CA Prop 37 requiring GMO food labeling NOT voted in -- WHY???

page: 2
15
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

Originally posted by SunnyDee
It was badly written. It had lots of loopholes, so I voted no on it. I thought it was a great idea, the labeling, but it would not have done enough, and cost Californians a lot.


I have heard the "poorly-written/loophole" argument but now we have nothing. Nada. No step--albeit an imperfect one--in the right direction. Your vote just said that you care more about your wallet than your (and everyones') health.

Yeah, let's wait for a perfect prop to come along, one that everyone believes will "do enough." /sarcasm


This, This, This. A star is just not enough.

A yes would've been a step in the right direction AT LEAST. Something to get the ball rolling for the rest of the U.S.
A no says, "hey, it's ok if these corporations want to spend millions to hide it and not give me a choice, but I don't care because *nit pick nit pick*"

The list of corporations that are GMO is great but they make hundreds of products and they also have little sub companies that put out food as well. I don't see how "California" has to foot the bill when the corporations have to spend the money to add the labeling.

Ugh..Fail fail fail fail fail




posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by favouriteslave
Because those of us who have been on top of GMO foods know how to read barcodes for our products and know where to buy our non GMO foods. I've been doing this for years, I don't need a label on it to tell me so. It lets GMOs foods scrape buy without labels on them so what is it really good for? Waste of time and money.

Learn to read barcodes and stop buying major brands like General Mills, Kellogs, etc....


Whoa, now. That's quite an assumptive leap to say that I'm not "on top" of GMO foods and unable to read barcodes and buying major brands like General Mills and Kellogs just because I support GMO labeling. I assure you that none of those assumptions are true.

Here's a scenario for you. Your local farmers' market shuts down for the winter at the end of November. Come December, you're walking through, say, a Whole Foods store that has a table of carrots with no barcodes, that are marked "all natural." Is it possible that those carrots are transgenic?

Understand, we're not just talking about the deliberate production of GMO foods. Nowhere, in any of the current laws, is there a provision that addresses contamination through pollenization and prevailing winds.

So, those carrots that you think are so safe because you bought them at the "safe store" and the barcode was right and they weren't produced by General Mills may not be so safe after all.

This NY Times article discusses the issue.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wujotvowujotvowujotvo
 


A big star for you, wujo, for posting the list of corporate shame! I feel betrayed by these companies, much like Dan Akroyd in the original Ghostbusters when the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man grew to gigantic proportions and turned on them. When I was a kid, a bowl of Campbell's tomato soup with some goldfish crackers was wholesome comfort food. Now, it's a bowl of poison.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Because it wasnt an issue worth voting for...and they didnt. You and I might think its important...but we were wrong. Otherwise, it wouldve passed.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The reason why is that mind control techniques work well with the lousy school created logic. The population has been raised on 75 years of non-issue persuasion, which actually originated in CA, through the campaign system. Rule number 1: Never argue the facts - never. Create a straw man, then knock it down - regardless of how relevant it is. Play off fear, money-tax, jobs, cancer etc. even when not relevant at all. Never argue facts - ever.

This prop, even without the "loophole" nonsense was easily defeated by using years of proven mind control tactics. The majority of the human population is incapable of reasoning for themselves, critical thinking for themselves is a no go simply because they were taught in school to fall for the tactics of mind control. There is no point in create a fantastic method for controlling the mind if you leave the possibility for critical thinking in the mix, so take it out via the enslavement system of public education and you're good to go.

There is no rational argument for not labeling food, we do it already. In fact, we include facts that are often not relevant to most people. We label fast food - it's assumed it is crap, so why label it. So there is no rational argument to not label an item that is patented in the food. So, don't argue facts. I'm actually kind of surprised some of the adds didn't talk about schools, breast cancer and stopping crime.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The best part about this whole debacle is ... HOW THE **** CAN THEY SAY IT WON OR LOST ... what about all the absentee and provisional ballots (mine being one of those). It takes 7 to 14 days to tally provisional ballots

Mutha Beaches.... they probably used the CA lotto machine to come up with the talliess


and great post old man... don't worry sir.. I'll fill your shoes when you kick the bucket ; )
edit on 7-11-2012 by FORMe2p00p0n because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by SunnyDee
 


You voted no yet you are aware of the dangers??? Someone who is aware and votes no? It was a start! There was huge money injected to defeat it. So I guess all those commercials trying to scare the sheep that it would make their grocery bills go up and all those scientific studies telling the sheep (funded by Monsanto) GMO is perfectly safe worked. Either that or there was monkey business. We DO have Diebold machines and tabulators here in California.

The other one that gets me is the rejection to repeal the death penalty. California? Seriously? They went on and on last night on the MSM about "demographics" affecting the outcome of the Presidential election. We have a huge Hispanic population that are mostly Catholic. They don't even have the death penalty in Mexico because of these religious beliefs.

Makes me mad.


Do I have to repeat myself? Lot's of bureaucracy would ensue, but you'd still be eating GMO. Take it national. Labeling does not get rid of GMO. Passing a bad law creates obstacles for a better law to be passed.

ANd if you care about GMO, don't eat anything boxes or canned, it's all GMO. Even fresh, unless it says otherwise. How hard is that?



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
After all the garbage coming out of Cali they blow this call.It only goes to show how dangerous tofu truly must be in its affect on the human mind.Perhaps they need a vital influx of chocolate,red meat and assault weapons to recover.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7
 


Oh tofu is the worst offender! GMO soy is one of the biggest GMO commodities. And of course, us Californians live on tofu, don't ya know, so our brains are GMO central so we can't vote on a proposition based on good old common sense. No, we are just GMO eating sheeple out here in the west.

Bad law is bad law. India has the right idea. A labeling law does not change the food to non-gmo. Fix this nationally, is the answer. Europe mostly outlaws GMO also. We need to follow suit, and not find reasons to harp on CA.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee
 


Well said.

2nd- And thank you.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
well i think you all should just not worry about it and all have a standard USA breakfast lunch and dinner pre-packed with whatever the gov-suits think is best for their profit, um i mean their best interest, no i mean your best interest..... yeah thats the one


Just eat your meal, go to work and pay your tax. Theres a good citizen. Leave the food, war and politics to the professionals who know whats best.

oops there i go with my sarcasm again *sigh*

edit on 7-11-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
reply to post by cavtrooper7
 

Fix this nationally, is the answer. Europe mostly outlaws GMO also. We need to follow suit, and not find reasons to harp on CA.


Last time I checked, my POTUS was out on a Monsanto-sponsored golf outing. I really do understand that it would be ideal to address this GMO issue nationally, and that if we had to address it on the state level, that it would be ideal to pass a much better, less loop-holey prop than 37...

...but the last time I wished for a Skittle-pooping unicorn, I didn't get that either.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
There was a huge campaign here in CA that told people their food bills would go up $400 per year, that this bill would destroy agriculture and lose jobs, and that it was a bill written by trial lawyers so they could sue farmers.

That campaign worked.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure
 


Well I voted for GJ so I am trying to make change. Hope you did too. Or did you vote Obama, the monsanto golfer?

We can't just keep making stupid bureaucracy-filled law after law. We need big fixes. That is the bottom line.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
There was a huge campaign here in CA that told people their food bills would go up $400 per year, that this bill would destroy agriculture and lose jobs, and that it was a bill written by trial lawyers so they could sue farmers.

That campaign worked.


I'll tell you, i did not care about the $400, but I do care about paying for more govt workers, and still eating GMO after labeling.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
reply to post by graceunderpressure
 


Well I voted for GJ so I am trying to make change. Hope you did too. Or did you vote Obama, the monsanto golfer?

We can't just keep making stupid bureaucracy-filled law after law. We need big fixes. That is the bottom line.



Yes, I voted GJ as well. Come to think of it, I've heard many people say they did, too. We should all get in a big room, raise our hands, and see if the count equals the mere 1 million votes that they say he received.

I also agree that continuing to support bureacracy-ridden legislation is counterproductive but unfortunately in this case, it was the flawed legislation or none at all.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by SunnyDee
 


You voted no yet you are aware of the dangers??? Someone who is aware and votes no? It was a start! There was huge money injected to defeat it. So I guess all those commercials trying to scare the sheep that it would make their grocery bills go up and all those scientific studies telling the sheep (funded by Monsanto) GMO is perfectly safe worked. Either that or there was monkey business. We DO have Diebold machines and tabulators here in California.

The other one that gets me is the rejection to repeal the death penalty. California? Seriously? They went on and on last night on the MSM about "demographics" affecting the outcome of the Presidential election. We have a huge Hispanic population that are mostly Catholic. They don't even have the death penalty in Mexico because of these religious beliefs.

Makes me mad.


Do I have to repeat myself? Lot's of bureaucracy would ensue, but you'd still be eating GMO. Take it national. Labeling does not get rid of GMO. Passing a bad law creates obstacles for a better law to be passed.

ANd if you care about GMO, don't eat anything boxes or canned, it's all GMO. Even fresh, unless it says otherwise. How hard is that?


You just bent over and took one for big industry along with 500.000 other Californians. If you haven't noticed yet corporations just tricked you and everyone else out of informed choice.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Couldn't tell you to be honest. It is up there with Ohio not passing a bill that would end Gerrymandering. It is people they will whine and cry about something and then vote against it when the big money interests say ti will be bad.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The people are stupid, but they ain't that stupid. Only massive election fraud can explain it, and other bizarre, inexplicable results like the reelection of CA Sen. Diane Feinstein.



posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
reply to post by cavtrooper7
 


Oh tofu is the worst offender! GMO soy is one of the biggest GMO commodities. And of course, us Californians live on tofu, don't ya know, so our brains are GMO central so we can't vote on a proposition based on good old common sense. No, we are just GMO eating sheeple out here in the west.

Bad law is bad law. India has the right idea. A labeling law does not change the food to non-gmo. Fix this nationally, is the answer. Europe mostly outlaws GMO also. We need to follow suit, and not find reasons to harp on CA.


I have heard this argument and no one has PROVEN it's a bad law. What this did do is keep people in the dark about GMO's in their foods for many more years to come. More health at risk, more people dying from toxicity caused by GMO's You just helped to kill people. I hope your good with going to Hell. All for what - a hope a better law could come around when this one could have saved lives? Silly.



new topics
top topics
 
15
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join