It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using the position of ignorance to oppose Christianity

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by elias

Here are three examples off of the internet of some (I'm not saying ALL) Christians still holding that belief:

Sinning the cause of Acne

Acne - The Mark of the Devil

Jesus Christ and your Acne

Edited to add: Just going to thrown down a prediction and say even though I have provided proof it is not good enough.
edit on 11/4/2012 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MonkeyFishFrog

Well I apologize if you felt offended I merely used your post to illustrate the OPs point. I am not cherry picking here either. You are seeing the exoteric but dismissing the esoteric information. This is ok and is quite common because most people, Christians included, do not know how to study the bible.

Google occult or esoteric meanings behind left handedness. Walking the left hand path etc. This is an idea people adopt themselves not something forced on them by others. The ignorance of people who take everything literally is the root of this thread. I am not singling anyone out here but I find people try to refute the bible with literal interpretations and seldom do they see the underlying use of symbols to convey an esoteric meaning.

If we get into genetics as you have begun consider what the bible mentions about the nephilhim and the host of theories about their decedents having genetic markers to identify them. Stature, 6 fingers on the hand, etc. To me the OT has much to do with God showing his ways through his followers separating and refining them and pulling them away from the heathen cultures that were in positions of power. Preserving his people and protecting them from some form of genetic corruption/interbreeding. This is one view of events with a myriad of other overlapping meanings.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NihilistSanta

It comes down to interpretation of the Bible verses and there lies the problem. The verses that all negatively reference the left hand led to centuries of discrimination against people whose dominant hand was not the right. I have relatives who had their hands tied behind their back when they were in school to try and force right handedness. This is all rooted in Bible teachings and interpretations.

Same with blemishes. The Bible is not specific as to which exact blemishes are the ones meant to reveal sin so it is up to the reader to think that it is pimples or not pimples... scars but not scars and so forth. No standardization of beliefs, no standardization when it comes to defining it either.

We might as well jump right into the main one that is going around today and that is the condemnation of homosexuality. There is proof there is a biological component (feminine and masculine brain structures) for sexual and romantic attraction of the same sex.

If the brain scans were to determine the health of the brain then it is acceptable Science but if it calls into question an area of the Bible, well there is no merit in that science or that particular study.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I am not going to get too much into homosexuality but I will say that Christianity is not the only religion to have issues with it. Life is a creative force and we are commanded to create life by multiplying. Gods plan for the Jews would not have worked out if they were a society of homosexuals. No Jesus Christ to be born through the bloodline etc.

You say the information would be condemned or denied in that study but this isnt just Christians. If you were a proponent of homosexuality and I introduced scientific findings that linked BPA dispersal or exposure as a cause for homosexuality in modern times you would disagree with the findings because you believe it to be a natural occurrence. This isn't about which camp you fall in to but a lack of critical thinking and an overabundance of bias and agenda that prevents people from making rational decisions or allowing them to change their views.

I think we can safely agree that there are ignorant, stubborn, politically or ideologically motivated people in all strata and segments of society but we cant allow the actions or interpretations of some to be the basis for disregarding entire belief/value systems.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

You really can't sense sarcasm, can you.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
You should read 'The Christ Conspiracy' - By Acharya S
Please don't be a sheep and dismiss the suggestion simply because of the word ' conspiracy' in the title.
It holds a lot of great information that should really be common knowledge.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by georgiaboy

No it isn't a crime to have and live by a moral code.

It is wrong though, to insist that everyone else follow your specific moral code or go to hell. Using religious politicians to enforce "your", moral code on others, which is what the vast majority of christians do, is also wrong..!!

You do have the right to live by your moral code, as dose everyone else.

You don't have the right to remove science from schools and enforce creationism (as some cgristian groups are calling for).

If christians truly were to live and let live and not intefere with other peoples lives, christians would not be as hated as they are today.

The push to convert and harrass people until they give in, and all the other stuff christians do, is what has given christianity a bad name.

It's actually kinda funny, to see christians asking for a fair go, when they are so unwilling to give others the same rights.

In a nutshell, christians are very ignorant and also very arrogant too..
edit on 11/5/2012 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join