It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do not read if you believe

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Why do people believe in God? there is nooooooooooo proof! no one alive today has ever seen Jesus. and if God is so good why: world war 1+2, vietnam war,cold war, all the other wars i don't know about, killing, guns,weopons, depression, famine, everything!?! all we have to go on is a few scraps of evidence!!! For all we know the bible could have been written by a storyteller. seriously people, i could say: if god is really there he will give me a sign and nothing will happen! See i just did! if you believe then convince me!

[edit on 20/10/04 by Atomix]

[edit on 30/10/04 by Atomix]

[edit on 30/10/04 by Atomix]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
It's called faith, and people invest a lot into it. And in truth, just because you asked for a sign doesn't mean God is going to make a monkey run into your apartment dressed up in a Pokodot dress and dance for you.

Bad things happen because Hate Excist. Hate didn't Excist, The Debil wouldn't have fell from Heaven. You can't have true freedom without having both sides. If you have one side then partial of the other, that's supressing one side.

If there is a God, he's cruel. He left us after the death of his only Son and hasn't been back to help us. Maybe, just maybe, you can piss of a being that's supposdley nothing but love? But anywho, to people beliefing in God, no proof is proof.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Yeah he is cruel IF he exists. but believe what you want but if Jesus was supposed to tell everyone about God and convert them how come there are like a billion other religons?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
Why do people believe in God? there is nooooooooooo proof! no one alive today has ever seen Jesus. and if God is so good why: world war 1+2, vietnam war,cold war, all the other wars i don't know about, killing, guns,weopons, depression, famine, everything!?! all we have to go on is a few scraps of evidence!!! For all we know the bible could have been written by a storyteller. seriously people, i could say: if god is really there he will give me a sign and nothing will happen! See i just did! if you believe then convince me!

[edit on 20/10/04 by Atomix]

I'm not religious, but I'll try to answer anyway

1. You don't have to have proof to believe in something, that goes without saying. Religious folks don't claim to have proof, they just believe in a God.

2. WW 1 and 2 are our own mistakes. God created us, but he doesn't control us. He is no puppet master and we are not puppets. he created us, but we create our own future. Same goes with famine, terror and all bad things that we create.

3. Give you a sign? Why would he be interested in that? You choose your own ways, simple as that.

I'm not convinced there is a force that created the universe, but I don't rule out the possibility. If there is, then I don't think he gives a # whether we are christians, muslims, hindus, atheists or whatever. I think he just means for us to live full lives, exploring our possibilities and abilities as human beings, and to love and be good to one another.

[edit on 2004-10-20 by EyesOfTheFuture]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   

For all we know the bible could have been written by a storyteller.

The bible is a collection of writings from many different people, it wasn�t written by one man. The Old Testament has 30 authors and the New Testament has 10. So you can�t say that it was fiction written by one �storyteller�. As to the validity of the book you will need to decide for yourself, it�s a matter of faith.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
If you want proof, here's how to get it. Seek and you will find. I was at one time unsure if he was there or not. So I looked and prayed and looked some more. I got my answer, but it wasn't an overnight one - it took years. It took a lot of time and most importantly - it took sincerity. You will find it if you truly want to and your answer will be very personal and unexplainable to others. If you are not sincere, then don't waste your time. Atheists have already made up their minds, so nothing will ever be shown to them, many that do believe follow faith blindly. Look for yourself and don't look for the answer in other people.

I laugh at those who say he doesn't exist because it is obvious that they either didn't look very hard or were not sincere enough.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I agree with EyesOfTheFuture. I believe something created it all to excist outside of an area that we are immortal. I have my own reasons for believing their is an immortal Human Spirit/Soul, but whether or not that's due to one Supreme Being, I have no idea.

In all reallity, I believe Religions were made to Overcome the strong body weak mind. You wonder why most witch doctors and such are skinny, seemingly weak people when yo usee them? Guess what their Ancestors did to overcome that, create a fear in people that if you make a mistake of being bad in this life, your Immortal Soul will be tormented for the rest of time with no stopping.

I do not believe that, I don't believe if someone created us, they'd allow us to Immortaly burn because we screwed up. Human's are the most egotistcal and ignorant species on the planet, we mess up. I think you do get other chances till you get it right.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
God didn't start WWI or II or III, man did...
God gave us free will, the greatest gift anyone can give you, FREEDOM.
It's up to us what we do with it.
You can't blame God for the suffering man causes.
And you can't expect God to fix all our mistakes.
We are here on Earth to learn, not to be controlled.
We Humans are very spiritual creatures, we need it as much as we need food. Without it I don't think we would survive very long.
I think we are loosing our spirituality and look at the mess the world is getting in.
If there is no "God" then what is the point of life?

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by godservant
If you want proof, here's how to get it. Seek and you will find. I was at one time unsure if he was there or not. So I looked and prayed and looked some more. I got my answer, but it wasn't an overnight one - it took years. It took a lot of time and most importantly - it took sincerity. You will find it if you truly want to and your answer will be very personal and unexplainable to others. If you are not sincere, then don't waste your time. Atheists have already made up their minds, so nothing will ever be shown to them, many that do believe follow faith blindly. Look for yourself and don't look for the answer in other people.

I laugh at those who say he doesn't exist because it is obvious that they either didn't look very hard or were not sincere enough.

If you look in a desert long enough, you begin to think you see an Oasis, even if it doesn't excist.

[edit on 20-10-2004 by RabidGoose]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
AI agree that we are losing our spirituality. here in Ireland the number of new priests in 2001 was someting like 200 and this year its just 20.
Sooner or later no one will believe anymore.
And by the way i'm not trying to offend anyone here i'm just expressing my opinion.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
God....

either IS....

or IS NOT.....

It is quite a chasm that lies between the shore of reason.....

and the shore of faith.

It takes some a lifetime to make the leap, some make it in days or weeks, for some it is a sudden experience, others it is of the educational variety over time.....

for some, they remain the atheist until the end.

Do you wish to believe Abraham, Moses, Isaac, Muhammad, Buddah, Christ, Mother Theresa, the Bible, Koran, Torah, the Pope, all the Saints, all the believers of antiquity, are wrong? That is your business.

My suggestion is this, if one wishes to find the eternal reality, one must look within, in the final analysis, it is deep down within ourselves that HE is to be found.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
That is because God is everything, that means God is both Good and Evil.
Peoples believe in God because they don't know how to save them self.

Some believe that God must be an "all good" person but that doesn't have to be true at all.

I personaly believe in a God, but one that used to be just a normal being like you and me. The more we learn about science the more plausible it seems that we were "created" by an intelligent Alien being.

Try to transfer your self to the old ages, Imagine how much those peoples knew about science etc. Compare that to what you know today about science and technology. What we c an do today will look like magic for those in the acient times. So I think that the God they were talking about is nothing more but an Intelligent ET.

If we could travel to other solar systems and find a earth like planet with an undeveloped population, they'd see us as gods, because we can do things they won't understand. Imagine we had genetic engineering technologies and "fixed" living things. They'd for sure think we created everything. Some of us will be so greedy that they'd act as if they're gods indeed, and feel great them self.

Of course there is always a chance that it's not like that at all, but most things we know today point to that direction.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TigeriS
So I think that the God they were talking about is nothing more but an Intelligent ET.
That is what I think part of the Bible refers to as well, considering the Bible to be an ancient account of past lives.

But, I think that the only true God, as an eternal force, is found within. He/she/it is not outside of you, God is within you, he/she/it can act through you if you allow God to. You become the cup where God pours his eternal force.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by RabidGoose

Originally posted by godservant

If you look in a desert long enough, you begin to think you see an Oasis, even if it doesn't excist.

Thats funny. True it is, but you are talking about tricks being played on your eyes. I am not talking about looking with your eyes.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
well to me, if men need an onmipotent being and its son to do good and not live like an ape, then so be it but i see it as very weak minded and weak willed to feel like you HAVE to believe in such a thing to do right. i mean what the hell would people do if there were proof that everything evolved and no such being could ever exist(highly unlikely that would happen). people would go into a freakin frenzy. i dont think its healthy to put all your chips in one basket, its dillusional to think absolutely one over the other and in the future im sure it will prove to be dangerous.
yin/yang
if there is a being that embraces everything than it probably evolved from something or nothing. i dont believe you can have one without the other. who knows maybe the story book, excuse me, the bible, was strictly for this planet and this current civilazation, maybe something did create us specifically to evolve, but not the entire universe or universes.
there are just way to many questions and personally to argue is fun but is like running towards the end of an infinite road. you might have fun on the way but its still pointless.
lets just let science do its thing and hopefully they will help the world before they destroy it, or rather the people who fund the scientist and not the scientist make the proper decisions but lets be for real. this world is doomed and i dont see anything stopping it. even if science could make every human being on earth a freakin superhero, it just wouldnt happen because all the jerk offs wont have power over everyone and cant fill there mind with dillusional talks about freedom and choice.
ill depend on myself alone for the time being, because in the end, the only person who can protect me 100% is myself and depending on another human being who is succeptable to all the emotions and crap that we all go through is to iffy.
hopefully i can intend myself into something more evolved then the piece of meat i am now and stay safe from the terds of society. who knows, maybe there is a subterranean world of super humans just waiting for my arrival, so i can chill sit back and watch the world destroy and rebuild itself again, yay

plus why is god always considered to be a man by humanity and not just a being or an it, see religion has to much crap in it for me and so do most human beings, hope im not turning into a mysanthrope(spell check on that)

hmm cant say a hole in here

[edit on 20-10-2004 by jimmy1200]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Existence is amazing. We are surrounded by the surreal and the unexplainable. Man knows just a little bit more than absolutely nothing about anything.

Solids, liquids, gasses, and energy. Everything in the universe consists of the same ingredients vibrating at different frequencies and having different masses.

Genes, DNA, sex, fire, concrete... It's all so architecturally astounding. We made God in our own image, in our limitless vanity. If you want to see God, look around - He is the Universe. Don't underestimate that.

In the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, there is a torture device that shows a viewer the entire Universe all at once. Imagine that. You can't. You can't even begin to. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try, though.

We are all part of something big and we need to respect that. Does God exist? Without a doubt - you just need to determine what God is. Is he the Universe in all its expanse? Is he a gray bearded man-looking entity sitting in heaven? Is he the energy that binds everyone and everything together? Did he create the Universe? Did he create himself? Is he more of a persona or an entity? Is he an aggregate of thoughts, emotions, and conscious activity? Does God know of himself?

That's up to you to decide. For me, science and religion are closely bound, and I have some things figured out, but I am certainly not at the end of my quest. Anyone searching is not wasting their time.

Zip

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Look for God, pray asking for the truth. If it turns out not to be so, what have you lost? I'm sure you'll be surprised with the answer though.

Originally posted by Zipdot

Solids, liquids, gasses, and energy. Everything in the universe consists of the same ingredients vibrating at different frequencies and having different masses.

Funny you should mention this! I've been thinking about it over the last couple days. Specifically how God spoke things into being - the vibration of voice and such. Since there's no sound in space, was it vibration that created the universe? Was there once sound before it was created? What is the vibration of thought? Or is there another way of speaking we're unfamiliar with?

In the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, there is a torture device that shows a viewer the entire Universe all at once. Imagine that. You can't. You can't even begin to. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try, though.

I love the Hitchhiker's series and though I'm sure I'm gonna catch heat for it, I liked Mostly Harmless mostly of all *ducks*.

That's up to you to decide. For me, science and religion are closely bound, and I have some things figured out, but I am certainly not at the end of my quest. Anyone searching is not wasting their time.

Zip

Agreed agreed

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I am not Christian....I do believe in an all powerful, creating energy/being. In my faith people think we pray to many Gods...we don't, or at least many of us don't. we pray to the different 'aspects' of the one energy/being, who is all things, both positive and negative, masculine and feminine. This energy/being is the universe and the universe is the energy/being.... I simply pray to the "Lord and Lady" two aspects of one being. I do not believe that our God/dess "lets" thing happen, those are of man.....you may want to do some study on different religions in order to find your faith...there is only one all powerful /energy being, and everyone fights over which is the best way to worship it. I believe that the bible, not "the" Christian, but going back to original texts... holds many truths for us all, but unfortunately man has taken it and chopped it up added and deleted so much from it to suit himself it's true message is lost for the most, and the majority of people don't bother to dig deeper....they simply believe whatever the current preacher/minister/priest has to tell them and what they read in their chopped up added to and deleted from, bible. To believe there is no master energy at work within the universe, is not to really see the magnificent structure of the universe, of our body...precision!...but we each have to it for ourselves....not everyone is at the same level of belief/consciousness/learning....we are all on a different learning path from each other in our current incarnation...that you are asking this questions, shows that you are at a crossroads

Ok...I'm rambling now so I'll go shut up now.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Why do people believe in God? there is nooooooooooo proof! no one alive today has ever seen Jesus.

Oh yes there are!!! I know for a fact that there is at least one ATS member here who has seen Jesus, but I'm not going to mention any names...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Faith my friend. Just like we have faith in science, I have faith in God. What is science, other then waiting for a present theory to be falsified. Science comes up with some of the craziest ideas in the world, without knowing hardly anything about what is really going on. Just because something can't be proved wrong doesn't mean its right. Just because something can't be proved doesn't mean its not there. Science is faith just like belief in God.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join