It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Films of the Public Domain - Halloween Triple Feature

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Happy Halloween

I got a triple feature for you guys today. These three movies and shorts are considered some of the best. The three shorts are classic Max Fleischer cartoons. One short features Cab Calloway, Minnie the Moocher. The other two are Swing you Sinners!, and Bimbo's Initiation. The features films are The House on Haunted Hill (1959); Deep Red, and Horror Express.

Betty Boop: Minnie the Moocher

The first short featured today is non other than Betty Boop Minnie the Moocher.

Max Fleischer's Minnie the Moocher was released on February 26, 1932. And features the Cab's most famous song of the same name. The short is about Betty and Bimbo running away and end up hiding a hollow tree while a rotoscoped Cab is animated as a Walrus that sings Minnie the Moocher.

References for Minnie the Moocher:
Wikipedia
IMDB
Archive.org

The House on Haunted Hill

The first feature film is The House on Haunted Hill, released on February 17, 1957. Directed by William Castle, and staring Vincent Price, and Carol Ohmart.

The film is about an eccentric millionaire Frederick Loren (Price) who invited five people to be guest for his wife's party, Annabelle (Ohmart). The party is being hosted in a rented house; where Loren promises 10,000 dollars for those who survive the night.

References for The House on Haunted Hill:
Wikipedia
IMDB
Archive.org

Swing you Sinners!

The second short for today is another of Max Fleischer shorts, Swing you Sinners!.

Swing you Sinners was released on September 24, 1930. An early short staring Bimbo; starts out with him chasing a chicken, getting caught and being chased by a Police Officer. And rounds up in a haunted cemetery. This short is described as, "tripping on acid, without the acid."

Information on whether this short is in the public domain is scant at the moment. If anyone is willing to do the research would be great.

References for Swing you Sinners!:
IMDB

Horror Express

The second feature film is Horror Express. Released on October 1972 (Spain), is a Spanish/British production, directed by Eugenio Martín; and staring, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Alberto de Mendoza and Telly Savalas.

Summery is provided by IMDB:

In 1906, in China, Professor Alexander Saxton discovers an ancient frozen fossil in the remote Province of Szechuan. He brings the remains of the being in a box to Shanghai and boards a trans-Siberian train, where he meets his acquaintance Dr. Wells. During the trip, a life force trapped in the frozen creature is released, killing and stealing the memories of the passengers. Written by Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

References for Horror Express:
Wikipedia
IMDB
Archive.org

Bimbo's Initiation

The third and final Fleischer short featured today is Bimbo's Initiation. Released on July 24, 1931. It starts out with Bimbo walking down the street and ends up falling down a manhole, and getting confronted by joining a secret society.

Note: Pay close attention in the beginning. You should see a mouse locking the manhole cover up. Guess who it represents.

References for Bimbo's Initiation:
Wikipedia
IMDB
Archive.org

Deep Red

The final full feature today is Dario Argento's Deep Red. Released on March 7, 1975, is an Italian Giallo horror movie staring David Hemmings.

This about a musician Marcus Daly (Hemmings) who investigates the violent murder of a psychic.

References for Deep Red:
Wikipedia
IMDB
Archive.org

Happy Hauntings.

The rules:
1. No posting other films.
2. Request must be submitted through private chat.
3. Riffing is highly encouraged if it is a bad film.
4. Trolling will not be tolerated, and I encourage the forumites to report them.
5. I don't expect people to like some of the content that will posted.
6. Constructive criticism and discussion is highly encourage.
edit on 31-10-2012 by ssj2gohan83 because: Added Rules

edit on 31-10-2012 by ssj2gohan83 because: Fixed Title

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Already got House on Haunted hill upstairs.

Get this one down you!

And this...

And well, since it follows on quite nicely from the "How to catch a witch" thread...This...

edit on 31-10-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Theatre of Blood is my favorite Price film. You should at least read the thread rules at the bottom of the post. The reason being is that I don't want the thread to get fragmented with videos and suggestions. So please be mindful next time, thanks.

I was going to do Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, 1920 release this Friday; but since you posted this film. I guess I can highlight it, even though its not in the public domain. Hence the title of the thread, "Films of the Public Domain."
edit on 31-10-2012 by ssj2gohan83 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-10-2012 by ssj2gohan83 because: Grammar errors

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Here's an oldie but a goodie:

Oh oh- seems I've broken rule #1. My bad!
edit on 31-10-2012 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ssj2gohan83

Terribly sorry, didn't realise you were God of this thread, nor that I was to adhere to any rules other than that laid down by TOS or other avenues that require particular order, such as the writers threads.
One would assume that since I brought these films forth from a public domain, that they may actually be public... Perhaps the assumption is wrong and for that I appologies profusely..

*Bows out backwards*

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

I just don't want these threads to become heavily fragmented that is all. So don't worry about it. Other threads that I will post elsewhere will be just be the normal kind.

I explained the reasoning for it in the first thread here.

Are you fan of Luci or Argento. 'Cause your avatar name reminds me those two.
edit on 31-10-2012 by ssj2gohan83 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ssj2gohan83

Both...Listening to Suspiria now while I get ready for the weekend.

edit on 1-11-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join