It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Obama wins and Gary Johnson gets his 5%

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Say goodnight to the Republican party, and with it...hard right social conservatism.

Crazy Talk!

No, not at all. Let's take a peek into a very probable reality, shall we?

Obama wins tomorrow and the American landscape changes once more. The Republicans lost face for the better part of a decade, and lost the sentiment of the American electorate in 2008. This caused party splintering to the point where Ron Paul's tea party was overtaken by absolute loons who didn't carry the original message. Hateful, vile, and repugnant, these people hid behind the tea party rhetoric to spew their "old school" values. They desired to restrict rights, and halt social progress in its tracks.

This element of the right wing caused a lot of grief to those moderate republicans who find themselves to be on the liberal end of the social dynamic while holding on to core fiscally conservative values. There was a coup within the Republican party itself. The GOP was overtaken by demons of the extreme, and thus sold its soul for the promise of reemergence into political relevance. And so, the devil worked his fiddle and Americans marched to hate and anger, "taking back" the house of representatives. The sweet tune of the devil on a moonlit night played on and on, as the "Tea Party Coalition" became a snake that the Republican establishment could not charm. And so, after a mess of a primary season and the shafting of an old Libertarian looking for a renewed Republic...the GOP found itself with Romney as a candidate.

(THIS IS THE PART EVERYONE WILL GASP AT)

Now, if the Republicans lose again, there will be nothing to do but tear at one another to such an extreme that the party would be forced to fall into decay. However, this is not considering the Gary Johnson factor. If Mr. Johnson gets 5, then it's bye bye GOP. The Libertarian Party will have federal funding for 2016 and access to millions of dollars. Those libertarian minded individuals who only labeled themselves as GOP for lack of anywhere else to call home will jump ship and join their new Holy Land: The Libertarian Party of the United States of America.

This will splinter the GOP, turning the remnants into the party of Social Conservatism...something that the future is already leaving behind. When given an option of Socially Liberal/Fiscally conservative vs Socially Conservative/Fiscally Conservative....most rational people choose liberty. There will be no "legislating morality based upon theocratic beliefs" There will only be liberty, and fairness int he land.

If Obama wins and Johnson gets 5%, then America...I welcome you to the land of: Democrats and Libertarians (...oh and also that joke third party with the bible platform)

I jest, I jest. If I offended, it was merely to joke.
However, I'm serious about my assertion. If GJ gets his five, and Obama wins...the GOP is gone.

Mark this one as a prediction only if on November 7th we find that my two Prerequisites have come to pass.

edit on 5-11-2012 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-11-2012 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

We can only hope (and I don't mean that in the rhetorical Obama sense, I mean it in the very real hope that some kind of truly fiscally conservative movement comes of this smokeshow we call an election).

For the record, I am voting for Gary Johnson for this very reason.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
So if the Libertarian (or any third party) gains 5% of the vote, they are awarded with a sum of an alleged 90 million dollars?

This is a rumor I have been hearing. To me, it sounds like a giant pay off.

Edit to add: If this true, where does this sum of money come from?

edit on 5-11-2012 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I have always voted independent as I believe the parties are a decisive tool used against the public and the republic instead of for it, keeping us divided and creating congressional gridlock! But if what you are saying is true and we might actually diminish the Republicans I may have to vote 3rd party this year! Wouldn't it be amazing to finally see something akin to a real democracy with more than 2 parties?

Although I was thinking of a write in since Ron was not on the ballot you have a good case for the The Libertarian Party!
edit on 5-11-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I don't see how a party which the candidate gets 50% of popular vote can disappear in 4 years and the other goes from an almost irrelevant position to be a majority.

And Gary Johnson will not get 5%, all the independents will sum at best 4%.

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I want the end to Theocratic Nonsense in my America, and you all want a true party of fiscal conservatism:

Let us spread the word and help GJ get his 5%

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Do we have any numbers on Garry Johnson yet? How close is he to getting that magical number?

I truly believe that America is to diverse to simply have two parties to choose from.

There are a lot of people that (for lack of a better explaination) feel:

"I don't want McDonalds...and I don't want Burger King either. I'd rather have Wendy's!"

Unfortunatley, people feel that they only have two choice -- McDonalds or Burger King.

The demographic in America is slowly shifting away from a white majority -- each 4 years minority population grows by 2%. I think eventually the GOP won't be able to rely on the "white vote" like it always has.

It's funny to look at the electorate map. From studies I've read, liberals tend to be more "world-aware" and conservatives more "American-centric". It makes sense. Look at how the blue states are nearly always on the coast. People in these states are exposed to many more racial sub-groups than people in the heartland.

It's no surprise that people that vote Democrat usually take vacations and travel overseas more, plane tickets from a coastal city are generally cheaper.

Like it or not, the world is becoming more and more globalized each day.
edit on 5-11-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
S&F

I really hope so

I really hope GJ gets 5%

Ill be jetting back to the libertarian party like no ones business. I only switched to GOP to vote for RP in the primary & run for a local committeeman seat (which I won)

but if he gets that 5%, im jumping ship.
edit on 11/5/2012 by ugie1028 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Well, I spend the year in 4 different countries and I'm voting republican. It's not only an issue of america-centrism. It's much more than that.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I don't have the faith in the Libertarian Party to pull in even 5%. I'm probably going to vote for Johnson even though I don't really like him, and think that with just a couple of issues he could have easily put up some Perot-like numbers. Pot and gay marriage however are not those issues, and that's really all I've heard him talk about. I'm afraid the Libertarians have missed a once every few decades chance at relevance in Johnson's refusal, just like Romney's and Obama's, to say that there were CRIMES committed by banksters on Wall Street.

I don't even think that Johnson will get all the Ron Paul voters. As a matter of fact I'd bet that Ron Paul will get more write in votes than Johnson will get as LP candidate. And, to be honest the only reason that I'm probably going to vote Johnson is on the off chance it helps them get that 5%. I hope they do, but have zero faith in the national leadership of the LP to take useful advantage of it. They'll just try and repackage some has been Republican who couldn't move up in their own party like they have the past two cycles.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I hope so as well. I do believe we are looking at the beginning of the end of the Republicans. I believe their social conservatism is their undoing. They have fulfilled their purpose and it is time for them to go the way of the Whigs.

I however, would like to see the Dems go as well...it's just time for new philosophy and new ideas. I'm thinking the future will be Libertarian and Green party. Just my opinion though.

yes, I will be turning out to give my vote to Gary Johnson in an effort to secure that 5%.

It has to start somewhere and it needs to start now.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

You know that little box on your W-4 forms you fill out that says "Would like like 1 dollar to go toward elections?"

That is where it comes from.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
You make a great point, OP!

The GOP has already seen it's infrastructure begin to crack this last election cycle. In-fighting and differences in what issues are most important have divided the party pretty badly.

I think you will see the crash begin in the states first...then it will cycle to the national party. The Iowa GOP has all but been taken over by the Ron Paul libertarians, so it will be interesting to see what happens in the near future.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
I want the end to Theocratic Nonsense in my America, and you all want a true party of fiscal conservatism:

Let us spread the word and help GJ get his 5%

It would be even more amazing if GJ and Jill Stein both got 5%. 2016 would be an election with actual options for a change.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I know that the GOP here in my state has been "overtaken" by Ron Paul people. There was an op-ed in a local rag here from an "Old School Republican" about it. He was "alarmed and worried".

It's the old GOP members vs. the younger GOP members...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
i'm sending one GJ's way that's for sure, with RP out, Gary Johnson and i agree on many things, far more then BO or mittsy the demon.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

It can happen if some of the people that have stated they are not voting will get out there and take the time to do so. Sometimes you have to play the long game to effect change.

I truly hope GJ gets the 5% the future of the nation depends on it.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
So, which party, outside of libertarian ideology, has the fiscal conservatives? They seem to be a breed outside the mainstream, except in rhetoric. Surely conservatism is about more than just minding everyone else's business. Or am I mistaken? I would hope that is the brand we may be losing soon.

edit on 5-11-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Its funny, all the Bull Crap Breitbart threads trying to sway people, Dem threads defending Obama.

And a Thread about the Future with a Libertarian Party is the Thread to make you Stop and Think, about your Vote.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I'm totally with you OP.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I've voted for both GOP and Dems so I feel I have some bi-partisan perspective.

The fact is the GOP would rather argue about what is true than how to fix anything and they would rather cling to their antiquated ideals than to be pragmatic.

They do nothing but pander to the marginal fringe. I guess that's where their money base is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join