It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution and Progress - Evidence of us living a Simulation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I want to address a hot topic with some views of my own.

Ever since I read about the theory of us being a simulation done by another advanced civilization, I've been fascinated by the whole concept. I realize that the theory is based on an assumption of alien life which has not yet been proven to exist, but if we forget that minor detail and let me rant off a bit.

The theory of multiple dimensions (universes) has always intrigued my mind. Even the thought of something so amazing makes me shiver. All the way from ancient texts to contemporary science leads to these fantastic ideas of parallels or multiverses around us. In this case it would be a simulation in a simulation in a simulation...

Watch out for the text to come, it might contain some wild thoughts.

I asked myself, what if I'd create a simulation? Would I get it right at the first time? Probably not. If I'd have the technology to simulate a vast Universe I'd probably have a lot of knowledge about it. But I would probably not know everything. So I'd start with a model of the Creation. In this case, the Big Bang. I think that the coded matrix in the beginning would definitely show my understanding of the Universe I live in, so I'd copy my knowledge to the simulation and let it run. As I'd learn more, I would code it in my simulation. Or, if something went wrong in the program, I would rewrite and correct. Is this what is happening as we speak? As we learn more, do we in fact pressure our creator to write in some new code to satisfy our findings?

Am I wrong or has evolution ever taken 'small' steps or has the advances always been major? For example giraffes with short necks. Doesn't it shout out a coding error? I can here 'a geek' shouting out loud: Scheit! What was I thinking, those animals can't survive there because of short necks. And what happens next, short necked giraffes die and a major leap is made. There's plenty of these examples but I believe you understand what I'm trying to tell here.

And what about our planet. In the beginning a big lump of landmass together. One united ecosystem. What a crazy idea, so there is a swing put to it and the masses divide. All these big events happening in the beginning of the coding, and the further we get the finer the tuning gets. Now we are at a state, and have been for a while where all the laws of physics etc have been established. (Until we reach points where some more coding has to be done) It's time for small things to get tuned. And that is due to our pressure on the system. We have picked up speed and developed on our own. We are getting the hang of it. We are searching for smaller and smaller particles, really testing the knowledge and imagination of the Creator. What if we catch up with him or the program? Is that the time for ascension? Or is that a moment of 'game over'... Or is that when the Creator starts to learn from us? Or when we take control of the program? And by that time we live in a perfect action-reaction environment? Where we create as we speak. Avra kedabra. "In the beginning there was a word".

Is that old and many times quoted sentence in fact a reference to coding? How else would it be possible to create with words?

What about lost civilizations 'deleted', vanished without trace. Only buildings left behind without any knowledge how they disappeared. We really can't tell if we are simulated or not. We couldn't tell the difference until there would be a fine tuning of a natural law that we all are familiar with. And that we would have records of which couldn't be erased by the Creator.

I know these ideas aren't new, but my experience with this subject and these thoughts is. And it is really, really interesting. I think it would scare the majority of the people to learn about being simulated, but how does actually differ from being created by God? Does it make you less real? You would be a creation anyway? What about those who believe in a Soul where we all originate from? Then we would know we all have interconnections. We would all be from the same matrix.

I could go on all night but maybe this is my first stop. I hope I will get some company on this topic!

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
If we're a simulation then I hope the dude running the computer has good antivirus, coz us humans sure will mess with his operating system

What if he suffers a blackout, will he reboot and it all starts again at the big bang?

If we are a simulation then nothing is real and this isnt me typing on my keyboard

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

How would we not be real? You would still be a part of something, created with something, contain something. What would be the difference to your current state? Your beliefs? Your illusions? I think we would never know. Unless there would be a major change that we would recognize.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
If the universe is infinite, or there are infinite other universes, then maths and probability support the position that we 'almost certainly' live in a simulation. Not only that but the universe in which we have been simulated is itself a simulation. And this simulation is inside another simulation which is inside another simulation...ad infinitum. You've just got to accept it and not let it affect your life.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
If we're a simulation then I hope the dude running the computer has good antivirus, coz us humans sure will mess with his operating system

Although said in jest this is a very interesting concept to me and something i've pondered over for years. Here's how i think it works.

The top levels of the NWO know that we are in a simulation and they see it as a game to be won. i.e if we're in a simulation there must be some rules and some purpose (even if that purpose is amusement) to the simulation. They believe they know this purpose and/or the mind of God (the simulator). The purpose is to win and 'do as thou wilt shall be the shoe of the law' is the mantra. Morality is for the sheep.

The elites end game is not to set up a world government dictatorship for the control of humanity's future. Thats just the end of the beginning of their plans. These people want to get the attention of the simulator by winning the simulation or being so big and badass that they cant be ignored by him/her. Once they have done this they feel that they will have deserved and earned the right to step beyond the laws of physics of this universe and to transcend/ascend into the next simulated universe up the ladder of realities.

Then after that they want to win the next simulation, and the next and the next....

Until the elites succeed in there goal they are stuck in this simulation just like us. As such they are at risk, and not only susceptible to death in the same way as the rest of us, but are acutely aware that they are also vulnerable to the simulation crashing, getting infected, or being rebooted, or it winding down to nothing. They believe theres no life after death in this world/simulation.

This is why the elites are so obsessed with life extension technologies, and so determined to keep those technologies from the populace. So while they wait for what could be a very long time to ascend to the next higher reality they concern themselves down here with becoming immortal and/or being able to transfer consciousness from old frail bodies to knew young ones. These are what is needed if you are going to expand from one cradle to control the entire universe.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by merkins

An interesting take on the idea
I still ponder if it even matters if we are simulated or not because it won't change anything. If we knew.... well, it's like telling a dolphin it's not a fish... it wouldn't matter.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by merkins

Well, that makes a lot of sense, I dont know whether I hope its true...or not

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I've often thought about this. How would we know if we were in a simulation?

Suppose we eventually create computers sophisticated and powerful enough to model cognition, molecular matter, the laws of physics, time, etc. and make it complex enough that emergent behavior can evolve unpredictably within the simulation. Provided the simulated sentient life forms in the simulation were sufficiently complex and had enough self-contained feedback loops and awareness of the rest of the simulation around them, they for all intents and purposes would perceive themselves as flesh and blood creatures with their own thoughts, feelings, choices, and lives.

Of course, in objective reality, all of their thoughts, feelings, choices, and even dreams would simply be the mechanistic consequences of the myriad interacting facets of the simulation generating emergent systems and behaviors. But they would have no way to know this.

If they eventually developed tools capable of using the simulated laws of the universe (or the rules of the program, if you prefer) to peer deeper into their existence, they might in theory find fundamental packets of information and energy with wave properties (whatever powers the system supporting or running the simulation,) specific rules governing all of time and space (the rules of the program or perhaps the programming itself,) and maybe even an abstract, undefinable "medium" in which all of this seemed to exist (what we call membranes in certain cosmological theories, and in their case, the computer screen or perhaps even holographic construct their simulated universe manifests in... they could never see or interact with this medium because it would be outside of the simulation, but its existence would be implied by their otherwise irreducible findings) comprising the very fabric of their reality itself.

Hmmm. Much as we do, in some senses. It really makes me wonder.
edit on 11/3/2012 by AceWombat04 because: Typos

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

You nailed it. Absolutely my thought but in a much better English that I'm able to write

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnWhiteMars
reply to post by merkins

An interesting take on the idea
I still ponder if it even matters if we are simulated or not because it won't change anything. If we knew.... well, it's like telling a dolphin it's not a fish... it wouldn't matter.

Aah but if we are in a simulation, literally anything, could change literally anything, at literally any given moment. Meaning that this reality as a simulation is subject to arbitrary change and arbitrary rule change. Something that an evolved/evolving and non-simulated universe would not be subject to.

So in the simulation you could go to bed one night wishing so hard that your lottery numbers come up the next day and wake to find out that they have. Treat it like a game. We don't know where all the bonuses or the power-ups, or the ester eggs are, or how many levels there are but it doesn't mean we can't find them.

So a simulated universe has the potential to be materially changed by the acts of one 'character' far more than a non-simulated reality would be. We have more freedom and more opportunity to change and positively affect our lives and universe as a whole in a simulation than would be the case otherwise. I look upon this as an exhilarating and freeing concept.

Perhaps one day i perform a heroic act and as a result the simulator notices me and offers me the reward of a space cruise around the galaxy if i keep quite about it afterwards. Maybe one day I devise something that improves mankind's lot and that gets noticed too, hell perhaps somewhere around my house are hidden power ups maybe even a medikit. With a simulation anything is possible! Much more fun than a naturally occurring evolving universe with a lll its laws of physics.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by merkins

Possible, but what if the simulation were a sealed one, governed only by specific rules and allowed to progress naturally without intervention? An experiment to see what a simulated universe would develop into given enough time and without tampering beyond the initiation of the program. It boggles the mind to consider, but what if they could simulate an entire universal history from Big Bang to whatever the final state turns out to be, in minutes. From the perspective of those inside the simulation, time passes normally. But outside, it's like The Sims on fast forward.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

The perception of time is the neat deal in this. Because we don't even know how we would experience it in a near-by galaxy with a little bit different properties.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
What if we really are in a simulation, and hurricane Sandy was just god cleaning out the computer with aerosol duster?

All joking aside, this is an interesting thread. I enjoyed reading every post

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Star and flag to OP for thinking...there are not many ideas in the world left that someone hasn't thought before us.
But original thought comes to individuals at different times...the great collective unconscious?
Mostly really meaningful concepts are not discussed by the mainstream..we prefer to read a book or watch a movie about it years later.
It then becomes banal by then?
Simulated lives could be real too.
Reincarnation could be a chance for sinners to correct things...without affecting their victims over end over?
Great thread thanks.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

I agree with you. First of all, these kind of topics scare the *bleep* out of the majority of people. And then there are those who are willing to read and discuss, but have a very sceptic and narrow view. And then we who either are convinced we are living a simulation or have at least the will to consider the possibility. Points for us in this case, I think it is foolish to close your eyes only because a subject is a bit 'unfamiliar'.

This is a thought-bringer. You could melt your brain with it. But as a matter of fact, isn't it the same with the old philosophical 'why are we here'-question?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OnWhiteMars

Espescially as there is a reason.
Yet we just keep on watching that TV ..espescially with the history channel and discovery plus all the EPL games.
We keep going to that job we hate to feed our familys we rarely see.
And do we speak to God?We
Do we meditate?
Do we get up in the middle of the night and go outside and watch the sky?
The search is discouraged ...by our friends ....the pTbs.
Not by accident?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

It takes a lot of courage to do what your heart wants. I made that decision for a couple of months ago and quit my day job. Now I'm doing exactly what I always wanted to. I get time with my kids and I even have time to study the topics I want to.

I know the other one of these videos have been presented here, but it is so astounding that I will link it here anyways. The first one is from my undergoing project... sorry for the offtopic post but I had to

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Even such a simulated universe would still be subject to the arbitrary actions I mentioned before. Who ever built/runs/controls it has the power to change things if they so choose. Just because a simulation is set up not to be interred with, it doesn't mean it won't or can't be at a later date.

I created a civilisation in a computer game intending to complete the entire game in one long continuous go. But less than half way through I said to myself why not go back to the beginning and start again with the lessons i've now learned.

I feel that being in a simulation is exciting. Something amazing could happen at any moment simply because the simulation operator makes one change. I reckon all sorts of quantum weirdness could be explained with this model too. Also, it would seem to me that there would be a greater number of universes that were created with a purpose than ones that weren't. Giving us the tantalising possibility of one day knowing the meaning of life, the universe and everything.

new topics

top topics

join