It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian police urge Parliament to pass domestic spying bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
According to RT , Police across Canada are urging Ottawa to resurrect a controversial Internet surveillance bill that would allow them to monitor Canadians' digital activities in real-time without a warrant.The Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police has made a plea to on the federal government to pass Bill C-30, also known as the Protecting Children from Internet Predators Act ahead of a gathering by the provincial and federal justice ministers next week. The group is concerned that Parliament will be closed down before the legislation is passed.

“We have a fear that it will die on the order paper,” said Vancouver Police Chief Jim Chu, who is also the president of the association. “And if it does, then our investigators will be constrained and victims will suffer greater harm because of that,” the Canadian Press reports.
Deputy police chief Warren Lemcke agreed with Chu’s assessment, saying that “right now there are gangsters out there communicating about killing someone and we can't intercept that,” as cited by CBC news.
The legislature, introduced in the Canadian Parliament last February, demands that the country’s telecommunication industry provide law enforcement with the “authority to intercept communications and to require telecommunications service providers to provide subscriber and other information, without unreasonably impairing the privacy of individuals, the provision of telecommunications services to Canadians or the competitiveness of the Canadian telecommunications industry.”

LINK

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Hmm. A friend of mine said immediately after the Amanda Todd case, that this is what was going to happen. I have a feeling I am in for a big "Told You So"

Deputy police chief Warren Lemcke agreed with Chu’s assessment, saying that “right now there are gangsters out there communicating about killing someone and we can't intercept that,” as cited by CBC news.

And Um... from the article... That sounds like such a crock of #
edit on 28/10/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Monitor digital activities in real-time without a warrant ?
What Next , Detain indefinitely without a case ?
It shows they want a Police State
They want control over whole Internet

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by UltraMarine

I don't particularly care for the news source you linked, so I went searching for some others.

Here is the bill if anybody is interested in reading it;

www.parl.gc.ca...[/ur l]

and another source:

[url=http://www.vancouversun.com/chief+applauds+Bill/7457965/story.html]http://www.vancouversun.com/chief+applauds+Bill/7457965/story.html

It's an interview with a police chief and he says:

And Chu said police are not interested in "Internet spying," but simply in finding basic information about suspects in serious cases involving crimes such as kidnappings, murders and cyber-bullying. Read more: www.vancouversun.com...

edit on 28-10-2012 by Sissel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Thanks for the link
The police chief looks liks a Chinese

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
^ yes jim chu is chinese
the govt tried to bring this in maybee 6 monthes ago, it had a different name..the minister for public saftey said "if you dont support this bill you are supporting child molesters" ..i kid you not..you know something is a bull# deal when they try and shame the public into accepting this crap, anyway the public wasnt very impressed with toews choice of words..they changed the name and reviewed it and here we are again
here is a link to a story in the national post
news.nationalpost.com...

edit on 28-10-2012 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-10-2012 by vonclod because: added link

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by UltraMarine
Monitor digital activities in real-time without a warrant ?
What Next , Detain indefinitely without a case ?
It shows they want a Police State
They want control over whole Internet

What's funny (read ef'd up) is that the real bullies, the police, scumbags in government, bankers and their agents like the CRA, etc., want more power to monitor who they alone, through their distorted goggles and conflict of interest, deem to be bullies without due process. If this was specifically for the purposes of hunting down predators, I'd say give them the power, but we all know that's not what this is about. 99% of the time while a million kids go missing world-wide every year, the police do little to nothing. That would indicate to me that the police and government want the power so they cover their own tracks, so they can protect their employers, get rid of the whistle blowers before they can "breath out." A police bullet and an unmarked grave on crown land means case closed for whistle blowers and dissenters, and is a lot more effective than a gag order.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Yes, of course, they will only use it for the best possible motives! Even if I believed that utter crap what about tomorrow or the next day. The reason Police need warrants is to help prevent abuse of power. This is s slippery slope.

What police want is a situation that they think they can simply catch anyone by sitting in front of a computer. All that happens is that organized crime shifts to encryption, hidden or otherwise, and the Police only catch the real stupid idiots.

In my state in Australia there is a firm belief by our Police that anyone using encryption must be a criminal. They hold this belief quite strongly. So much so that during a major investigation into bike gangs a policeman left a laptop on the back seat of his car. It was stolen. The laptop was wide open, not even a password screen. The entire operation including names of undercover officers was so badly compromised that they had to 'rescue' their undercover operatives.

But they still hold to the mantra that encryption is evil.

Every single step that Governments have tried has been made redundant within weeks by white hats. The classic example is the development of truecrypt. Its history is a remarkable story of staying two steps ahead while making it very easy to use.

Police requests such as this one are made by morons who live in a fantasy world enabled by corruption and a constant need to protect their collective behinds.

P

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
How is that MILLIONS AND MILLION AND MILLIONS of people DO NOT want this.... And it pass.

We shut it down the first time.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
How is that MILLIONS AND MILLION AND MILLIONS of people DO NOT want this.... And it pass.

you know in the end they dont care what we want..a majority govt gets its way

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

I am pretty sure it was the CRTC that urged the government to get rid of the bill. I signed the petition against it but the government doesn't give a crap about what the people really want. Only 24.3% of Canadians actually voted for conservative last election but due to split votes we ended up with their majority. The system clearly does not work for the people anymore (if it ever really did). This time, I am sure this bill will pass.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
If the police are begging and are urging for this Bill they shouldn't hold there breath a lot of Canadians have spoken against there bill. As seen on the online news commenting sections.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
If the police are begging and are urging for this Bill they shouldn't hold there breath a lot of Canadians have spoken against there bill. As seen on the online news commenting sections.

unfortunatly i would be surprised if it didnt pass..the current govt will push it through..interesting to note it was the liberals who started this piece of crap bill

new topics

top topics

join