It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latino: We share GOP family values & religion but the GOP doesn't want us here.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
This was an interesting comment made by a young person who could not have been more than 20 on the BBC channel. I have searched by cannot find the exact broadcast but I thought the story was shocking in it's way and worth repeating because it says so much.

It was in conjunction with a story telling how Latins voted for Obama in large groups and by large margins.
This young man struggle with his own family values and staying in the country. I think he probably echos feelings of others. He was asked why he voted for Obama.

"We share GOP values of family & religion but republicans don't want us here."

A sad commentary. But how true. How can this ever be a winning strategy?

I think the GOP has to overcome this perception of being hostile to immigrants. You are always talking about someones family ultimately. And they need to change their positions and get women back.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Bush was good with Latinos, especially in 2000.....In part he could speak Spanish, and thus relate better. He also dealt with the large Latino population in TX...Romney, spending most of his time in MAss and Utah......not so much.
edit on 7-11-2012 by SrWingCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

It's a shame people vote for the lesser of two evils instead of the one's less publicized but still well worth a vote.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I guess the latinos are in good company, because appearenly the GOP didn't want the Ron Paul supporting / Libertarian vote either. Oh well, their loss!

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SrWingCommander
Bush was good with Latinos, especially in 2000.....In part he could speak Spanish, and thus relate better. He also dealt with the large Latino population in TX...Romney, spending most of his time in MAss and Utah......not so much.
edit on 7-11-2012 by SrWingCommander because: (no reason given)

His spanish is better than his english.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Look, I'm a Latina and a Republican. No party is going to represent your beliefs 100%. But to say The GOP doesn't want you here? It's not an easy process to come here, sure and it's not going to get easier. But you do what you have to, for your family, for yourself to come here LEGALLY. There are no shortcuts in life. And this country was founded on hard work and reward for that work. Plain and simple.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Get women back? 56% of white women voted for Romney. Racial minorities, both men and women, always vote majority Democrat. Why go out of their way to pander to Hispanics when all Romney needed was 2 or 3% more of the white vote to win? Immigrants who choose to come here illegally are not victims. I don't buy into the pity party.

If the GOP did decide to sell out or crank up the pandering, at best, it would do no good, at worst, it would be suicide.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by IWant2Believe323
Look, I'm a Latina and a Republican. No party is going to represent your beliefs 100%. But to say The GOP doesn't want you here? It's not an easy process to come here, sure and it's not going to get easier. But you do what you have to, for your family, for yourself to come here LEGALLY. There are no shortcuts in life. And this country was founded on hard work and reward for that work. Plain and simple.

How is the party sensitive to feelings of the average Latino both legal and illegal? Look back at the Republican nominee debates for a second and look at your own comment. You dont even see the flaw in your own statement do you? Those people were talking in several debates about building electric fences, mass deportation or "self deporting" (in other words go home youre not welcome) and not allowing young latinos to go school. Think about that. What if down in Florida they manned gunboats with automatic weapons and shot at people coming here from Cuba or Puerto Rico? Now think of a Mexican family trying to cross the border by climbing an electric fence, or just a 50 ft fence for that matter, how'bout walking for days through the desert with no food or water.... Like the conditions these people face just trying to get here isn't hard enough on them, sure lets do those things. :/ Really? Then they want the latino vote?
edit on 7-11-2012 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

top topics

join