It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Sandy Create JOBS? , Rebuild America Employing more people!! HAVE YOUR SAY!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Guys I've been thinking, If this Hurricane Sandy storm really kicked the sh!t out of parts of America, Would this set america back in the National Debt if large amount of money is required to AID & Re-establish the states?

I believe the Hurricane Sandy Storm wont just effect the Presidential election but it will also effect the economic crises america is having, Low employment rate so on.. Now depict the "Super Storm" Destroying Small businesses, currently parts of the stock market building & now 3 hours ago i just found out news reporters predict Storm to hit different nuclear power plants.

- QUESTION -

Will these problems be fixable in the long term or short term no problem?
&
Would this raise the Unemployment rate? (Builders & Constructive workers required to help rebuild the states)
edit on 29-10-2012 by FeelingPure because: missing words

edit on 29-10-2012 by FeelingPure because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I was wondering the same thing today. My husband and I were talking about how it could open up jobs for people in construction and industries that will be necessary to rebuild what has been lost. Also, he commented about how after Katrina, business picked up at the factory he works at. They make aluminum parts for cars and lawn mowers mostly, but I guess they have capabilities that reach beyond that if necessary.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Well, I'll tell ya what. America is 16 trillion in the hole right now and running deficits over 1 Trillion to boot. Whats a trillion?

It's a bunch!

So, I hope you're onto something for jobs, OP. God knows we need them and the North East can use them as much or more than anyone else. It's a tragedy when good things have to come by such damage and possible suffering first...but I think you may just have a point if this is as damaging to property as it look as though it may be?

Just don't let any politician say we can't go like gangbusters on rebuilding and full steam with no exceptions. Money ins't the issue. We owe more than we can ever pay and QE-3 has 40 billion more printing per month, indefinitely. They can reprogram just some of that 40 billion and rebuild every broken window to broken home this storm causes.

Great thinking! It would give people paychecks in time for Xmas too! (Now..I pray no one else is hurt or killed by this thing in the mean time.)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks for the share, yeah its pretty sad how america owes more then they can pay if you think about it.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
There will be a bump in construction jobs and for the most part insurance companies will be footing the bill, hopefully. There is of course the problem with people that don't have flood insurance.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Cody618

Thanks for the video share, it has open up my eyes a little bit!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by FeelingPure

I don't really know about the national debt side of things, but hurricanes bring work! After a few major hurricanes in my neck of the woods there was not only plenty of work to go around for the locals, but also plenty of work to spare so that many out of towners were able to come down and get good work as well.

There is not only the clean ups and repairs but many new businesses have popped up after hurricanes. There is a job for anyone that wants one. Downside? Costs! The cost of rent goes up, building materials, food, clothing, you name it. Also, the job boom only lasts about two years.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Not a bad idea to be honest but big Public Works projects and infrastructure projects are only ever a short term solution. As long as people are made aware of that then there is nothing wrong with this idea.

I did read a post on one of our UK news outlets from an American lady based here in the UK. She was saying that what many over here in Britain (and Europe) struggled to understand was that in the US, power lines, etc, are over ground rather than underground. Is this true?

If it is, can i suggest moving them underground as a good start to rebuilding?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Jobs threatened or inhibited due to this storm will outweigh the number of jobs created.

Initial estimates by insurers put the damage at 20-40 billion dollars, with the stock market closed and North Americas largest city at a standstill, i could see the total economic lose far exceeding 40 billion, regardless of job creation.

This all depends on how long the crisis lasts of course, eg. Big difference between power being out for 3 days and 10.

edit on 30-10-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
just shrink it down to see if it would be a benefit or a loss by saying your home has taken on great damage, now your insurance doesn't cover it and you have to borrow money to fix it, do you think that scenario would benefit your financial situation? no it would not and neither will this benefit our economy, on the contrary it will hurt it.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

I don't think the OP meant it would be good for the economy. I think what the OP was getting at was that it can used to kickstart some infrastructure rebuilding, which would mean some good would come out of it.

Of course, i could be entirely wrong and that wasn't what the OP meant at all..........

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I was answering the title of the thread, offering my opinion on the economic issue as posed:

Hurricane Sandy Create JOBS? , Rebuild America Employing more people!! HAVE YOUR SAY!

I answered the question very generally in terms of economic growth via new jobs created from the clean up vs the economic lose incurred by this disaster.

As i concluded, the economic state will suffer a lose. Is that more clear for you?

Are you telling me "What I have to say" is not valid within the context of the OP?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Explanation: Uhhhm ... You stopped halfway in describing the aftermath ...

Yes the insurance companies will pay out ... but then they wont be making any profits this year and they wont be paying any dividends and where does that leave all the pensioners etc.?

Also they will bump their premiums up even further.

And WHO CAN AFFORD THAT!??? :shk:

Personal Disclosure: Sorry about the rotten 'pie in the sky thinking' and how that is now cloudily tarnishing that silver lining you were trying to mine polish for all it was worth.

Don't forget that this is just the START of the Hurricane season and regardless of whether NJ and or NYC can deal with Sandy ... can the insurance companies handle another natural disaster ... do they have the funds?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Did you get out of the grumpy side of bed this morning? Did i at any point criticize what you were saying?

No. All i said was that i do not think that was what the OP meant, not what you were you thinking.

Jesus, tetchy or what?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Yeah.

Another 10,000 Federal Aid Workers and 10,000 FEMA workers.

Is that what you need? Be honest. I'm not sure..

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

My apologies for the tone, as i did not intend it to sound so....poignant?

Economic recovery does tend to rile up my blood though

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Hey no problem, apology welcomed and accepted.

I would also like to offer my own apology for clearly being such a sensitive "flower" today!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Actually, we're nearing the end of hurricane season. Yes, it will create lots of jobs. Yes, people's insurance premiums will go up - throughout the nation. The government will supply low interest loans for those without flood insurance. However, if you have bad credit or are behind in your payments, you may not be eligible. Yes, it's only temporary for a couple years. But, that can be a good thing. Gets you out of the mud until something better comes along. For those who will be having repairs to their domiciles without going through an insurance company, CHECK the bidders license and bond out before accepting the work. Make sure they are licensed bonded. The information is available within the state's Contractors Board. Don't accept ANY excuses and don't try to save that buck. In the end, you WILL lose it. Don't pay 50% up front. Get references. When Katrina was over, and many other storms, the fraud and theft were in the millions. Don't be a victim of the monsters and vultures taking advantage of a bad situation
edit on 30-10-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
After Katrina the contractors brought in a lot of illegal labor for the cleanup. I don't think they are any more ethical now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join