It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puerto Rico has voted to join the union. It is to be the 51st state after congressional approval, ma

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

This vote in PR is non binding.

Secondly the governor possibly lost his position to a candidate who favors the status quo.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

I'm not opposed to them becoming a state. I actually would welcome it....Our flag has had fifty stars on it for two long, it's time to change it's looks.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

I'll take a shot at it.

I don't know if it will ever happen but if it does, I'll be happy for them, but I hope they are somehow 'educated' on how to meld into America so that they may grow to be a productive asset to their communities overall. Perhaps attend a 'head start' type of program so they can hit the ground running with aspiring minds and greater ambition.

Living in Florida I have watched my community transformed over 10 years to what it is now after what locals refer to as the PR invasion. I have Puerto Rican friends who I've known for years and are dear to me. I am no racists.

These are factual observations sadly, and will most likely be the cause of having to join the other people who have grown up around here and moved away because it has gone completely out of control.

-All of the brand name thriving businesses such as great franchise restaurants and top brand grocery stores have gone and have been replaced with La Familia Pawn shops and check cashing stores. Billboards offering law services etc,. are all in Spanish now.
-Low-rider 'race clubs' dominate the night time streets and large parking lots by the hundreds, racing with ear piercing loud music. Many races leading to fatal crashes, and involve innocent motorists. Crosses with flowers litter the roadsides.
-Crime has sky rocketed due to growing gang activity, home domestic violence, auto theft, and robbery. Stay in a night. Police and ambulance sirens up and down the streets all night long now.
-Puerto Rican teen pregnancy is highest in the state, and motivation to pursue higher education and higher paying jobs is weak across a majority.
-Multiple families moving into homes with numerous cars parked in all the yards, beer bottles everywhere.
-No home improvement or maintenance performed is widespread. I bought our new neighbors a lawn mower so they would finally mow their lawn, had to teach then how to use it.
-health care facilities are packed everyday due to health issues stemming from heart disease. It's cheaper to eat fast food at Mcdonald's than to buy healthy food from the grocery.
My Puerto Rican friends say the reason teen girls get pregnant so young is because it makes them more attractive at school, or more adult like.
I believe these widespread tenancies in this culture coming from the island can be reduced if there were more programs available to give them the boost of preparedness and knowledge they need. A method of pointing the way for them to learn to be planned parents, seek higher education, better jobs, to keep up with their teens and how to maintain safe and livable neighborhoods, a fresh new start for them.
I believe they would run with, and create grand and wonderful things. I trying to learn spanish so I can do my part where I can.

edit on 7-11-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
My daughter-in-law is from San Juan, she's there right now. She says about half want statehood. It's up to the people, if they want it I'm all for it.

We went last year. Crime can be a problem but family kept us safe. LE is everywhere and my daughter-in-law says cops don't take crap from locals, keeping tourists safe is #1.

Most residents/workers, especially those in the tourist trade, speak/understand enough English so language really wasn't an issue.

I will say PRs really take their shopping seriously. I've never seen such crowded malls and I suspect very few were tourists. As consumers/hard workers I'm afraid they outshine us.

It was great our driver's license got us in/out. I can't wait to go back.

Beautiful accommodating people, great food, fantastic beaches. To top it off there's a rain forest/bioluminescent bay. I don't know what's richer their culture or coffee.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Morningglory

We went last year. Crime can be a problem but family kept us safe. LE is everywhere and my daughter-in-law says cops don't take crap from locals, keeping tourists safe is #1.

Why is crime so bad, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks for your post.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

From what I've been told it's the same things as here. Lack of education/poverty/drugs/alcohol etc.

My daughter-in-law's family doesn't think to highly of their public schools. Most of them went to private schools. She says their private schools are more in line with public schools here in the states.

I don't know our schools seem to be getting worse. Right now Puerto Rico seems very motivated in improving the standard of living for their people. At least that's my hope.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Morningglory
reply to post by Sissel

From what I've been told it's the same things as here. Lack of education/poverty/drugs/alcohol etc.

My daughter-in-law's family doesn't think to highly of their public schools. Most of them went to private schools. She says their private schools are more in line with public schools here in the states.

I don't know our schools seem to be getting worse. Right now Puerto Rico seems very motivated in improving the standard of living for their people. At least that's my hope.

Aweom..!!! As I said before, I really hope to get an opportunity to visit one day. It seems they are very Americanized already.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Of course they want to get in on the federal gravy-train before the party is over... with 3rd world conditions and high unemployment this means more federal monies...

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Any one know when Congress will
speak of this ?

I'd like to read/watch what they have to say.
edit on 11/7/2012 by EvilBat because: some reason the of left off the f

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilBat
Any one know when Congress will
speak of this ?

I'd like to read/watch what they have to say.
edit on 11/7/2012 by EvilBat because: some reason the of left off the f

I am going to guess after the new congress is sworn in.. I know Obama has touched on the issue stating he would respect whatever choice is made.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Why not give them statehood? They are American citizens. I fully support their desire for statehood.

statehood would help the economy, as everyone would need a new flag, 51 stars.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Puerto Rico has been part of the United States since 1898 and US citizens since 1917 ... they are 99% Americanized except for the Spanish as a first language and even then many Puerto Rican youth today are just as likely to speak English as they are Spanish.

Yesterday's massive endorsement of statehood has been a long, slow process that began on July 25th 1898 when the first US Army troops landed in Guanica, Puerto Rico although the statehood movement did not become very powerful until the 1960s when Luis Ferre and the Partido Estado Republicano (gee I wonder what national political party they affiliated with) won the 1968 general election.

It should be noted that within Puerto Rican politics the supporters of the current territorial "commonwealth" status are all national Democrats while the supporters of statehood have historically been national Republicans although nowadays they do have alot of Democrats as well.
edit on 7-11-2012 by ChrisF231 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Some areas of PR are probably no more third world than parts of Detroit or my own hometown of Gary, IN. Outlying areas are a lot like where I live here in rural southern Colorado.

Tourist areas are luxury to the max. Neighborhoods around San Juan are nice. Many building upgrades have been implemented because of hurricanes. I saw nothing as bad as Gary.

As far as jumping on the federal gravy-train, I think they've had that option for sometime but it's hardly the majority. In fact I think I read somewhere Puerto Rico's production exceeds ours.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
doesn't sy much for Peurto Rico - when will d.c. join the United States.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrikeyMagnet

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
So whats the new flag of America going to look like?

edit on 7-11-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

I think the new star would have to be an in-game purchase. For an extra 99 cents, you get a single star (one size only) which you can then sew on to your flag wherever you want. It's time the flag-making world learned something about online monetizing.

hm... I see. So basically you're telling me that the USA is going free-to-play soon?

Damn... things must be really bad there :/ this is not very common since a new Obama expansion is just out

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
So whats the new flag of America going to look like?

Well, if this happens anytime within the next four years, I think this is a good bet.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yay more debt from borrowers who cant afford homes.. more victims to gobble up foodstamps and welfare... and more sheeple to support destructive democrat policies.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by Nyiah

I am Puertorrican, I will say that congress will no approve, why? because this is been going on since the 70s and the only way that congress will take the PR statehood is if the population vote more than 60% pro.

The vote was 61% in favour

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I was wondering the same thing.

What would be the economic fallout if Puerto Rico were to become a state? There is quite a bit of poverty on that little island...

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

This is big.

51 states in the union.

Never thought I would see that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join