit on 8-11-2012 by jazz10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by UltraMarine

I firmly believe there is lots of other life in the universe

Yep . We are not Alone . We humans are so primitive , we know nothing regarding this vast Universe .

"We are not alone"
"We know nothing regarding this vast universe."

Take your own advice and say you "think we are not alone" because we know nothing regarding this vast universe and the hypocracy of your writting would be resolved.

All of your knowledge comes from the faith you have in the theory of abiogenesis where you believe, just as you believe occurred here on Earth, that under the same conditions (distance from similar star, atmosphere, water etc.) the same results would occur anywhere in the universe. This theoretical process has not been proven to have occured in that manner here on Earth, more so to extrapulate that unprovable theory into what you claim to "know" about that which we know nothing about seems foolish to me.

God Bless,

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ElohimJD

You are Explaining as if you know Everything . Are you challenging the Theory of Abiogenesis ? If So , Whats your theory on Origin of Life ?
edit on 8-11-2012 by UltraMarine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
While having a planet in a stars Green Zone is a good start, the only thing it proves is: that the planet orbits in the green zone.

It does tell us that the chances for it to have some kind of life (as we know it), are better. But I'm afraid it doesn't prove it conclusively.

It could be a planet with thermal green house runaway like Venus. It could be locked into a ice age that reaches all the way to it's equator.

It could be close to a much thicker version of our asteroid belt and get's slammed by ELE sized asteroids way too often for life to get a decent foot hold there.

Or yes, it could be teaming with life, a virtual rain forest that covers it, and filled with all sorts of plants and animals, but no intelligent, tool using life forms.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

42 light years is too far for us to reach.

We need ftl travel. It needs developed like, yesterday.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Excellent find!! It just bother me that our closet neighbor star is 4.4 ly away and this planet is 42ly away.

edit on 11-11-2012 by Stardust101 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join