It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick and tired of netflix (nothing good posted in months)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

For kids you can just turn on the cartoon network.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I have had Netflix streaming with 2 DVDs for years! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Netflix! I was always bad about returning movies on time so this is perfect for me. I keep movies sometimes for weeks and no penalty!

I don't have cable and find my Netflix to be the best $23 a month I have ever spent. I paid over 100 for cable and NEVER found anything worth watching.

There are good things on there you have to look for them! Add the dvds it's worth it!

What do you like to watch? What are your interests? It helps if you rate movies and do their little tests, that is how you get more in your suggestion box. I spend too much time figuring out what to watch. My instant queue has over 300 movies/shows/docus in it and my DVD queue has over 100!

Now for shows that are current i purchase them individually on Amazon instant for $2 an episode. It's much cheaper than what I would have paid for the premium programming. I buy 3 episodes a week which is $6 and $24 for the month! I own all the episodes and can watch them whenever I want. It's so much cheaper! I had to find alternate ways to enjoy my shows, which there aren't many I enjoy. I also use the networks websites to watch shows and Hulu (free), only thing with Hulu are the commercials. I tried the free Hulu Plus and didn't like it so I stuck with the free and deal with the commercials. They are only 90 secs so it's not that bad.

I currently watch Gossip Girl, Fringe and Dexter online. Dexter isn't on Amazon yet so I watch it on another site that i have used for years. It streams instantly with no downloading. I use to pay $25 a month for Showtime and they never had anything good on!

Don't give up on Netflix!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
I like a couple of TV shows/series that they have.

Their movie selection sucks, at-least on the instant queue. They may have move movies on DVD but who wants to wait 3 or 4 days?

Wow impatient much?! Do you really need it at that moment? It also doesn't take that long to get a movie. I can send out my Netflix on a Monday and get the new ones on Wednesday, that ISNT bad at all! There is always a full day in between from sending out and receiving new Netflix DVDs. If I have problems I call them and they are the most helpful customer service ever. I was watching SG1 on streaming and noticed there were major episodes out of order. How did I know this? I own the box set and was watching those episodes and went to streaming to watch in my room. I called and within a couple days they fixed it. I have even had problems with movies being scratched and when I called they sent my next two movies out even though I had two already.

Netflix isn't that bad!

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Thats great if you like watching two or more year old shows.To me flix implies movies.Not old shows that have already been on T.V.The DVDS are different they are more current,

It sounds like you want to save money,the best way to do that is go to the library get DVDS there.I would like it better.If it was named net-reruns,at least it would be a honest title.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

I quit both netflix and lovefilm earlier this year.

Both are a waste of time.

netflix is fine for certain tv shows and some decent indy films, but generally it's just really bad.
You can find better films on youtube for free and elsewhere.

I'm talking about streaming only
edit on 5/11/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

We keep it mainly for the TV series and documentaries. Every once in awhile, some good older movies will pop in there. I'd recommend perusing the documentaries section. There is some really good content there. Anyway, it's worth it to my family to keep the streaming membership. We do current DVDs from Family Video (it's a regional thing), which happens to be conveniently located for us. Actually, there's more stuff on Netflix streaming I'd like to see than I have time to watch.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
A major determinant of the selection Netflix has to offer is directly related to competing companies and the studios who own the programs. Comcast has been fighting Netflix for some time now, and currently, Amazon is in a heated competition with Netflix. But bottom line is that the companies who own the programming can do as they wish... which leads to a control of what we are "allowed" to view.

Evil Comcast Trying to Control Everything

Evil Comcast Won't Offer Netflix

Netflix VS Amazon VS Studios

I will say that I've had some streaming issues with Netflix now and then, but I'd rather put up with that than pay for a bajillion useless channels where I'm essentially paying out the butt to watch commercials.

I also recommend Korean film and drama series. Story development (or a story at all) is generally far and beyond the regurgitated crap that American airwaves are spewing.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

The removed Dexter. One of the things that pissed me off about Netflix. I was wrapping up season 3 when it was yanked. That wasn't annoying.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

The removed Dexter. One of the things that pissed me off about Netflix. I was wrapping up season 3 when it was yanked. That wasn't annoying.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I went to Amazon Prime because I was not happy with Netflix, but they don't keep a big selection of movies either.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Netflix was a landmark company that had the video world in teh palm of its hands till it made some very, very bad decisons.

First, a year ago, instead of one price, it split the streaming and the dvd rentals, making people having to pay seperately. They reversed it,but it left a huge black mark on its record.

The CEO tried to kill the dvd, thinking that it will decline and be outmoded, but dvd rentals made 55% of his business. Streaming, only 10%.

Netflix selection tanked after the contract ended with Starz. Which means it also lost Pixar and Disney movies. This was only partially their fault, as STarz always wants premium pricing, and Netflix didn't want to do it.

Bascially Starz doesn't want movies to be affordable.

So not only did Starz want Netflix to start a tier fee for their products, they weren't giving new releases to Netflix, so people had to wait for new releases of shows for 3-4 months anyways.

yet the CEO of Netflix brushed off Starz, sayign that their content didn't comprise that much of their rentals.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
IMO Netflix is terrible.......I got so tired of new movie releases on instant streaming choices being the likes of Howard the Duck, and Raiders of the Lost Ark and other 30 or so year old movies. The dvd selection isnt much better. Got rid of Netflix a few years ago.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by papazen
And the quality is horrible. No sense in having HD tv and watching netflix movies

What are you watching netflix through? I use my Xbox, turn the system settings to 1080 i or p, and It looks incredible. It depends on your connection i guess.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I download torrents. I use Rotten Tomatoes to find what is in dvd and pick whatever has good reviews, then use Torrentz.com to download in combination with Bitcomet. Much better than Netflix and free.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
It's actually not Netflix's fault.

First some major ISP's began throttling their bandwidth a few years back.
Then they got sued and attacked by major production companies and their titles pulled.

Netflix was an amazing thing.
Sorry to see them going down the hole.

They are good for anime, some TV shows and quite a few good foreign films, as well as documentaries.
But for blockbuster movies, not anymore.
edit on 5-11-2012 by porschedrifter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I prefer Hulu, but I mostly watch t.v. shows and they do really well at keeping up with current content.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I think for the price they're worth it. I could get the newer movies and shows streaming on Vudu, iTunes, xbox video, playstation video or on demand for $4-$12 but I like to save money so instead of the cheapest estimate of $4/video x 5 a month when I know I watch more than 5 a month it's cost effective for me to have the streaming + 1dvd for $15 a month and every few months I might drop the streaming part of my plan to save a little and just keep 1 dvd out at a time or bump it up to 2 dvd's out at at time. Even with just dvd's from them I watch them and return them within a day or two so I end up getting at least 9 discs a month which is what about $1 a rental and they include shipping both ways? Add in Hulu for another $8 or so dollars a month it's still better than paying $60-100+ for a cable package just to watch tv.

I think netflix has a nice selection of shows that I want to watch: Animes, Independent films, foreign films, Korean Drama's, science shows, and BBC tv shows but I also have that 2nd streaming service of hulu for same week tv airing. I dropped cable a few years ago for netflix + Hulu and haven't regretted it one bit. They play on multiple devices, I can watch at friends or family members houses, laptop and phone access and 2 streams at the same time saved my husband and I hours of boredom on a layover and at the dmv through my phone. 1st world problem of Hulu won't work on my phone and I'm not thrilled with the commercials in Hulu especially all the political ones right now and the fact there are so many commercials per show/movie I'm spending less a month on entertainment than I do on tea and I get new episodes and can make a favorites list. I know they have a new arrivals section which I sometimes look at and Instant watcher will let you search by year . As far as content goes they're supposed to be adding more yahoo said netflix is adding Dreamworks content on in 2013 and if there is something I don't see but I want I just give them a call and they send that request to their people. I asked for revenge and season 1 came out on their streaming, I asked for more scifi and drama episodes and newer seasons got added. Have you tried giving them a call and requesting shows or movies you want?

If you are only interested in TV shows, many stations have free episodes online like comedy central, abc, scifi, pbs, etc.

The only thing that I want that neither have yet content wise is HBO but based on online searches HBO refuses to sell the rights to anyone or sell their HBO go as a standalone free service because they make more profits by whatever deals they have with the cable&satellite providers. techcrunch hbo go without hbo I would rather have to wait 1 or 2 days after the season ends to get them in the mail and keep my cost low instead of buying movies or episodes I'm only going to watch once or twice. Brand new movies I can get on dvd almost immediately if not immediately when they're released to dvd/blue ray. Who wants to see them in a theater where you risk having the noisy moviegoers or crying baby interrupting something you paid and insane amount for something like $15 per person for imax? no thanks! Snuggly pjs and a bowl of homemade popcorn with my husband sounds much better. I might give redbox another try in a few months but I haven't had luck with them. Every disk I've received has been scratched to where it won't load or plays for awhile and then can't get past a point in the movie. I already drove once to get it and have to return it within 24 hrs to have it only cost $1. I don't even know of any movie rental places around me other than blockbuster and they have a pretty sparse selection, everything they have I have been able to get in my dvd q so why bother with gas money when it's over $3 a gallon everywhere.

Summary yes they might not have the newest stuff streaming but they have a good selection for the price and even more on dvd which isn't that much more to add on.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I know right,,Lets see there is "Limitless" that I thought was really good,,,"Lost" kept me busy for a few weeks,,besides some documentaries it is pretty lame..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join