It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CA Prop 37 requiring GMO food labeling NOT voted in -- WHY???

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I hate to say anything... Because I am against GMO's....

But if they were to label what was in it, people would become wiser and not buy those products..... Which means, all the major corporations that were using GMO's would then have start adding natural or organic ingredients.... taken from farms that can't meet the demand of that much supply. The whole reason we use GMO now is because it makes it so much easier to mass produce things.

So that means the cost of food would have to skyrocket so much, the people that are already on food stamps would no longer be able to afford it. Plain and simply put, the corporations have us by the balls and they never have to let go, because the average person can't afford it. So they will never start labelling GMOs here in north america. Greeds wins out.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
No, I read the barcodes on the back of the carrots. I buy only bagged carrots, never lose carrots. I don't take any chances. I know some GMO will slip by but in what I purchase, I do my best to make sure I know what it is. I have to be VERY careful what I eat. I'm allergic to pesticides and Aspartame. They cause extreme digestive upset for me so I'm used to reading labels. Even organic can be GMO. My best bet is to go with a non GMO and wash it thoroughly with soap or sanitizer before eating. Idealy I'd want my food to be organic and non GMO, I grow some of my own vegetables like greens to make sure of this.

I never assume anything is safe just because I bought it at Sprouts or Trader Joes. I still read the labels and barcodes. I have a series of products I buy on a regular basis that I know are safe. I'm well aware that Kellogs doesn't produce fresh carrots.

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

Originally posted by favouriteslave
Because those of us who have been on top of GMO foods know how to read barcodes for our products and know where to buy our non GMO foods. I've been doing this for years, I don't need a label on it to tell me so. It lets GMOs foods scrape buy without labels on them so what is it really good for? Waste of time and money.

Learn to read barcodes and stop buying major brands like General Mills, Kellogs, etc....

Whoa, now. That's quite an assumptive leap to say that I'm not "on top" of GMO foods and unable to read barcodes and buying major brands like General Mills and Kellogs just because I support GMO labeling. I assure you that none of those assumptions are true.

Here's a scenario for you. Your local farmers' market shuts down for the winter at the end of November. Come December, you're walking through, say, a Whole Foods store that has a table of carrots with no barcodes, that are marked "all natural." Is it possible that those carrots are transgenic?

Understand, we're not just talking about the deliberate production of GMO foods. Nowhere, in any of the current laws, is there a provision that addresses contamination through pollenization and prevailing winds.

So, those carrots that you think are so safe because you bought them at the "safe store" and the barcode was right and they weren't produced by General Mills may not be so safe after all.

This NY Times article discusses the issue.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
That just shows you that nobody really cares about other people's health. Just their own well being "screw everybody else".. And to think people are proud of this country, and now they are going to die

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

No, I read the barcodes on the back of the carrots. I buy only bagged carrots, never lose carrots. I don't take any chances. I know some GMO will slip by but in what I purchase, I do my best to make sure I know what it is. I have to be VERY careful what I eat. I'm allergic to pesticides and Aspartame. They cause extreme digestive upset for me so I'm used to reading labels. Even organic can be GMO. My best bet is to go with a non GMO and wash it thoroughly with soap or sanitizer before eating. Idealy I'd want my food to be organic and non GMO, I grow some of my own vegetables like greens to make sure of this.

I never assume anything is safe just because I bought it at Sprouts or Trader Joes. I still read the labels and barcodes. I have a series of products I buy on a regular basis that I know are safe. I'm well aware that Kellogs doesn't produce fresh carrots.

Wow, you missed both of my points!

First, I wasn't saying that you don't know how to buy safe foods. I was saying that you shouldn't assume that others (including myself) aren't as careful as you are just because we support GMO labeling.

The second point--and this one makes me sad because I really do feel for you, especially, having those allergies--is that unless we do something to fight the whole evil GMO invasion of our food supply, that down the road, even all those precautionary measures you take won't be able to keep GMO out of your food supply. It will be in the water, in the soil, and in the air. Even the veggies you grow in your own garden have to be pollinated from somewhere.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

So, when are you getting off this planet. Wanna help me plan an exodus? They found this planet, it's only 42 light years away. Whoa! 42 same as the meaning of life...sweet. Ok, back to the subject at hand. There has to be foul play involved. Jeez, what's it gonna take to actually get those bass turds to be transparent.
edit on 8-11-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I'm having trouble describing how upsetting this is. California was given a chance, and if not that state then which one could make a difference? Labelled my first ATS enemy on this post, certainly keen to see who this member works for.
Over ten million of you voted on this specific issue - and this is the result? an affirmation of GMO. Look this site has mostly US citizens on it, and your people deserve your fate. Perhaps it is time to concentrate my energies elsewhere. For any of you who haven't joined the masses of the brain dead - I seriously suggest you get out of there.

Take this vote as an indication of the mental and moral health of the nation; do you really expect good things for your future there?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Why bother? Basically all of our food is GM anyways. If you buy food, just assume it's GM.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Peter Brake

Ok, now I see how I got a "respected foe" message from ATS. Sorry if you don't agree with my stance. I am very against GMO, but I am equally against big government. I voted no based on my personal opinion that we need to stop creating more and more laws(bureaucracy) that do nothing for the people. You may think this would have done something, but I don't. You have every right to disagree with me, but I would like to set you straight in the fact that I have no agenda here. I post on this site enough, to see I don't have an agenda, unless being prickly is an agenda!

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peter Brake
Labelled my first ATS enemy on this post, certainly keen to see who this member works for.

For any of you who haven't joined the masses of the brain dead - I seriously suggest you get out of there. Take this vote as an indication of the mental and moral health of the nation; do you really expect good things for your future there?

While I am equally appalled at the result of the Prop 37 vote (having voted for it myself) I understand and respect SunnyDee's reasoning behind voting "no." It's true that we have a lot of useless legislation out there. Our common ground seems to be that we agree that GMO needs to be seriously and effectively addressed on a substantive national level. And prickly? Only just a bit.
Hidden agenda? I don't think so.

As for getting the heck outta dodge, I won't give in to a defeatist attitude any time soon. What would happen if we all threw up our hands and jumped ship? "You must be the change you want to see in the world." -- Ghandi

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
While I am equally appalled at the result of the Prop 37 vote (having voted for it myself) I understand and respect SunnyDee's reasoning behind voting "no." It's true that we have a lot of useless legislation out there. Our common ground seems to be that we agree that GMO needs to be seriously and effectively addressed on a substantive national level. And prickly? Only just a bit.
Hidden agenda? I don't think so.

So gentlemen what chances are there that at a federal level, that GMO's will be labelled or banned? Especially when you have failed in the easiest of fights, the simple right for personal choice. Come on take a good hard look at what you are dealing with. 10 Million people voted, I thought we had a lot of sheep here but at least they do not vote for their own mindless slavery.

This was a battle that could have been won. Look I've been actively fighting this here at every front. From farming, personal choice, politics, health and speaking about the rights to be informed. You can see what is right don't kiss the arse of someone whose argument is, it is costly or hard to do. F*ck that #. Do what is right, say what is right all the time and don’t let the ba*stards get away with it.

Again I think it is fair to say the USA deserves the leadership, ill-health, toxin ridden food and environment that they live in. As this needed to be fort right from the start, now your nation is the champion of this technology foisting in on the rest of the planet.

To read what some believe as reasoned arguments for coping out in doing what is right makes me sick.

posted on Nov, 10 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Well, I signed the original petition to get this GMO labeling on the ballot, so, of course I was disappointed when it did not pass. I have Hulu Plus and when the "No on 37" commercials came up, I was able to pause the Hulu Player and read the names of who paid for the NO Vote. Monsanto was on top of the list closely followed by companies like Kellogg and Cargill. So, my answer is that they spend millions to defeat this measure and they got their money's worth. All we can do now is avoid Canola oil and think twice about buying Kellogg brand cereals. I am sure if we buy only at health food stores like the New Frontiers we have here, we will end up with organic foods that are safe. But, with tighter budgets I wonder how many people will flock to the health food stores for groceries?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join