It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Government spends enough on welfare to give every poor household $60,000

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

I agree. It kinda gets under my skin when all government money is lumped into "welfare". TANF is not the same as SSD/SSI. Unemployment is not the same as WIC. How VA retirements and social security retirement became welfare I have no idea.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Despite the misrepresentation in the numbers, as mentioned above, one thing that seems to get lost in this argument is that people in this level of poverty don't tend to save at all. The totality of their benefits goes straight into the economy and directly into the veins of businesses.

This is why Republican owned grocery store chains happily accept food stamps.

The upper class can play these word games for political ends. But when it's all said and done, they'll never take the butter from off of their own bread. The economy would crash and crash hard if that much money were taken out of circulation - if the conservative rhetoric were ever to actually come true. The rich would suffer the consequences right along with the poor.

~Heff

What a great post.........if I gather this correctly, people on the dole are needed to boost economy. If the poor did not get handouts, it would hurt business...people get enough to just get by, and to keep consumerism and businesses afloat. Very astute of you!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Only a Trillion$ a year on welfare?
Seems low to me.
Banks only got a petty $18 Trillion from the Fed in the last 4 years.....
I just don't see how they manage to make ends meet.

!!!
This is about poor people?
A report written by the same folks who not only bailed out the banks but somehow direct close to half of all our domestic spending on military and the poor are getting criticized?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Me, honestly, I'm not upset by the amount being spent on the needy. What tics me off is how little of that money actually gets to the people who need it.

Imagine what a different world we would live in if the needy actually got that $60,000 per family. Sure, it would make it unrpofitable for a working stiff like myself to get by on only $35,000 a year but, I'd feel a whole lot better if more of that money actually made it ot the needy instead of feeding the beaureaucracy.

edit on 11/1/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Me, honestly, I'm not upset by the amount being spent on the needy. What tics me off is how little of that money actually gets to the people who need it.

Imagine what a different world we would live in if the needy actually got that $60,000 per family.

You know what ticks me off? BS math...$350 bucks per year per family....THAT is the real number

OP article math based on a CRS report where the requesting GOP told them what they wanted measured (included)

"Welfare" Spending: Federal: 746 Billion + State level spending 280 Billion = Round off to a Trillion

1 Trillion (divided by) 16.8 Households living below the poverty line: Rounded off to 60k per household.

Now...Once we examine what they included in that 1 Trillion...The Earned Income Tax Credit? Child Tax Credit? Public Works projects?? Ya know, the crew that is repairing that road? they are a welfare expense. Child Support Enforcement?? Yes when courts and cops get paid to go after dead beats...that is a Welfare expense...Pell Grants...Early Start education initiatives.....Everything and Anything they could stuff in.

The list is endless of what they threw into that number...

Most sane minds consider TANF to be what the GOP call welfare...Ya know..foodstamps, Family assistance etc.

What was TANF in 2011? 6 Billion vs. 746 Billion that the GOP call Welfare.

6 Billion divided by 16.8 Million??? ....$350 bucks per year per family.

Check my posts on this thread...I have listed sources, including the actual CRS report that the GOP is using that lists all the insane stuff that they shoved into the report to inflate the numbers.
edit on 1-11-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-11-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Let's consider HUD (housing and urban development) for example. Here's an agency that is charged with getting people into affordable housing. One thing they do is development projects to build, renovate or acquire multi-family properties to create affordable housing in areas that need it. So do you think some organization like Habitat for Humanity or a similar organization does that development? Of course not. Instead, development companies owned by politically-connected 1%-ers get those projects and rake-in HUGE takes as a result. And the funny thing is the same companies get used over-and-over. Wonder why that is. You'd think it would go out to an audited bid process. It's all a scam and it's rigged.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Agreed. It's just one more scam for monetary redistribution.
Which is pretty much what government itself is the recipient of.
How either party can cry foul and then profit personally from the system is way past hypocritical.
edit on 1-11-2012 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The madness wit the Federal Government never stops.Turning into the same thing as Europe.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join