It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally 20 posts. Been reading ATS for over a year now and I have to say this before I say anything

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by prostheticmind

So for your first "real" thread you choose to bitch about grammar? Yea, great topic

Oh and the spell checker isnt in the post submission form, its in your browser.

At least I waited until my second post
I'll watch as this thread goes down in flames as nobody gives a rats petunia anymore about spelling. You forgot "Then" and "Than" in the OP. I'm thinking roughly 2% of the English speaking community understand what those two words mean.

I always confuse sweet and sweat

Anyway to me if you can understand what is being said and ask if you don't no problem, you could have a crippled hands elder typing or a 100 year old there are certainly many with English as a second or even third language.

PLUS there are so many odd things about language!
In the desert I had desert.

To bad we do not have the nerve to simplify! Remove silent letters and write what we say!

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by prostheticmind

Originally posted by superman2012
There are quite a few threads on exactly what you are talking about....can you add that to your pet peeves as well? People that post without checking?

I was wondering when that would be brought up. Three pages and you're the first one to say it. Three pages of people feigning idiocy to try to get me to feel bad about stating an opinion, and they didn't even think that there may be a logical way to end the conversation by pointing out that this topic is moot. Honestly I'm surprised it took so long, you guys usually jump on stuff like this on page 1.

Sorry about that, I would have sooner but I was working.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Knowledge is its own reward.

"its" has an apostrophe. Like this: "it's".

pathetic.

Actually. ``Its`` is subjective to the world knowledge in that sentence. So no apostrophe necessary.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
Whale i bee! I din nebber no der iz a speel cheeker bilt rite in two are ATS re-pli sistim!

We bee lernin' sumpin' gnew ebby dai heya!

You waited through 20 posts to make a "rant"?

There is no spell checker here on my screen in this reply.

edit on 7/11/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: accidently spelled a word CORRECTLY

There isn't one in mine either. I was gonna I mean going to say but ....

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I spell poutine like this. "YUMMY"

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Ahoy! I'm with you to a certain degree OP, but don't forget the English language (all languages really) is constantly in a state of flux. Words have evolved, and will continue to do so, probably at a much more alarming rate now that we have the internet!
Perhaps that makes the lousy spellers..... the future??? *gasp* *insert Keanu pic*

But this is what really gets my goat in a slingshot.

edit on 8-11-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Man alive!

Nothing gets the villagers in these parts reaching for their torches and pitchforks like a little criticism about their spelling and grammar.

I really love words too, and ATS provides some really fun tools for playing with them. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but it is pretty funny, the things that the so-called spell-checker will and will not 'correct'. For instance, I have no dog in this race, but, there is no way to spell chemtrail that makes the spell-checker happy, but Sasquatch is fine if it is capitalized, I guess there must be only one.

Anyway,

I agree with the OP. Have you guys seen the crappola you are willing to throw down on these threads sometimes?
I know that it isn't going to change and I really don't want it to.

Just sayin'. You all can't tell me you don't notice. And call me whatever but, no, the concept of being able to get your point across without the basic tools to get your point across really gets the OP's point across.

Light up the torches.

X.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Thats all very good but for some reason the spell checker doesn't work for me plus the fact I have dyslexia, also many people posting are not native english speakers.
Also at the end of the day as long as you get your point across does it really matter?. It isn't like we are in an exam is it?
OR ARE WE

edit on 7-11-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

You remember that, monkey boy.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
One of the worstest furst threades i have eva red. R u 4 reel?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Deleted because I was twice beaten to point out its = it is!
edit on 8/11/12 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Some users post from phones, pads, and tablets, like myself. I accidentally misspell or mistype in my swift replies. It has nothing to do with my intelligence. There isnt a spell checker on my tablet browser. It can correct some words, but it doesn't catch everything.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

It's - Contraction for It is. (It's very cold today.)
Its - Possessive (The Dog loves playing with its red ball.)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Anyway to me if you can understand what is being said and ask if you don't no problem, you could have a crippled hands elder typing or a 100 year old there are certainly many with English as a second or even third language.

You ate the sand?!!?
Or did you have Cake for dessert?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Teh very fact U chows to use yor 21st post to spell bash the entire
Forum speeks volumes about your character.

About turn cary on marching in the opposite direction
Leave the good people of this bord behind you.

Sum ppl av problems spelling get over it.
It's the message that counts.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ezekielken
I spell poutine like this. "YUMMY"

russian spells poutine --> putin
french from france spells poutine --> "putain" que cest bon cette chose la

americans probably just say --> damn that thing is good what is it ?

but the real way to say it:

DLA BONNE VIEILLE POUTINE QUEBECOISE

btw Valentine makes the best ones

damn you .. now im hungry !

Americans trying poutine for the first time
so funny

ok last video
(need to stop editing ahah)

we are all unique and have different way to say something .. even the way we make food

thats the beauty of being so different .. would be sooooooooo boring
if people were always speaking the same way and writting the same way
we are not zombies and robots ! WE ARE ALIVE

we can write anyway we want .. has long we respect each others
you can write and make 100 mistakes in a 10 words sentence
wouldnt care much .. has long you can make your point across to communicate with others
edit on 11/8/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

You are aware that not everyone here speaks fluent english, and are in many different countries right? And some apologize that their english may not be too good.

You have to give and take a little.

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

It wasn't an insult, it was an observation. My comments were in regard to credibility, and the member in question claimed that I said people who don't proofread are unintelligent. This tells me they either didn't read what I said, or they didn't understand what I said.

Fair enough. One persons observation can be, and often is, misconstrued as another mans insult.

As for your question, no one asked me about my personal interests so I hadn't thought to share them. I'm very curious about ego, as some may have gathered from this conversation. I don't plan on limiting myself to just a few forum topics however, so I anticipate you will see my opinions sooner or later if you make a habit of reading a lot of what is posted here.

I've taken some time this morning to take a tour of your postings in other threads. Some responses I've starred because I happen to agree and your point was well made, others I have by passed. The tone in your previous responses in other threads are nowhere near as inflamatory as this thread is and has been from the word 'go'. The unfortunate consequence is that, in my opinion, this thread has done you a disservice.

Finally, thank you for having the decency to insult me in a serious manner, instead of mocking people who actually lack intelligence.

Not exactly an insult. What that was, was my snarky sarcastic sense of humor bubbling to the surface, being used in an attempt to counter what has been taken by others (myself included) as hubris on your part. Please, coming from a reformed word warrior myself, do not attempt to beat others about the head and neck with your passion for perfect grammar as it is not a true measure of intelligence at all. We all have our strengths. I know people that struggle to put together a coherent thought who can calculate a trigonometry equation in their head, a talent that is truly lost on me even if I were provided a calculator and a cheat sheet.

Let me leave you with a thought, using the example of your own thread. It is because of others preceived arrogance on your part concerning this particular topic that the 'meat and potatoes' of your message was lost and your credibility thrashed. People who have read this thread may be less likely to give any consideration to your future threads/posts due to this fact. This parallels your belief that because of spelling and grammatical errors in others postings their message has less credibility or is not worthy of digging into to try to ascertain the true message they are trying to convey. See what I mean? Double edged sword isn't it?

Now, with that said and having read some of your other contributions on the forums..... let's put this behind us and move on to some meaningful debate and dicussion. Please allow me to apologize in advance for any grammatical errors you may find in my future posts. LOL

edit on 8-11-2012 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: LOL... spelling of course

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
OP, I can feel your pain, and I understand that the request is made in the spirit of improving the general perception of CTers who are often understood to be poorly-educated nuts. However, this demand is an easy one for someone like me to make - spelling and grammar have always been rather natural skills to me, although they do tend to fall short at times.

Were our intelligence instead guaged by a skill less natural to me, I suppose I might be perceived as a poorly-educated nut. My point here is (1) appreciate your skill - it isn't natural to everyone, and many folks would love to claim it as their own and (2) after some time here, you may find as I did, that intent is far-more important than outcome when judging anyone's worthiness. There are terrific writers on this site who often impress me with their skills. There are also very intelligent people on this site who do not express their thoughts in the written word, for myriad reasons, as deftly as you. It took a big person to admit halfway-through this thread that you'd perhaps been a bit harsh - and I agree that some were being harsh on your request. But as someone who has been in your shoes, be patient. There are some amazing minds here, who demonstate absolutely no concern for proper spelling or grammar. Their ideas and contributions are no less important or provocative - but they are the exception. You may come to recognize certain users having this trait, and which ones simply don't.

That said, I do agree that for as long as the majority of CT websites and journalism in general appear as samples which weren't proof-read or edited, CT will always be a fringe discipline that more hardcore critics and journalists will tilt their chairs back and laugh at. To be taken seriously, contributions should have an appearance of professionalism. Perhaps we've identified somewhat of a niche market in this discussion.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DENBY

You ate the sand?!!?
Or did you have Cake for dessert?

There you go...always missing that s I just never NO.
Always working up a sweet in the dessert!

But if you understand me all is well. If you don't fall in the well.

Start a thread on the oddities of our English language and I would love it!
edit on 8-11-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Our medical Dr spells everything wrong.

One of the most intelligent men I have ever known could not spell and could not type, he worked using a secretary, maybe he got his Ph.D using one also.

Still when he chose to write to me personally I was never bother by the spelling and writing caused mainly by his bad typing skills.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join