It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Verizon Is Selling Your Data–Here's How To Opt Out Of It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Verizon customers should be ticked off about the company's practice of selling user data to marketers. Customers' geographic location, app usage, and Web browsing habits are quite literally for sale. Verizon's defense is simply that users can opt out if they want to. Here's how to do it.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I was surprised by how sneaky they are about this. On the same page you can also opt out of having your information in "relevant mobile advertising" and "business and marketing reports".

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by awakehuman

I went to my Verizon account and tried to change my settings.Each time it says:

We were unable to complete your requested change at this time. Please try again later.

I guess they don't want us to change the settings! Verizon's defense of the customer being able to opt out doesn't hold much water if their system won't let you do it!

edit on 29-10-2012 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Thanks! I just changed my settings.

Bastards..

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Changed my settings...Thanks OP....

Des

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I used to work for Verizon customer service and when they changed the policy I can tell you they had a lot of pissed off customers. I had to deal with a few myself. It was an easy enough couple clicks of the mouse to opt them out from this but I still got chewed out a few times because of it. I didn't agree with it myself and was more than willing to help them opt out. Verizon already makes tons of money, they have no reason to sell customer info, other than to appease their shareholders.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by thov420

I used to work for Verizon customer service and when they changed the policy I can tell you they had a lot of pissed off customers. I had to deal with a few myself. It was an easy enough couple clicks of the mouse to opt them out from this but I still got chewed out a few times because of it. I didn't agree with it myself and was more than willing to help them opt out. Verizon already makes tons of money, they have no reason to sell customer info, other than to appease their shareholders.

Thanks for sharing first hand info

top topics

join